join:2007-02-03
Orlando, FL
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·T-Mobile US
·Sprint Mobile Br..

1 recommendation

said by amenite:

After several years I finally gave up my old Motorola and got a Casio GZone Ravine 2 C781. Ruggedized, it was the only flip phone they offered that 1. Can (allegedly) survive full immersion in water and 2. Let me keep my old plan. I don't need a data plan, just a phone.

The lid seemed too loose but I wasn't sure if this was normal for this model so I picked up a DOA from Ebay intending to dissect it. Problem is the screws are some type of security screw no one has pictured anywhere I've found. I've read the Nintendo DS has the same screws but I cannot confirm yet. I have some drivers on order that should work, but I thought I'd post a pic in case anyone can identify. They don't seem to meet the Tri-wing layout but is that just because they're really small? Anyway, so far so good for the phone, now I have a spare battery too

It is a TR1 tri-wing screw. Needs the same driver as for the Kyocera phones
»www.tessco.com/products/displayP···ntPage=1
--

amenite
The Soylent - It's People
Premium
join:2002-11-21
Ridgewood, NJ

The tri-wing 3.0mm definitely did the trick. Didn't seem like a perfect fit but worked OK. I can't really see a way to tighten up the cover so I guess that's just how it goes and hopefully it stays on.
--
Time is an abstract concept invented by carbon based life forms to monitor their constant decay.-Thunderclese

bobjohnson
Premium
Orlando, FL

I had to buy two different drivers because the first one wasn't right and wanted to strip the screw, but that is the correct one. I have a friend of mine that has the same phone. I will check his cover out and let you know.

amenite
Premium
Ridgewood, NJ

It's the hinge that I was trying to get at, and I was able to check it out. The way it's put together it looks like some kind of rivet type fastener on the left end and nothing on the other end where it feels a little loose. I'm not too concerned about it though, just would have been nice if it were a more solid fit.

Now I just need to resist the goading of my coworkers who want to see and hear it ring underwater
--
Time is an abstract concept invented by carbon based life forms to monitor their constant decay.-Thunderclese

bobjohnson
Premium
Orlando, FL
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·T-Mobile US
·Sprint Mobile Br..

said by amenite:

It's the hinge that I was trying to get at, and I was able to check it out. The way it's put together it looks like some kind of rivet type fastener on the left end and nothing on the other end where it feels a little loose. I'm not too concerned about it though, just would have been nice if it were a more solid fit.

Now I just need to resist the goading of my coworkers who want to see and hear it ring underwater

Oh, that makes sense. I see from my friends original ravine what you're talking about.
Not a coworker, but you can add me to the list of those that want to see it ring under water
--

amenite
Premium
Ridgewood, NJ

The unit I bought to disassemble actually still turns on. It won't receive calls or anything due to bad ESN but maybe I'll bring that one in to the office for some experiments.
--

Zach1
Premium
join:2006-11-26
NW Minnesota
reply to amenite

I've got the Gzone Boulder and have confirmed that it will, indeed, work under water even after being submerged for several hours. Mine manged to fall, undetected, out of my shirt pocket into a livestock watering tank. We found it by calling over and over until we heard the ring. That was nearly three years ago and it's still going strong without so much as a new battery.
--
Zach

amenite
Premium
Ridgewood, NJ

I found one comparison while deciding what to get that put the Boulder square over the Ravine 2, probably due to a guy with an early Ravine 2 having some problems out of the box. Mine seems to be a C781H which I'm guessing means revision H or something like that, and so far mine's been solid. I got a charging cradle from Santa so I don't have to pop that door off and on all the time too.
--

Zach1
Premium
join:2006-11-26
NW Minnesota

Hopefully the Ravine 2 works for you as well as the Boulder has worked for me. Mine is a C711SXB....no idea what the SXB means. By today's standards, the Boulder isn't fancy but the phone works very well and the browser is okay for the most basic stuff. I still can't believe the 3+ year-old original battery still goes nearly two weeks on a charge even with regular use in marginal signal areas. I too, have the charging cradle. After awhile, it may start acting flaky. Cleaning up the contact pads on the battery should straighten it out. Not sure about the Ravine but the recessed battery contacts on the Boulder are a bit of a PITA to get to.
--
Zach

amenite
Premium
Ridgewood, NJ

The contacts are recessed on the Ravine 2 also, I would usually just take a pencil eraser to something like that to clean the contacts up. My battery seems to go for about 3-4 days with moderate use. I think it's the display that kills these batteries more than anything. But I am happy to stay out of the "smart phone with dead battery" crowd. Everyone I know seems to be charging their phones all the time, or in need of a charge, or has some frankenstein case with integrated spare battery that doubles the size of the thing.
--

Expand your moderator at work