share rss forum feed

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12
reply to Benenstein

Re: Building a computer...in need of help!

said by Benenstein:

Hmm, let me see how much more it is to up it

I already did it for you. Why ask for help if you just disregard everything and do what you think is best? I'm genuinely puzzled.
--
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Ghastlyone
Premium
join:2009-01-07
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5
reply to Benenstein

said by Benenstein:

I only intend on putting my OS on an SSD, nothing else.

That's why I'm telling you to at least go 128gb. I'm sitting at only 45gb of unused space on my 128gb SSD right now, and that's only an OS, AVG anti virus, EVGA Precision, and some game save files.

SSD performance degrades with the higher amount of data you store. That's why people recommend going with larger SSD's.

Benenstein

join:2007-04-29
Lincoln, IL
reply to Krisnatharok

Im not disregarding everything. Im trying to juggle everything that i want. I dont need 240 GB on an SSD, i appreciate the help.

Ghastlyone
Premium
join:2009-01-07
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5
reply to Krisnatharok

said by Krisnatharok:

I'm busting against the limit for my 120 GB, my next build will have a 256 or 512 GB.

Yep...my next build down the road is getting a 512gb. I aint going anything less

Benenstein

Lincoln, IL
Reviews:
·Comcast

This is also my first build, i can start small and upgrade it later if need be. I dont want to go all out on my first build honestly. I appreciate everything you guys recommend though. Im getting told many things by people on here, a few of my friends who have built their own computers, and my brother that has his masters in computer science and has built several computers. Im juggling all of my options and trying to build the best, but not too expensive, computer.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
reply to Benenstein

said by Benenstein:

Im not disregarding everything. Im trying to juggle everything that i want. I dont need 240 GB on an SSD, i appreciate the help.

So what's your real budget? Obviously not $1700, because that budget accommodates everything I picked out quite well, including the peripherals.

How about you tell me what you don't like about my build, and I can swap out components or tell you the reasoning behind the choice.

Keeping in mind:
said by Benenstein:

Well, im an amateur. I have a few people helping me out that have built their own computers, but i want to branch out as much as possible. I have a budget of around $1,700 (Maximum!). I want to build a gaming computer that can handle almost anything that i throw at it.

--
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Benenstein

Lincoln, IL
Reviews:
·Comcast

Which is why i chose a maximum of 1,700...not to go as close to it as possible. While i did say im an amateur, i know quite a few people who are not amateurs. Everybody has had their own experiences with different companies and products.

I like your build, but its too pricey honestly. Like ive stated several times, i appreciate everything you guys are doing for me.

ironweasel
Weezy
Premium
join:2000-09-13
Belen, NM
kudos:1
reply to Benenstein

said by Benenstein:

This is also my first build, i can start small and upgrade it later if need be. I dont want to go all out on my first build honestly. I appreciate everything you guys recommend though. Im getting told many things by people on here, a few of my friends who have built their own computers, and my brother that has his masters in computer science and has built several computers. Im juggling all of my options and trying to build the best, but not too expensive, computer.

I'm going to leave some general recommendations here. I've been building computers for over 15 years and I'm A+ certified if that counts for anything. :lol:

Case: Unless you're going to drag it to LAN parties every weekend, you don't need acrylic side windows, LED fans, or any other "look at me" BS. Find a decent quality basic case that's big enough for what you intend to put in it. You can save money on the case and use it to upgrade other components.

Motherboard: Only one or two definite points. 1) Make sure it's compatible with your intended CPU & RAM. 2) Think about what you want to do in the future (SLI / Crossfire, more RAM, etc.) and buy accordingly. Everything else is personal preference.

CPU: Get the best you can afford within your intended usage. The i7, for example, spanks the i5 in multi-threaded applications where a lot of calculations are performed. Scientific simulations are a good example. The i7 doesn't much better than an i5 relative to the cost increase.

RAM: Think about what you want to do with it. High speed and low timing is always good regardless of what you do. For gaming, 8GB is about the norm. 16GB if you want to push it. 32GB+ if your board supports it and you have a legitimate need for it....like editing Titanic or something.

PSU: One of the most important components. Don't cheap out on this.....get the best one you can find in the appropriate wattage. 650w+ from a quality manufacturer.

SSD: 128GB at a minimum or 256GB+ if you want to be able to load and access more of your favorite apps with the speed a SSD provides.

HDD: 1TB minimum since everything you don't access on a frequent basis is going to go here.

Video card: Personal preference and predicted usage. Max eye candy at any cost - GTX 680 SLI. Most people usually settle for a mid-range product and the Radeon 7850 2GB or 7870 would be decent choices.
--
I'll be stretching out the rhyme like gravity stretches time.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
reply to Benenstein

said by Benenstein:

A Masters in Computer Science does not make you a pro at building gaming PCs, sorry.

You've given us a lot of conflicting information, which is why we're a little frustrated at this point.

What's your *real* budget, and what are your *real* desired performance? A 7800 will not max everything.
--

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
reply to Benenstein

said by Benenstein:

Which is why i chose a maximum of 1,700...not to go as close to it as possible.

That's what a maximum is. If you wanted a maximum of $1200, the build would look entirely different.

You choose how much you want to spend. You said $1700, I thought it was a pretty damn fine build for $1650, but you say that is too pricey. But you said $1700 to begin with.

Let's start over. Tell me what your budget is, and what games you want to max. I assume your TV (which is a bad idea for gaming) is 1920x1080?
--

Benenstein

Lincoln, IL
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Benenstein

Benenstein

Lincoln, IL
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Krisnatharok

Yes, my tv is 1920x1080. Ive been using it on my current computer without any flaws, i just dont want to spend more on a monitor is all.

The games that i want to max:

Sim city (Comes out in March)

Mass Effect 3

Ive been playing Dead Island on my xbox, tried it on my PC, but my current PC isnt strong enough.

Honestly, at this point, i would like to stick around $1,400...sorry about all of the confusion

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit

Do you want any peripherals (keyboard/headset/mouse) in the price?

Benenstein

Lincoln, IL

No thanks, I already own some from my current computer

ironweasel
Weezy
Premium
Belen, NM
reply to Benenstein

All excellent choices....if you actually buy them and aren't just posting them up to get us to shut up.

We're not trying to be dicks - we want you to be happy with your purchases. $1300 is a lot of money to spend on junk you aren't going to be happy with. Budget dictates performance and as your budget goes up so does performance but finding the proverbial "sweet spot" within your particular budget is always the goal. You want to maximize performance while maintaining the budget.

Some areas like the case & optical drive are prime spots to save money and to some extent the motherboard can be downsized if the budget dictates. If you're wanting to game on this machine then the most important components are the CPU, video card, and PSU with the RAM, motherboard, and internal storage (SSD / HDD) taking slightly less precedence but still being important in their own right. If you were doing 3D models or editing huge video files then the order of importance would change slightly.
--

Benenstein

Lincoln, IL

I understand! This is just all new to me...a lot of information is getting thrown at me at once...its just a little overwhelming for me is all.

Benenstein

Lincoln, IL
reply to Benenstein

My choices are also uneducated...what you guys are posting make a lot more sense, plus its only up to $100 more to make a lot of dramatic tweaks that will help my computer's performance

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
reply to Benenstein

If you take the peripherals out of my build, it comes to $1443. If you drop the GPU from the Nvidia GTX 670 down to a Radeon 7870, you will be under budget (actually ~$1310).
--

Benenstein

Lincoln, IL

Thanks, i really appreciate your help.

ironweasel
Weezy
Premium
Belen, NM
reply to Benenstein

said by Benenstein:

I understand! This is just all new to me...a lot of information is getting thrown at me at once...its just a little overwhelming for me is all.

Kris is a good guy....comes off a little brash sometimes but always gives excellent recommendations based on what you tell him you want.
--

Gordo74
Premium
join:2003-10-28
Monroeville, PA
reply to Krisnatharok

said by Krisnatharok:

If you take the peripherals out of my build, it comes to $1443. If you drop the GPU from the Nvidia GTX 670 down to a Radeon 7870, you will be under budget (actually ~$1310).

This. Do this. Pair what Kris had with a 7870 and you'll be set for years to come.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
reply to Benenstein

No problem, sorry for giving you a hard time earlier!

If this is your first time building a PC, I recommend you pick up the following to keep around permanently:

PC Toolkit (includes an anti-static wrist strap) - »www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···99261022

Arctic Silver 5 Thermal paste - »www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···35100008

This should give you all the tools you need to put your computer together.
--

Benenstein

Lincoln, IL

Thanks! I will add those in too

Benenstein

Lincoln, IL
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Benenstein

Ok guys, i do believe i have selected my final build. Here it is:

Case:

COOLER MASTER Storm Scout SGC-2000-KKN1-GP Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···11119196

Hard Drive:

Western Digital WD Black WD2002FAEX 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···22136792

Wireless Adaptor:

Rosewill RNX-N300X IEEE 802.11b/g

»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···33166051

Video Card (I can change the brand if needed):

ASUS HD7850-DC2-2GD5-V2 Radeon HD 7850 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···14121651

Power:

SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold ((SS-650KM Active PFC F3)) 650W ATX12V V2.3/EPS 12V V2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Full Modular Active PFC Power Supply

»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···17151088

RAM (2):

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-8GBXL

»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···20231426

MOBO:

ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···13157293

Processor:

Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I53570K

»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···19116504

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit - OEM

»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···32116986

Optical Drive (I might just go to a normal DVD drive):

LITE-ON Black 12X BD-R 2X BD-RE 16X DVD+R 12X DVD-RAM 8X BD-ROM SATA 12X Blu-ray Burner with Blu Ray 3D Feature IHBS112-04 - OEM

»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···27106369

SSD (I went for the 120GB):

»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···20167093

I hope all of this sounds good. Im comfortable with the build, i just hope that it looks good and is all compatible. Thank you guys for all of the help!

Total price of $1,382.02

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit

Bump the ram up to 1600 ram, don't use 1333 ram, that's for slower CPUs.

FizzyMyNizzy

join:2004-05-29
New York, NY
reply to Benenstein

I wouldn't buy it.

Benenstein

Lincoln, IL
reply to Krisnatharok

Thanks, i will switch out the RAM. Other than that, is everything compatible (will everything fit into the motherboard)? Would you recommend more fans, bluethooth, anything. Im on the verge of purchasing

Benenstein

Lincoln, IL
reply to FizzyMyNizzy

Why wouldnt you?

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
reply to Benenstein

said by Benenstein:

Thanks, i will switch out the RAM. Other than that, is everything compatible (will everything fit into the motherboard)? Would you recommend more fans, bluethooth, anything. Im on the verge of purchasing

You can add up to 2x 120mm fans on the side door of the computer.

As the case is set up, you would actually have negative air pressure (140mm in, 140mm + 120mm out), and you want positive air pressure inside the case for the best cooling.

So I'd pick up two 120mm case fans for the side door and just plug them into the motherboard fan headers if need-be.

Any fan can do, but I prefer Yate Loons (available over at FrozenCPU). These caught my eye as well, but I don't deal a lot with fans, so someone more informed might be able to point out the definitively best case fans for you.
--

Benenstein

Lincoln, IL

Thanks, i will add on a few fans and call it a day