nightdesigns
Gone missing, back soon
Premium
join:2002-05-31
AZ
Reviews:
·CenturyLink

[WIN8] Desktop mode question

New to win8. In desktop mode, how do you find the programs to launch? I know you can pin a program to the task bar, but beyond that...?

I know you can add the start menu, hut I'm trying to understand the logic of desktop mode.
--
This Space for Rent...

BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium
join:2000-01-13
kudos:3
Here's a site to help you get more familiar with it. Programs not on the desktop, or taskbar are all in the metro start menu.
»www.networkworld.com/community/b···indows-8

I suggest you learn how to use Win 8 before all of the suggestions to replace it start in, and then you can do as you like, however at least know how to use it without 3rd party software.

Matt7

join:2001-01-02
Columbus, OH
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Insight Communic..
reply to nightdesigns

Hit the windows key.. it will bring up the start screen... right click in the bottom right and go to "all apps" ..

However what I did was remove all the Titles I am not using from the Start Screen and added my most used programs to it so I bring up the start screen and click the tile of the desktop app I use and it launches.

SoonerAl
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-23
Norman, OK
kudos:5

3 edits
Click for full size
Current Windows 8 Start screen
said by Matt7:

Hit the windows key.. it will bring up the start screen... right click in the bottom right and go to "all apps" ..

However what I did was remove all the Titles I am not using from the Start Screen and added my most used programs to it so I bring up the start screen and click the tile of the desktop app I use and it launches.

That's what I did on our upgraded Win 8 laptop (non-touch screen). I have it divided between the new apps and desktop apps except for Google Drive. The desktop apps are primarily for my wife although I do use Outlook for email. I pretty much stay in the new Win 8 Start screen and apps about 90% of the time. She likes the older desktop environment.

I have to add that I did try both Classic Shell and Start8 to get back the old Start button/icon. I even went so far as purchasing Start8 but have subsequently disabled its service and simply use the new Start interface. My wife can get to her classic desktop environment by clicking on Internet Explorer or the Desktop tiles on the right side of the Start screen. I did setup a number of icons for her on the classic desktop screen.

Freddy
Premium
join:2005-05-17
Arlington, VA
kudos:2
reply to nightdesigns
nightdesigns,

Also, you can navigate to the location of a program on the C drive, right click the executable (.exe) file, select Send to Desktop (create shortcut).

This step puts an icon on your desktop just like it always did.

Freddy

Kramer
Premium,Mod
join:2000-08-03
Richmond, VA
reply to nightdesigns
One of the easiest ways to find an app is to call up the Metro search function (WINKEY-F) and type a few letters of the name of the app. It is amazingly handy and fast. That works in Desktop mode by shoving you back into Metro. I'm not a huge Metro proponent, but that isn't too bad. If you use Classicshell, simply clicking the Start button and immediately typing the search string will retrieve the app name as well.

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA
reply to nightdesigns
Windows key, start typing the name, right click the icon, pin to taskbar... or, right click, open file location, then right click exe, Send to -> desktop shortcut.
--
My place : »www.schettino.us

Kramer
Premium,Mod
join:2000-08-03
Richmond, VA

1 edit
Yep, I stand corrected. Winkey-F searches files

Good article on searching: »winsupersite.com/windows-8/windo···g-search
Expand your moderator at work