uniqs
share rss forum feed

Benenstein

join:2007-04-29
Lincoln, IL
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Benenstein

Re: Building a computer...in need of help!

Ive changed a few things up...i went all out on a case. I figure that the only thing that im not going to upgrade is my case, so heres the case that i ordered:
»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···11139009

It gets great air circulation, has a place for cords, and has USB 3.

As for my video card, ive heard a lot of good things about MSI (i originally was going to get an MSI gaming laptop but got a Macbook Pro instead) so i decided to get this video card:

»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···14127696

I kept almost everything else the same except for my hard drive. I really dont need 2 TB, so i downgraded to 1 TB:

»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···22136533

Benenstein

Lincoln, IL

I cant wait to order everything and put it together. Ive shown all of my buddies my latest build list; they all love it, and so do I. This is going to be awesome.

FizzyMyNizzy

join:2004-05-29
New York, NY
reply to Benenstein

why not pick the case + psu combo i picked. it has USB 3.0 and USB 2.0

Benenstein

Lincoln, IL

Ive already ordered my case. So far, ive ordered my case, SSD, and HD.

FizzyMyNizzy

New York, NY

You order the Intel 520 120GB SSD?

Benenstein

Lincoln, IL

330. I didnt need to spend the extra $100; i imagine the 520 is faster, i dont think an amateur like me will notice the speed difference. Ive never had an SSD, so any SSD will be an upgrade for me. I can also upgrade in the future.

FizzyMyNizzy

New York, NY
reply to Krisnatharok

said by Krisnatharok:

said by FizzyMyNizzy:

I wouldn't buy it.

said by FizzyMyNizzy:

did you order the stuff already?

If you're going to pop in here and offer one-liners, you ought to offer your reasoning or alternative as well.

I wrote the first one at night before I went to sleep.

If he did order all that stuff yesterday night. I wouldn't have took the time to look for the combo discount.

PS: looks like your friend change his mind again.

Benenstein

Lincoln, IL

I didnt order everything.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12
reply to FizzyMyNizzy

said by FizzyMyNizzy:

why not pick the case + psu combo i picked. it has USB 3.0 and USB 2.0

It's hard to argue with a case that comes with five fans and a PLATINUM + MODULAR PSU.

But if he's trying to cut corners a tad, he could go with

Rosewill Challenger U3 - $60 - »www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···11147060

+

Rosewill Capstone 650w GOLD PSU - $90 - »www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···17182071

~$140 total, and even throw in a couple 120mm fans for $20 more.
--
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
reply to Benenstein

said by Benenstein:

I didnt order everything.

When you're done, could you post your final build here, as well as what prices you got on each component.
--
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Benenstein

Lincoln, IL

Sure thing!

Benenstein

Lincoln, IL
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Benenstein

I just purchased everything...i got a bonus at work so i upgraded a couple of things.

Network Adaptor:

Rosewill N900PCE Wireless N Dual Band PCI Express Adapter
»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···33166076

Optical Drive:

ASUS Black Blu-ray Drive SATA Model BC-12B1ST/BLK/B/AS - OEM

»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···27135247

MOBO:

MSI Z77A-GD65 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS
»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···13130643

RAM:

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-1600C9D-16GXM
»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···20231568

Video Card:

MSI N660 Ti PE 2GD5/OC GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···14127696

Processor:

Intel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge 3.5GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I73770K
»secure.newegg.com/NewMyAccount/O···31213421

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit - OEM
»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···32116992

Power:

CORSAIR HX Series HX750 750W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC ...
»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···17139010

HD:
1 x Western Digital WD Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···22136533

SSD:
1 x Intel 330 Series Maple Crest SSDSC2CT120A3K5 2.5" 120GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···20167121

Case:
1 x Corsair Carbide Series 500R Black Steel structure with molded ABS plastic accent pieces ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···11139009

I do believe thats everything. Im pretty happy with my build...hopefully everything will work out.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit

i7 is unnecessary for gaming, would have seen the extra money towards a 7970, but I assume you have your reasons.

Hope the build goes well!
--

eve
Premium
join:2003-01-02
Alexandria, VA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

said by Krisnatharok:

i7 is unnecessary for gaming, would have seen the extra money towards a 7970, but I assume you have your reasons.

Hope the build goes well!

Would be my only critique as well. Maybe an aftermarket cooler (though you could get a decent one for $30 anyway) since your system would kind of be asking to be OCed.

Benenstein

Lincoln, IL

I actually was thinking about getting aftermarket cooling. Does it make a decent difference vs the fan that already comes worth it?

Ghastlyone
Premium
join:2009-01-07
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5

Anyone spending the money on an unlocked "K" version i7, would more then likely be overclocking it and would install aftermarket cooling.

If you're not OC'ing though, then the stock cooler will work okay.

Benenstein

Lincoln, IL
Reviews:
·Comcast

Sorry, im not trying to sound completely stupid, but overclocking im guessing increases the computers performance, right? As in speed only? My case allows for plenty of air flow, and if i do overclock my computer i will probably guy an aftermarket fan and a couple more fans for my case.

eve
Premium
join:2003-01-02
Alexandria, VA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

Basically it will. I don't think extra fans are necessary. Getting something like a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, which comes with a fan, will be more than enough cooling capability to overclock your i7 to 4.4-4.6 with no difficulty. Just my suggestion!

Benenstein

Lincoln, IL
Reviews:
·Comcast

Not a bad idea! Thanks! I imagine i will be doing all kinds of things to my computer once i actually get it up and running. Im building it this weekend (hopefully) so i will probably post a LOT of questions. Ive already been researching this, watching videos, etc.

Benenstein

Lincoln, IL
reply to eve

And is there anything else you would suggest that i buy? Just making sure before i purchase this fan

Ghastlyone
Premium
Las Vegas, NV
reply to Benenstein

If you're going to install an aftermarket cooler, then do it now when you first build it. Because installing one after the fact requires completely removing the motherboard from the case, being an 1155 socket.

Benenstein

Lincoln, IL

Thanks man, will do

Ghastlyone
Premium
Las Vegas, NV
reply to Benenstein

said by Benenstein:

And is there anything else you would suggest that i buy? Just making sure before i purchase this fan

Only thing I would suggest installing is some kind of fan controller. Most cases come with 4pin molex plugs for the fans which do not fit the motherboard. I'm not sure what type fans come with the case you ordered. But it's up to you how you configure your new rig. I just prefer fan controllers so then I can control everything right on the front of the PC.

Benenstein

Lincoln, IL

My case comes with a fan controller on the front of it i do believe, thanks though, im trying to think of all of the little things that i may have forgotten

Ghastlyone
Premium
Las Vegas, NV

Yep, I just noticed that. That's actually pretty cool.

You should be good on everything in your list there. Just make sure to post up some pics of the build after.

Benenstein

Lincoln, IL

Yup, i plan on taking pictures as well

TruSm0ke

join:2005-07-21
Michigan
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Benenstein

This is just a small detail, but from what I've read I'd probably choose a Corsair PSU. They might be alittle more expensive than other options but they are of extreme high quality. And opt for atleast 750W or higher. You never know if you might want to purchase another 680(or 700 series) down the road for SLI or Tri-SLI. When that happens, you'll wish you hadn't skimped out on a quality PSU.

Benenstein

Lincoln, IL

This is the one that i purchased: »www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···17139010

TruSm0ke

join:2005-07-21
Michigan
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by Benenstein:

This is the one that i purchased: »www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···17139010

That's a solid PSU! I have the same one. I mean, you have to remember that all of these expensive components are basically at the mercy of your PSU. If your PSU fails, it could kill everything its connected to.

750W is good. I wouldn't imagine you'd need any more than that *unless* you're going to add 2 or more high performance video cards and/or more than a few additional hard-drives.

Also, depending on what your needs are, generally the i5's CPU are great value/performance for gamers. While the i7 are still good for gaming, their main benefit is for video editing where they certainly excel over i5's. BUT if you do no video editing and you're strongest desire is strictly gaming, you will do amazing w/an i5 with exactly the same performance as an i7. Plus, by going with an i5 you'll also save about ~$100 or so dollars that you can put towards something like an SSD.

FizzyMyNizzy

New York, NY

1 edit
reply to Benenstein

Did you do the combo deal for the cpu + ram? save $14 for the same items. »www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDeal···.1174548

and use the money for:
Tuniq TX-4 Extreme Performance and Exceptional Reliability Thermal Compound
»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···35154012