spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

mendinfences8

join:2012-12-05

Next Stage - Directional Antenna Trial

We are going to try this ONE LAST THING before we give up the Sprint plan.

Turns out, we are, MAX, one mile from the Sprint Tower. I can literally SEE the blinking light on top of the tower. For all the good that is doing me.

We got a directional antenna but have not been able to put it up yet due to holidays and very bad weather today. Tomorrow is the day. We are going to mount it up high, hooked into the Cyfre amp and will try it with and without the Cradlepoint. (Need the router at some point but will do both for testing purposes.)

I think Gord (MaxSignal) might have been right when he was suggesting that the problems we have seen are related to an overloaded tower. Sigh. But ... we will give this a try.

QUESTIONS:
- what signal strength should I be looking for? In fact, what settings should I be watching, period?
- if the Cpoint status report says 1xEV-DO, does that mean we ARE getting EVDO connection?
- will changing the channels using the Cpoint settings likely be helpful? (I did mess with this some today and it didn't seem help the speed test results.)
- is there ANYthing, other than overload, that can account for this lack of good connection and speed when I have a line of sight on that tower?
- other thoughts and/or suggestions?

I literally sat here typing, connected at -76 and got dropped to -110 on signal strength.

I have been reading and trying to educate myself but, honestly, there is waaaay too much to know to just try to fix this in a straightforward way.

Appreciate any MORE help or suggestions before we jump ship to the Verizon plan. (Not the end of the world, I know. LOL)

As always, thank you so much for your continued help.

~linda

(Gord, hope you had a nice visit with bro ...)

nogaps

join:2011-01-08
Greenbush, MI
- I look for signal strength dBm below -80 (-60 to -80). Ec/Io at close to zero.
- yes on 1xEV-DO = EVDO.
- Changing channels for WiFi (assuming that is what you are referring to) has nothing to do with your 3G signal.
- Easiest test is to take a laptop with a 3G modem right to the tower to get a baseline on signal and speed.

Jack_in_VA
Premium
join:2007-11-26
North, VA
kudos:1
reply to mendinfences8
Mendinfences stick with advice from Jim_in_Va and Max. You can't go wrong or spend a lot of time and money that's not needed.

Don't dwell too much on signal strength. I've had it all over the place without too much change in performance.

mendinfences8

Re: Next Stage - Directional Antenna Trial- Update

We have now gone from bad to worse.

Accidentally ended up with tech support when I was on chat to confirm cancellation policy because we figured we'd have to change to another plan. One thing led to another. I'll try to recap.

It appears that the tower that is in line of sight from the device AND was the one Sprint said is our closest tower and that they gave us the coordinates for so we could point the directional antenna at it ... well .............. NO SERVICE from that tower to device. Seriously? I even drove over there.

I then drove toward the next closest tower and got full bars and did a speed test once connected. This tower, by the way, is MUCH farther away from home place. Anyhow, ping at 183, down at .37 and up at .48. This is close to what I was getting before we started dinking around again.

Etc, etc. Reported all to tech guy. He did a reset. Had me back on Smartview. Had me update profile. (Jim, it still doesn't say celestial. In fact, it says franklin .... )

Tech guy thinks bad device. Wants me to go into town and away from towers to try to connect. I don't get that but am willing to try.

I don't understand the Sprint tower being so close and not working with device. Something seems just too odd there. And going into town, out of range???? I dunno.

So, I can cancel this BYOD account and
a) buy a Sprint plan from Mill
b) go to the VZ plan

I would sure like to know what the deal is here, though. Honestly, TWO bad devices??? Really??? Even I know the odds are sketchy on that. Not the amp b/c it clearly increases the signal as there is either barely or none without it.

So ......... there ya have it. Again.

Thanks.

~linda

dib22

join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO
said by mendinfences8:

NO SERVICE from that tower to device. Seriously? I even drove over there.

They do tower hop year to year based on the best rate they can get to be on the tower... perhaps they *were* on that tower and moved... you can usually tell different tower companies as they use different tower styles

Tech guy thinks bad device. Wants me to go into town and away from towers to try to connect. I don't get that but am willing to try.

He is most likely trying to get you away from the area so you will hook onto another tower... if everything works fine then he knows its not the device, but is the local tower instead. Basically drive away from your area TOWARDS a major city at least 10 miles and you will end up on another tower.

mendinfences8

Tonight, I took the laptop with us through town and out a good distance. Remember, rural area so not town to town. On the way out, got some signal, even up to great BUT ... all, I realized, on 1x. On the way home, I found a setting in Watcher that puts device on EVDO only. That setting ........... no signal, search, search, search.

Thanks for clarifying about the tower situation. That makes sense.

At this point, I have to assume that it is the device and/or that I cannot get EV service in this area. Lots of gear here now (amp, antenna, router, directional antenna). I can maybe return some of it or sell it. I'm still considering switching over to the Mill plan with Sprint IF I would only be out the $15 in shipping (if for no other reason than to satisfy my reluctant belief that TWO devices could be bad). OR ... I could just stop making myself crazy and go for the VZ plan. I am clinging to the other just so we can have the convenience of downloading movies and such.

cbobby

join:2009-06-14
New Windsor, MD

1 edit
said by mendinfences8:

Tonight, I took the laptop with us through town and out a good distance. Remember, rural area so not town to town. On the way out, got some signal, even up to great BUT ... all, I realized, on 1x. On the way home, I found a setting in Watcher that puts device on EVDO only. That setting ........... no signal, search, search, search.

in one of your other threads I directed you to a "Sprint Tower Upgrade in the last 6 months" web page.

I went to that thread and entered the 2 ZIP Codes that you posted as your location....for one ZIP the map showed Zero Sprint upgrades to any towers....infact it showed no towers.

»network.sprint.com/search/37857/

for the 2nd ZIP the mape showed only VOICE upgrades and those were clustered around Greenville where there were several Sprint Towers

»network.sprint.com/search/37711/

Go to this page---Sprint Coverage

»coverage.sprint.com/IMPACT.jsp?E···coverage

and enter your ZIP Code, Choosing DATA From the Tabs above the Map and

THEN Click on the BLUED
Sprint 3G & more
Filter coverage by Sprint 3G & more for more info

from the Right Hand Data Coverage Menu

The result shows no/very limited 3G coverage for either of those ZIP Codes

Try it yourself.

Sprint Coverage in your area is Limited

mendinfences8

Thanks so much for digging around more for me on the coverage. Though I had not filtered it down in past searches, I did this time and I do come up with Nationwide coverage. Perhaps I'm doing that incorrectly. I also relied on sprint customer service and tech support responses but ... Yeah ... But. LOL

I think it's time I just go with what seems a better coverage option. The question now would be the hotspot or advanced with a stick. I have a Cradlepoint but I might be able to return it. It's one less device to mess with, I suppose.

As always, I thank you all for coming here to help folks. Living in the sticks is wonderful except for these few areas. But, at least we have these options now. I remember when it was only dial up. Aiiieeee.