uniqs
share rss forum feed

TherapyChick

join:2003-09-19
Fayetteville, NC

Christmas Cleanup...

Click for full size
Crazy defrag
During the holidays I make the annual trip to the in-laws, and I must have OCD because I can't help to do a little clean-up on their computer. Defrag, virus cleanup, updates, etc..

The defrag makes me cringe everytime, thought I'd share a screenshot for you all.

I bring my own laptop to use, their computer is almost unbearable for me. Not trying to sound snobby but it's VERY slow and they just don't care about it like techy does, I guess it's typical for the "average" user.
--
Therapy Chicks

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:6
It actually defrags at only 15% free space?

Ryno
The Wanderer
Premium
join:2001-04-07
Danielsville, PA
reply to TherapyChick
You should have bought them a new HD and some RAM. I bet it would speed up. Though it's an really old computer it can still be productive.

TherapyChick

Fayetteville, NC
What's bad is it is actually a fairly "new" PC. They got it last year custom built by my brother-in-law who did this and put XP on it for some reason...

It's got 2GB RAM which isn't too bad for XP but yes the HD is barely large enough for XP and all the Windows Updates, no idea why he put such a small drive in it. There are really no documents, pictures, videos, or applications taking up much space.

They both have tablets (Toshiba Thrive and Samsung Galaxy) and really don't care or use this PC much, so I'm not sinking any money into it.
--
Therapy Chicks

TherapyChick

Fayetteville, NC

1 edit
reply to Mele20
Click for full size
MSIzap.exe
Click for full size
Defrag after
said by Mele20:

It actually defrags at only 15% free space?

It attempted, but didn't defrag much of it. After a little digging around I found there were a ton of \windows\installer files that were taking up a huge amount of space.

I found these two helpful pages:
»nerdoftherings.net/wp/?p=66
»msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library ··· %29.aspx

And I ran "MSIzap.exe G" and it freed up a bunch of space.

Shown above is the "after" of the defrag a few times (3) and MSIzap.exe running.

Note: The "27GB Hard Drive 2" didn't show up initially until after a reboot, appears it does have another small hard drive in here but there's really no data files on the C: drive I can move over there to free up space, but after running MSIzap it's got plenty of space now on C: drive anyway!

Edit: updated defrag image after resetting pagefile.

--
Therapy Chicks

plencnerb
Premium
join:2000-09-25
Carpentersville, IL
kudos:3
Yeah that looks much better. XP has a small footprint (Windows folder should only be 2-4 GB in size). Then add in a few gig's for installed applications, so 10 GB would be about right.

I take it you also looked at the temp folders too? Windows XP was really bad (well, what OS is good about it LOL) about not cleaning up after itself, so you could free up a bit more space there too.

--Brian

TherapyChick

Fayetteville, NC
Yes - I deleted all the temp folders, and also had initially tried freeing space by temporarily changing the pagefile to 2MB vs the 2GB it was, but that didn't help much with the defragging.

I put the pagefile to "system managed" now so it's at between 2-3GB.
--
Therapy Chicks

Dustyn
Premium
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
kudos:11
reply to TherapyChick
Probably wouldn't be a bad idea to run chkdsk c: /f on that volume too.

JALevinworth

@embarqhsd.net
reply to TherapyChick
said by TherapyChick:

Yes - I deleted all the temp folders,

You'll find additional temp files and old update installers that are able to be removed with ccleaner in addition:
»[Updated] CCleaner 3.26.1888 released

You might also be interested in auslogic's disk defrag - Does a better job (and faster) than the built in diskdefrag.
»[Updated] Auslogics Disk Defrag..Ver.3.6.0.0..Dec.12/12..[Free]

[NOTE: DURING INSTALL, WATCH THE DIALOGS CAREFULLY FOR BOTH TO UNCHECK BUNDLED PROGRAMS SUCH AS INCLUDING CHROME, ETC WITH THE INSTALL IF YOU DO NOT WANT THOSE TOO]

said by TherapyChick:

and also had initially tried freeing space by temporarily changing the pagefile to 2MB vs the 2GB it was, but that didn't help much with the defragging.

I put the pagefile to "system managed" now so it's at between 2-3GB.

I don't know what is on that other drive there, but if there is available space you can move the pagefile onto that E: drive, which will free up C: space and will even swap faster not being on the same drive as the OS. Do that by going back to the swap file settings, and creating the same that you had for C: on E:, and then choosing "no page file" for C:. After you reboot, the C: will then swap on E: (Also, be careful if you had custom settings before rather than the system managed you changed to. Some have custom settings set there for optimal performance, rather than "system managed". There's a lot to read up on this topic, but custom sizes are usually there for a reason... commonly you find it's set to be 1.5 times the size of your RAM, etc. - If system managed is running fine for you now, then it might not matter, but you don't want to have a pagefile too small or it can't do it's job properly and will degrade performance).

One last thing you could do.. IF you have lots of space available on that E: you could move their "my documents" folder over to it (which will also take My Pictures, My Videos, My Music, etc with it too, so make sure you know the size of My Docs before doing this). The simplest way is R-Click on the My Documents on the start bar, and choose properties. There you can change the path to another drive. Once you hit apply it will then move all the My Docs to that other drive and will continue to store them there thereafter.

-Jim

PS, I second Dustyn's suggestion to do a chkdsk (on both of those drives.). I'd even run it twice for good measure.

TherapyChick

Fayetteville, NC
I'll check out ccleaner, although I'm pretty sure I got all the temp folders and all the old updated installers already.

I am going to leave the pagefile on the C: drive because I don't really trust that other E: drive, it wasn't showing up the first time I defragged, only appeared after a reboot so don't want to take a chance on it not being available with the pagefile.

There was nothing "optimal" about this PC setup before I worked on it.

The My Documents folders are virtually empty, no pics, docs, etc so I'm leaving those alone too.
--
Therapy Chicks

TherapyChick

Fayetteville, NC
reply to Dustyn
said by Dustyn:

Thanks, just did that, it didn't find anything bad that I saw.

What I'm really curious is the "your moderator at work" replies lol
Can't imagine what negative thing someone could say in this very non-controversial topic...
--
Therapy Chicks

JALevinworth

@embarqhsd.net
reply to JALevinworth
I'll add, if you do move system swap file to the E: drive OR move the mydocs directory to E:, be sure to fully defrag E: first so it's tightened up before putting new files on, and then do another defrag after it's done. Also, chkdsk /f

Dustyn
Premium
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
kudos:11
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to TherapyChick
said by TherapyChick:

said by Dustyn:

Thanks, just did that, it didn't find anything bad that I saw.

Can't imagine what negative thing someone could say in this very non-controversial topic...

Those are usually in relation to a member who is on probation for something unrelated to this post, or an anonymous user. Mods just filter some of those postings first.
--
Remember that cool hidden "Graffiti Wall" here on BBR? After the name change I became the "owner", so to speak as it became: Dustyn's Wall »[Serious] RIP

JALevinworth

@embarqhsd.net
reply to TherapyChick
Sounds good - You know the system and certainly can gauge what's best.

BTW, I have another post in pending that I added at 02:12PM to my above reply. It's not necessary now per your reply, but will show up at some point.

-Jim
2012-12-27 14:43:18

JALevinworth

@embarqhsd.net
reply to Dustyn
said by Dustyn:

said by TherapyChick:

Those are usually in relation to a member who is on probation for something unrelated to this post, or an anonymous user. Mods just filter some of those postings first.

It was probably me. All anon posts have to be manually read and pre-screened before posting. Sometimes, if the staff is short or very busy, this can take a while. I had a few pending and then showed up at odd times today (like above). There was a fix once where a mod could mark you (I assume your IP) "ok" if known you aren't trouble, but that fix got undone last code restore post the power outage some time back. Now, it's a wait for the kindly mods each time again.

-Jim
2012-12-27 20:37:29
Expand your moderator at work

Premium
join:2003-09-29
New York, NY
reply to JALevinworth

Re: Christmas Cleanup...

Instead of the Microsoft defragger which is notoriously slow, check out the Auslogics one, at least it'll get the job done this decade.

»www.auslogics.com/en/software/di ··· ownload/

Just sayin'