spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Toyotahurt

@comcast.net

Toyota agreed to lawsuit settlement of $1.1 billion

Toyota agreed to a lawsuit settlement of $1.1 billion to settle claims about unintended acceleration. That brings Toyota's total costs, including fines and recall costs to more than $3 billion so far. And all of it mostly bogus based on claims by really poor drivers.

»online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142···994.html

Mospaw
My socks don't match.
Hawaiian Jellyfish
join:2001-01-08
Mile High
kudos:1

1 recommendation

Here's a story that isn't trapped behind a paywall: »jalopnik.com/5971377/toyota-agre···lawsuits

Dodge
Premium
join:2002-11-27
reply to Toyotahurt

quote:
and about $200 million in attorneys' fees.

The true reason for the lawsuit.

John97
Over The Hills And Far Away
Premium
join:2000-11-14
Spring Hill, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House
·ooma

said by Dodge:

quote:
and about $200 million in attorneys' fees.

The true reason for the lawsuit.

Exactly. I am unaware of any instance where this "problem" has been able to have been duplicated anywhere. If someone else, please correct me.
--
So put me on a highway, and show me a sign.
And take it to the limit one more time...

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium
join:2001-11-14
Katy, TX
Reviews:
·row44

2 edits

I dont think anyone has.
The recall they did with the shim did not do anything as there really was no problem. They had to pretend there was to make all the stupid people who accidently pushed the gas feel better.

This settlement is just to get people to leave them alone. The $2 billion settlement prevents any future class action claims and large billion dollar payouts for Toyota and to install brake overrides systems in these cars. Toyota has not admitted fault to anything.
I would not want this brake override unless you could turn it off if needed.
Any future liability will be limited to individual lawsuits that will have million dollar settlements not billion dollar settlements which is good for Toyota financials by limiting future liability to lower dollar amounts.

said by »www.bdlive.co.za/world/americas/···g-claims :
The charge would cover payments to owners whose cars fell in value as well as covering the estimated costs of fitting new safety equipment to many affected vehicles. It will further extend warranty periods and reach a settlement that the district attorney of Orange County, California, brought over safety issues and an action brought by a series of states’ attorneys-general.

Hagens Berman said the settlement included $250m in payments to compensate former owners who sold their cars between September 2009 and December 2010. Another $250m would compensate owners ineligible for the brake-override system that the Toyota has devised to prevent future runaway incidents.
This kind of BS happens when the federal government owns your competitor.
--
...brought to you by Carl's Jr.

BonezX
Basement Dweller
Premium
join:2004-04-13
Canada
kudos:1

i'm still pissed off about this

»articles.cnn.com/2010-08-09/just···PM:CRIME

seriously, 1996 Camry, cable throttle, most likely in a state of dis-repair.

"Eichhorn-Hicks had stated in court that Lee must have had his foot on the accelerator, even though Lee himself always maintained that he had pumped the brake to no avail."
and not knowing how to properly use the ABS system.

whole heartedly believe that in most cases unless caused by blockage by direct stupidity(who honestly stacks floor mats?), it falls under driver error.

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium
Katy, TX
Reviews:
·row44

This seems messed up.
The article states the experts who examined the car found the brakes and gas to be working properly.
The state says there were no skid marks at the scene.

said by what happened :
Lee was convicted in 2007 for criminal vehicular homicide after crashing at high speed into the back of an Oldsmobile waiting at a light at the end of a St. Paul freeway exit ramp. Lee maintained that he tried desperately to stop, but his 1996 Toyota Camry raced out of control. The crash killed three people and injured two others.
He did turn down a guilty plea deal that had no jail time but being a felon which would be strange unless he is really innocent or crazy.
»www.law.umn.edu/news/innocence-c···010.html
I guess I would have to see all the evidence to have an opinion on it.

Every lawyer will use the 'toyota' defense if they can get away with it.
--

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium
join:2004-06-21
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

1 edit

Click for full size
said by r81984:

This seems messed up.
The article states the experts who examined the car found the brakes and gas to be working properly.

said by what happened :
Lee was convicted in 2007 for criminal vehicular homicide after crashing at high speed into the back of an Oldsmobile waiting at a light at the end of a St. Paul freeway exit ramp. Lee maintained that he tried desperately to stop, but his 1996 Toyota Camry raced out of control. The crash killed three people and injured two others.
He did turn down a guilty plea deal that had no jail time but being a felon which would be strange unless he is really innocent or crazy.
»www.law.umn.edu/news/innocence-c···010.html
I guess I would have to see all the evidence to have an opinion on it.

Every lawyer will use the 'toyota' defense if they can get away with it.

I have a issue as well my shoe does get caught on the throttle and the center console. MANUFACTURE design FLAW. Correctly designed center console would NOT have entry right there.

GM cutting corners just to save a dollar or two in plastic.

Nearly had a accident my self because of this .

DAMN! good thing the brake overrides the throttle.

you can see the wear/damage on the plastic were it gets caught on it
--
Well, does your car at least turn into something else? Sometimes I turn it into a trashcan. Hmm...

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium,VIP
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30
kudos:18
reply to r81984

said by r81984:

This seems messed up.

read this...

How To Deal With Unintended Acceleration
»www.caranddriver.com/features/ho···leration
--
What’s the point of owning a supercar if you can’t scare yourself stupid from time to time?

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium
Katy, TX
Reviews:
·row44

Click for full size
Thanks for the article.
Here is the picture from it.

I'm glad someone did that test as I always thought the brakes would still work at full throttle and they do.
Also you can always push your shifter from drive to nuetral without pushing the button.
I dont think I ever had a car where you cant switch from drive to nuetral in a split second.
--

FFH
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5

said by r81984:

I dont think I ever had a car where you cant switch from drive to nuetral in a split second.

That is the option every driver should ingrain in to their memory. Unfortunately some people can't think quickly when under stress and just flat out freeze when the unexpected occurs.
--
A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves money from the public treasury.