join:2000-12-16
Santa Monica, CA
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·EarthLink
reply to linicx

Re: Someone has to pay for AMC

said by linicx:

That depends upon a lot of things. I no longer have a family to take to a steakhouse or anywhere else. At this point in my life I don't have the $150 to blow off for 250 channels I am not likely to watch or listen.

I don't know what the answer is.

The average satellite bill is nowhere near $150.

I understand if you feel you lack funds for either. You are in good company!

My point was that satellite is the cheaper of the two, and it benefits you for the entire month, while the steakhouse satisfies for only the evening.

linicx
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2002-12-03
United State
Reviews:
·TracFone Wireless
·CenturyLink

The steak is probably satisfying for 4 hours.. but at least with a steakhouse there is more than one choices. And if you live near LA there is even more choices.

Compared to LA, where I live is a pebble in the desert. There is no competition and no real choice. Unless, of course one considers 1 local telco, 1 regional cable company, and satellite, a real choice. There is no Comcast or AT&T. Being squeezed by all three every year leaves little to desire.

Satellite is no different. The channels that most people watch are moved into more expensive tiers. Even the ad free, free channel Classic Performing Arts (opera, ballet, classic music clips, and b/w movies from the 20s-40s) is only found in top tier and only on Dish. It is hidden in the 6000 -9000 range.
--
Mac: No windows, No Gates, Apple inside

elray

Santa Monica, CA
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·EarthLink

said by linicx:

The steak is probably satisfying for 4 hours.. but at least with a steakhouse there is more than one choices. And if you live near LA there is even more choices.

Compared to LA, where I live is a pebble in the desert. There is no competition and no real choice. Unless, of course one considers 1 local telco, 1 regional cable company, and satellite, a real choice. There is no Comcast or AT&T. Being squeezed by all three every year leaves little to desire.

We live in LA, and we have fewer choices than you do.

linicx
Caveat Emptor
Premium
United State

Wanna bet? If I want a good steak I drive 50 miles.
--

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170
kudos:2

Feh, who needs steak when ya have IN-N-OUT?

linicx
Caveat Emptor
Premium
United State

I have to drive 45 miles for the nearest thing to IN-N-OUT. It's called Steak n' Shake. Nothing but field corn, soybeans and two lane roads between.
--

elray

Santa Monica, CA
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·EarthLink
reply to linicx

said by linicx:

Wanna bet? If I want a good steak I drive 50 miles.

I was referring to pay-tv.

linicx
Caveat Emptor
Premium
United State

I am not sure what you call pay-tv. Where I live a phone and Internet, plus a separate dish, is a better deal than the cable, phone, and internet bundle. The signal is much better too.
--

elray

Santa Monica, CA
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·EarthLink

Pay-TV is a term that refers to ... TV that you pay for - Cable, Satellite, MMDS and now, TelcoTV. Perhaps someday soon, some form of IPTV / OTT or virtual-CATV (Aereo) will join the classification.

In our situation, we have only one choice for pay-tv, the local cable monopoly.

linicx
Caveat Emptor
Premium
United State

We have the ugly twins: small cable and small telco; both are expensive and both provide Internet. Direct-TV thru Telco is more expensive than Dish by subscription.
--