uniqs
share rss forum feed

peasoup42

join:2012-12-26
Ridgecrest, CA
reply to nunya

Re: Goodman furnace doesn't stay lit

@ nunya..

It's a GKS90703BXAA, horizontally mounted.

I removed the flame sensor (blue wired as per schematics). It appeared pretty clean and prolly from the furnace tech doing their cleaning of sensors and adjusting of vacuum switches. But, I gave it a few good swipes anyway with some fine emery cloth as mentioned by sergey3 and the link provided just to be sure. The igniter appeared clean as well, but I didn't remove that. Had the wife fire up the furnace and it appeared bright orange and lit off the flame nicely so I reinstalled the cover.

@ sergey3...

Thanks, for the link. Much appreciated as that problem shown was indeed quite similar to mine.

The furnace itself was installed about 5 years ago when the house was built. I'm the second owner and have no history / idea of previous heating problems. If it decides to act up as usual within the next 5-7 days, I'll post any new error codes it may generate.

nunya
LXI 483
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
kudos:12
Glad it's going. I'd order a new one anyway. It's about $10.

tp0d
yabbazooie
Premium
join:2001-02-13
Carnegie, PA
kudos:6
Never want to use anything 'sand' on a flame sensor. Sand is glass, glass is an insulator, and when you use sandpaper on a flamerod, it leaves particles of sand on the rod. When the flame heats it, the sand melts into the pores of the steel and will insulate portions of the rod.

Always use steel wool, or a knife to scratch any buildup off the surface of the rod.

You should have your furnace serviced yearly, for exactly this issue. Flamerods typically run 1-2yrs before they need a cleaning.

Do you have an intake pipe on your furnace? If not, the 2nd pipe will increase efficiency, and will also bring in cleaner air, which will cut down on flamerod issues..

-j
--
if it aint broke, tweak it!!
currently on FiOS (kick aZZ!)

peasoup42

join:2012-12-26
Ridgecrest, CA
reply to nunya
@ nunya...

Furnace failed again this morning with the same sequence of events in my original post above. I went up in the attic to disconnect power and 'reset' the system so the wife would have heat when she got ready for work. After about 30-45 secs, I plugged the unit back in and noticed the blink from the sight glass. Now without sounding too crazy, picture this as you read it cuz this is the way I seen the sequence. It went,

Steady light on, then "Ba-blink-blink-blink" and then a steady light (no repeat of the error code) and started its cycle of turning on.

Now with that said, do I interpret that as 3 blinks and forget the 'ba', 3.5 blinks because of the 'ba', or count it as 4 blinks?!? Very confusing because of the quick, original flash from the LED followed by 3 distinct blinks.

I unplugged the system when started acting exactly in my original post and it did the same, 'ba-blink-blink-blink' when I restored power. I left it plugged in as these short bursts of heat to the exchanger was keeping the house about 68F and told the wife to turn it down to about 60F when she left for work and give the system a break.

She texted me a little while ago before leaving for work and said the furnace appears to be operating normally since she couldn't hear the induction blower cycling on and off like yesterday morning and there was constant warm air coming from the air ducts. I told her to go ahead and turn it down just in case it acts up before I can waste another half day of vacation to address this.

Any thoughts??