uniqs
share rss forum feed

Ghastlyone
Premium
join:2009-01-07
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5
reply to Benenstein

Re: Building a computer...in need of help!

If you're going to install an aftermarket cooler, then do it now when you first build it. Because installing one after the fact requires completely removing the motherboard from the case, being an 1155 socket.

Benenstein

join:2007-04-29
Lincoln, IL
Thanks man, will do

Ghastlyone
Premium
Las Vegas, NV
reply to Benenstein
said by Benenstein:

And is there anything else you would suggest that i buy? Just making sure before i purchase this fan

Only thing I would suggest installing is some kind of fan controller. Most cases come with 4pin molex plugs for the fans which do not fit the motherboard. I'm not sure what type fans come with the case you ordered. But it's up to you how you configure your new rig. I just prefer fan controllers so then I can control everything right on the front of the PC.

Benenstein

Lincoln, IL
My case comes with a fan controller on the front of it i do believe, thanks though, im trying to think of all of the little things that i may have forgotten

Ghastlyone
Premium
Las Vegas, NV
Yep, I just noticed that. That's actually pretty cool.

You should be good on everything in your list there. Just make sure to post up some pics of the build after.

Benenstein

Lincoln, IL
Yup, i plan on taking pictures as well

TruSm0ke

join:2005-07-21
Michigan
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Benenstein
This is just a small detail, but from what I've read I'd probably choose a Corsair PSU. They might be alittle more expensive than other options but they are of extreme high quality. And opt for atleast 750W or higher. You never know if you might want to purchase another 680(or 700 series) down the road for SLI or Tri-SLI. When that happens, you'll wish you hadn't skimped out on a quality PSU.

Benenstein

Lincoln, IL
This is the one that i purchased: »www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···17139010

TruSm0ke

join:2005-07-21
Michigan
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by Benenstein:

This is the one that i purchased: »www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···17139010

That's a solid PSU! I have the same one. I mean, you have to remember that all of these expensive components are basically at the mercy of your PSU. If your PSU fails, it could kill everything its connected to.

750W is good. I wouldn't imagine you'd need any more than that *unless* you're going to add 2 or more high performance video cards and/or more than a few additional hard-drives.

Also, depending on what your needs are, generally the i5's CPU are great value/performance for gamers. While the i7 are still good for gaming, their main benefit is for video editing where they certainly excel over i5's. BUT if you do no video editing and you're strongest desire is strictly gaming, you will do amazing w/an i5 with exactly the same performance as an i7. Plus, by going with an i5 you'll also save about ~$100 or so dollars that you can put towards something like an SSD.

FizzyMyNizzy

join:2004-05-29
New York, NY

1 edit
reply to Benenstein
Did you do the combo deal for the cpu + ram? save $14 for the same items. »www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDeal···.1174548

and use the money for:
Tuniq TX-4 Extreme Performance and Exceptional Reliability Thermal Compound
»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···35154012

eve
Premium
join:2003-01-02
Alexandria, VA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

3 edits
reply to Ghastlyone
Not entirely true. Some cases nowadays (even relatively cheap ones) have a cutout panel that gives you access to the back of the motherboard where you'd install the brackets. Having said that, I would suggest getting them all at the same time. Not that you'd even turn your computer on without a heatsink/cooler.

The case he purchased does have that cutout, by the way. And from experience, I would suggest screwing your MoBo in and using that to help with the installation of the standoffs and mounting bracket. Or maybe I just failed at that step when I installed mine!

Benenstein

Lincoln, IL
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Benenstein
I think i may have ran into a problem. I was looking at my connections, and i noticed that nothing matches for my SSD. My MOBO came with a few cables, but nothing to connect my SSD to my MOBO. Am I missing something?

SSD:
»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···20167121

MOBO:
»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···13130643

Do i need to purchase a converter of some sort?

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12
SATA data cables should have come with the motherboard. The mobo shows a picture with SATA cables included.

Benenstein

Lincoln, IL
Thanks. Its still a little overwhelming. Im putting stuff together as i receive them so im not completely overwhelmed when i have everything. Not sure if its a great idea, but its working so far

eve
Premium
join:2003-01-02
Alexandria, VA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
said by Benenstein:

Thanks. Its still a little overwhelming. Im putting stuff together as i receive them so im not completely overwhelmed when i have everything. Not sure if its a great idea, but its working so far

This is just from personal experience but I would...

- Take the MoBo and install it into your case
- If you have an aftermarket cooler, you should have no problems installing the backplate and screws with it on (I had major problems with it since the screws would fall off when I tried to get the backplate secured. I must've been doing it wrong.
- Install CPU and cooler
- Install RAM
- Install GPU
- Install Optical
- Hook up wires

Good luck with your system though! The hardest part is getting the wires all neat and organized once you figure out what you're doing.

Benenstein

Lincoln, IL
Thanks! Yeah, it really is a mess