Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Gordo74
Premium
join:2003-10-28
Monroeville, PA
reply to Krisnatharok

Re: Building a computer...in need of help!

said by Krisnatharok:

If you take the peripherals out of my build, it comes to $1443. If you drop the GPU from the Nvidia GTX 670 down to a Radeon 7870, you will be under budget (actually ~$1310).

This. Do this. Pair what Kris had with a 7870 and you'll be set for years to come.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12
reply to Benenstein
No problem, sorry for giving you a hard time earlier!

If this is your first time building a PC, I recommend you pick up the following to keep around permanently:

PC Toolkit (includes an anti-static wrist strap) - »www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···99261022

Arctic Silver 5 Thermal paste - »www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···35100008

This should give you all the tools you need to put your computer together.
--
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Benenstein

join:2007-04-29
Lincoln, IL
Thanks! I will add those in too

Benenstein

Lincoln, IL
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Benenstein
Ok guys, i do believe i have selected my final build. Here it is:

Case:

COOLER MASTER Storm Scout SGC-2000-KKN1-GP Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···11119196

Hard Drive:

Western Digital WD Black WD2002FAEX 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···22136792

Wireless Adaptor:

Rosewill RNX-N300X IEEE 802.11b/g

»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···33166051

Video Card (I can change the brand if needed):

ASUS HD7850-DC2-2GD5-V2 Radeon HD 7850 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···14121651

Power:

SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold ((SS-650KM Active PFC F3)) 650W ATX12V V2.3/EPS 12V V2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Full Modular Active PFC Power Supply

»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···17151088

RAM (2):

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-8GBXL

»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···20231426

MOBO:

ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···13157293

Processor:

Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I53570K

»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···19116504

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit - OEM

»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···32116986

Optical Drive (I might just go to a normal DVD drive):

LITE-ON Black 12X BD-R 2X BD-RE 16X DVD+R 12X DVD-RAM 8X BD-ROM SATA 12X Blu-ray Burner with Blu Ray 3D Feature IHBS112-04 - OEM

»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···27106369

SSD (I went for the 120GB):

»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···20167093

I hope all of this sounds good. Im comfortable with the build, i just hope that it looks good and is all compatible. Thank you guys for all of the help!

Total price of $1,382.02

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
Bump the ram up to 1600 ram, don't use 1333 ram, that's for slower CPUs.

FizzyMyNizzy

join:2004-05-29
New York, NY
reply to Benenstein
I wouldn't buy it.

Benenstein

Lincoln, IL
reply to Krisnatharok
Thanks, i will switch out the RAM. Other than that, is everything compatible (will everything fit into the motherboard)? Would you recommend more fans, bluethooth, anything. Im on the verge of purchasing

Benenstein

Lincoln, IL
reply to FizzyMyNizzy
Why wouldnt you?

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
reply to Benenstein
said by Benenstein:

Thanks, i will switch out the RAM. Other than that, is everything compatible (will everything fit into the motherboard)? Would you recommend more fans, bluethooth, anything. Im on the verge of purchasing

You can add up to 2x 120mm fans on the side door of the computer.

As the case is set up, you would actually have negative air pressure (140mm in, 140mm + 120mm out), and you want positive air pressure inside the case for the best cooling.

So I'd pick up two 120mm case fans for the side door and just plug them into the motherboard fan headers if need-be.

Any fan can do, but I prefer Yate Loons (available over at FrozenCPU). These caught my eye as well, but I don't deal a lot with fans, so someone more informed might be able to point out the definitively best case fans for you.
--
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Benenstein

Lincoln, IL
Thanks, i will add on a few fans and call it a day

FizzyMyNizzy

New York, NY
did you order the stuff already?

Benenstein

Lincoln, IL
Nope, i havent ordered anything yet

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
reply to FizzyMyNizzy
said by FizzyMyNizzy:

I wouldn't buy it.

said by FizzyMyNizzy:

If you're going to pop in here and offer one-liners, you ought to offer your reasoning or alternative as well.
--

demir
Premium
join:2010-07-15
usa

2 edits
reply to Benenstein
A 650 watt power supply seems like overkill for a 7850 --- I would recommend a 500 watt ---

»www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/am···w,6.html

Personally, I would opt for a regular dvd drive and no SSD and switch out that 7850 for a gtx 670 . . .

Kris will point out that the SSD speeds up the general system performance, but I'll point out that an SSD doesn't give you framerates in games. Personally, I'd rather have uber fps in a game than a faster loading time for windows and applications.

If I have the money -- I would definately get the SSD though --- if you are making a decision constrained by money, --- dump the SSD first IMO.

Depends on what you want.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
With his budget, an SSD should be in his build. SSDs also drastically speed up loading times--depending on the game you play, this could have a large impact on your gaming experience.

Good catch on the 7850, I thought he had picked a 7870.

The PSU was leftover from my selecting a 670/680. He could downsize, but that might preclude a later upgrade or dual GPUs.
--

Ghastlyone
Premium
join:2009-01-07
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5
reply to demir
said by demir:

A 650 watt power supply seems like overkill for a 7850 --- I would recommend a 500 watt ---

Why? A 650w PSU uses no more power then a 500w. Down the road when the OP wants to SLI, then he's got the power available to do so. You could put a 1000w PSU into a computer, and if hardware you're using only consumes, 200w of power, then that's all that'll be consumed.

said by demir:

Personally, I would opt for a regular dvd drive and no SSD and switch out that 7850 for a gtx 670 . . .

Kris will point out that the SSD speeds up the general system performance, but I'll point out that an SSD doesn't give you framerates in games. Personally, I'd rather have uber fps in a game than a faster loading time for windows and applications.

If I have the money -- I would definately get the SSD though --- if you are making a decision constrained by money, --- dump the SSD first IMO.

Depends on what you want.

First you say you wouldn't get an SSD, then you say you would definitely get the SSD? I'm not following you.

An SSD is one of the biggest performance boosting pieces of hardware you can install in a PC build. Does it give you more frames in games? Of course not. But why would you build a mediocre gaming PC, which most gaming enthusiasts don't solely game on their machines, just so you can slap a nicer GPU in the system?

Is there a reason why the OP couldn't crossfire 2 7850's down the road?

Installing an SSD on a brand new build is a whole lot easier then doing it after the fact.

demir
Premium
usa

1 edit
1) There's a cost difference in higher wattage power supplies.

2) If you have to make a financial decision between getting an SSD and getting a top end graphics card, I subjectively prefer the faster graphics in-game to greater overall system performance and slower in-game graphics. The OP's opinion on that may vary --- I'm just giving my opinion --- as sometimes people don't think about it until you give them a choice.

I do most of my non-gaming on my tablets --- office software, etc so the desktop is for nothing but gaming.

The OP could CF / SLI down the road, but in my opinion most people that don't do that from the get go --- don't end up doing so.

I agree on your last point, but my argument against the SSD isn't based on ease of installation --- it's based on money --- plain and simple.

Ghastlyone
Premium
join:2009-01-07
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5
said by demir:

1) There's a cost difference in higher wattage power supplies.

You said nothing about price, you were strictly talking about the wattage being overkill....

said by demir:

Regarding SSD's. I see no reason not to install an SSD in a current day, new PC build. Prices on these things are getting super cheap compared to a couple years ago. If your desire is to build a bomb ass gaming PC and you're barely skrimping money together where you have to eliminate hardware such as an SSD, then you might want to rethink your financial situation.

You gotta pay to play.

FizzyMyNizzy

New York, NY

4 edits
reply to Benenstein
there is a combo for that mainboard + windows 7 pro 64bit oem, that tower is not that good.. it only has USB 2.0. There is a case I think from rosewell(how ever you spell it.) That has 2 USB 3.0, 4 USB 2.0, and a SATA dock bay and a PSU combo. The SSD you should change it to G.SKILL Phoenix III 240GB for the same price. Change the video card to GTX 670 are something. I'm not sure do you want to do water cooling. There is a i5-3570k + H80 water cooling combo. Up to you on the wireless N, the newest one is wireless AC 1750 i think it was, the lower model is AC 1200 are something. But it is faster than Wireless N. But then you have to get a new router or what ever you are using. If I remember right.. there is a Blue G.Skill Ram 1866 2x8GB for like $69.99....or was it 79.99..

any way, back to borderlands 2.

»www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDeal···.1162871

»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···20231615

»www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDeal···.1165219

»www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDeal···.1032654

»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···20231614

demir
Premium
usa
reply to Ghastlyone
1)
quote:
I agree on your last point, but my argument against the SSD isn't based on ease of installation --- it's based on money --- plain and simple.
emphasis mine

2) While I don't doubt they are great additions to ANY computer they are not needed.

Given the same amount of money for a build --- going without an SSD and upgrading your video will result in a system with better framerates and quality in games --- every time.

Damn, you have to pay for these things? You're kidding right?

Benenstein

Lincoln, IL
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Benenstein
Ive changed a few things up...i went all out on a case. I figure that the only thing that im not going to upgrade is my case, so heres the case that i ordered:
»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···11139009

It gets great air circulation, has a place for cords, and has USB 3.

As for my video card, ive heard a lot of good things about MSI (i originally was going to get an MSI gaming laptop but got a Macbook Pro instead) so i decided to get this video card:

»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···14127696

I kept almost everything else the same except for my hard drive. I really dont need 2 TB, so i downgraded to 1 TB:

»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···22136533

Benenstein

Lincoln, IL
I cant wait to order everything and put it together. Ive shown all of my buddies my latest build list; they all love it, and so do I. This is going to be awesome.

FizzyMyNizzy

New York, NY
reply to Benenstein
why not pick the case + psu combo i picked. it has USB 3.0 and USB 2.0

Benenstein

Lincoln, IL
Ive already ordered my case. So far, ive ordered my case, SSD, and HD.

FizzyMyNizzy

New York, NY
You order the Intel 520 120GB SSD?

Benenstein

Lincoln, IL
330. I didnt need to spend the extra $100; i imagine the 520 is faster, i dont think an amateur like me will notice the speed difference. Ive never had an SSD, so any SSD will be an upgrade for me. I can also upgrade in the future.

FizzyMyNizzy

New York, NY
reply to Krisnatharok
said by Krisnatharok:

said by FizzyMyNizzy:

I wouldn't buy it.

said by FizzyMyNizzy:

If you're going to pop in here and offer one-liners, you ought to offer your reasoning or alternative as well.

I wrote the first one at night before I went to sleep.

If he did order all that stuff yesterday night. I wouldn't have took the time to look for the combo discount.

PS: looks like your friend change his mind again.

Benenstein

Lincoln, IL
I didnt order everything.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
reply to FizzyMyNizzy
said by FizzyMyNizzy:

why not pick the case + psu combo i picked. it has USB 3.0 and USB 2.0

It's hard to argue with a case that comes with five fans and a PLATINUM + MODULAR PSU.

But if he's trying to cut corners a tad, he could go with

Rosewill Challenger U3 - $60 - »www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···11147060

+

Rosewill Capstone 650w GOLD PSU - $90 - »www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···17182071

~$140 total, and even throw in a couple 120mm fans for $20 more.
--

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
reply to Benenstein
said by Benenstein:

I didnt order everything.

When you're done, could you post your final build here, as well as what prices you got on each component.
--