uniqs

Ghastlyone
Premium Member
join:2009-01-07
Nashville, TN

Ghastlyone to Krisnatharok

Premium Member

to Krisnatharok

Re: Building a computer...in need of help!

My Rosewill case was $89.99 on sale, and that was pushing it price wise for me. I can't see spending $120.00 on a case. That shit better be the baddest ass case on the planet for that amount of money.

HDD, I agree. The customer service I received on my WD Caviar Black was second to none. Even though I had to RMA it, Western Digital came through with top notch customer service for me.

Regarding the SSD, I don't know why he keeps linking a 60gb drive. He'll fill that thing completely in no time. I was surprised mine filled up as quick as it did.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

I'm busting against the limit for my 120 GB, my next build will have a 256 or 512 GB.

I can see splurging on a case, but it better be a Rosewill Thor / HAF X / Corsair 800 or something along those lines.
Benenstein
join:2007-04-29
Bloomington, IL

Benenstein to Ghastlyone

to Ghastlyone
I only intend on putting my OS on an SSD, nothing else. I will switch my HD to a WD Cavier Black though. Maybe even look into getting a cheaper case

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

said by Benenstein:

I only intend on putting my OS on an SSD, nothing else.

No, you won't. Take the word of someone who uses SSDs in his laptops and desktops.

You want to put the games (and all non-game programs) you most commonly play on the SSD as well. For me that's LoL, WoW, GW2, BF3, and Firefall.

It adds up quickly.

ironweasel
Weezy
Premium Member
join:2000-09-13
Belen, NM

ironweasel to Benenstein

Premium Member

to Benenstein
Rather than the Antec 900 maybe go for the Antec 300. Not nearly as "flashy" but still has plenty of substance, can fit a full ATX board, and can fit the majority of the huge graphics cards out there.

Big selling point....it's only $60.
Benenstein
Bloomington, IL

Benenstein to Krisnatharok

to Krisnatharok
Hmm, let me see how much more it is to up it

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

said by Benenstein:

Hmm, let me see how much more it is to up it

I already did it for you. Why ask for help if you just disregard everything and do what you think is best? I'm genuinely puzzled.

Ghastlyone
Premium Member
Nashville, TN

Ghastlyone to Benenstein

Premium Member

to Benenstein
said by Benenstein:

I only intend on putting my OS on an SSD, nothing else.

That's why I'm telling you to at least go 128gb. I'm sitting at only 45gb of unused space on my 128gb SSD right now, and that's only an OS, AVG anti virus, EVGA Precision, and some game save files.

SSD performance degrades with the higher amount of data you store. That's why people recommend going with larger SSD's.
Benenstein
Bloomington, IL

Benenstein to Krisnatharok

to Krisnatharok
Im not disregarding everything. Im trying to juggle everything that i want. I dont need 240 GB on an SSD, i appreciate the help.

Ghastlyone
Premium Member
Nashville, TN

Ghastlyone to Krisnatharok

Premium Member

to Krisnatharok
said by Krisnatharok:

I'm busting against the limit for my 120 GB, my next build will have a 256 or 512 GB.

Yep...my next build down the road is getting a 512gb. I aint going anything less
Benenstein
Bloomington, IL

Benenstein

This is also my first build, i can start small and upgrade it later if need be. I dont want to go all out on my first build honestly. I appreciate everything you guys recommend though. Im getting told many things by people on here, a few of my friends who have built their own computers, and my brother that has his masters in computer science and has built several computers. Im juggling all of my options and trying to build the best, but not too expensive, computer.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok to Benenstein

Premium Member

to Benenstein
said by Benenstein:

Im not disregarding everything. Im trying to juggle everything that i want. I dont need 240 GB on an SSD, i appreciate the help.

So what's your real budget? Obviously not $1700, because that budget accommodates everything I picked out quite well, including the peripherals.

How about you tell me what you don't like about my build, and I can swap out components or tell you the reasoning behind the choice.

Keeping in mind:
said by Benenstein:

Well, im an amateur. I have a few people helping me out that have built their own computers, but i want to branch out as much as possible. I have a budget of around $1,700 (Maximum!). I want to build a gaming computer that can handle almost anything that i throw at it.

Benenstein
Bloomington, IL

Benenstein

Which is why i chose a maximum of 1,700...not to go as close to it as possible. While i did say im an amateur, i know quite a few people who are not amateurs. Everybody has had their own experiences with different companies and products.

I like your build, but its too pricey honestly. Like ive stated several times, i appreciate everything you guys are doing for me.

ironweasel
Weezy
Premium Member
join:2000-09-13
Belen, NM

ironweasel to Benenstein

Premium Member

to Benenstein
said by Benenstein:

This is also my first build, i can start small and upgrade it later if need be. I dont want to go all out on my first build honestly. I appreciate everything you guys recommend though. Im getting told many things by people on here, a few of my friends who have built their own computers, and my brother that has his masters in computer science and has built several computers. Im juggling all of my options and trying to build the best, but not too expensive, computer.

I'm going to leave some general recommendations here. I've been building computers for over 15 years and I'm A+ certified if that counts for anything. :lol:

Case: Unless you're going to drag it to LAN parties every weekend, you don't need acrylic side windows, LED fans, or any other "look at me" BS. Find a decent quality basic case that's big enough for what you intend to put in it. You can save money on the case and use it to upgrade other components.

Motherboard: Only one or two definite points. 1) Make sure it's compatible with your intended CPU & RAM. 2) Think about what you want to do in the future (SLI / Crossfire, more RAM, etc.) and buy accordingly. Everything else is personal preference.

CPU: Get the best you can afford within your intended usage. The i7, for example, spanks the i5 in multi-threaded applications where a lot of calculations are performed. Scientific simulations are a good example. The i7 doesn't much better than an i5 relative to the cost increase.

RAM: Think about what you want to do with it. High speed and low timing is always good regardless of what you do. For gaming, 8GB is about the norm. 16GB if you want to push it. 32GB+ if your board supports it and you have a legitimate need for it....like editing Titanic or something.

PSU: One of the most important components. Don't cheap out on this.....get the best one you can find in the appropriate wattage. 650w+ from a quality manufacturer.

SSD: 128GB at a minimum or 256GB+ if you want to be able to load and access more of your favorite apps with the speed a SSD provides.

HDD: 1TB minimum since everything you don't access on a frequent basis is going to go here.

Video card: Personal preference and predicted usage. Max eye candy at any cost - GTX 680 SLI. Most people usually settle for a mid-range product and the Radeon 7850 2GB or 7870 would be decent choices.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Premium Member

to Benenstein
said by Benenstein:

A Masters in Computer Science does not make you a pro at building gaming PCs, sorry.

You've given us a lot of conflicting information, which is why we're a little frustrated at this point.

What's your *real* budget, and what are your *real* desired performance? A 7800 will not max everything.
Krisnatharok

Premium Member

to Benenstein
said by Benenstein:

Which is why i chose a maximum of 1,700...not to go as close to it as possible.

That's what a maximum is. If you wanted a maximum of $1200, the build would look entirely different.

You choose how much you want to spend. You said $1700, I thought it was a pretty damn fine build for $1650, but you say that is too pricey. But you said $1700 to begin with.

Let's start over. Tell me what your budget is, and what games you want to max. I assume your TV (which is a bad idea for gaming) is 1920x1080?
Benenstein
Bloomington, IL

Benenstein

Yes, my tv is 1920x1080. Ive been using it on my current computer without any flaws, i just dont want to spend more on a monitor is all.

The games that i want to max:

Sim city (Comes out in March)

Mass Effect 3

Ive been playing Dead Island on my xbox, tried it on my PC, but my current PC isnt strong enough.

Honestly, at this point, i would like to stick around $1,400...sorry about all of the confusion

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

Do you want any peripherals (keyboard/headset/mouse) in the price?
Benenstein
Bloomington, IL

Benenstein

No thanks, I already own some from my current computer