Premium
join:2008-04-28
Etobicoke, ON
kudos:4
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL

[Parts Check] Basic Stock Cooler Question

I found out a little while back that I actually can OC my 3770 (no K) I'm aware that OCing creates heat, so what I'm curious about is can I OC without liquid cooling?

I'd be willing to get an after market air cooler but I don't know how enthusiastic I'd be about setup of liquid cooling for my machine.

All feedback is appreciated as always.
--
Support Bacteria -- It's the Only Culture Some People Have

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12

The CM Hyper 212+ ($20-30) is fine for most OCing. If you want to get extreme, you can get the Corsair Hydro integrated loop coolers.

I have an H100, which is a 240mm radiator.
--
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
Etobicoke, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL

said by Krisnatharok:

The CM Hyper 212+ ($20-30) is fine for most OCing. If you want to get extreme, you can get the Corsair Hydro integrated loop coolers.

I have an H100, which is a 240mm radiator.

Thanks, the CM 212 looks great, how hardcore is your OCing to warrant liquid cooler?
--

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit

Depends on which CPU you are OCing. Some of the best air coolers are only a couple degrees off the closed-loop coolers (like the Prolimatech Megahalems or the giant Noctua one).

A closed loop like the H100 will beat the best air cooler with the right fans. But a full-blown custom water build will beat anything.
--
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
Etobicoke, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL

said by Krisnatharok:

A closed loop like the H100 will beat the best air cooler with the right fans. But a full-blown custom water build will beat anything.

I thought the H100 was a liquid cooler?
--

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit

It's a closed-loop cooler, completely maintenance free, but the most you can mod out are the fans. It is halfway between an air cooler and complete water setup in terms of efficiency.
--

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
Etobicoke, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL

said by Krisnatharok:

It's a closed-loop cooler, completely maintenance free, but the most you can mod out are the fans. It is halfway between an air cooler and complete water setup in terms of efficiency.

Tthat sounds like something I could totally deal with. If I'm getting you correctly, you never have to change/drain the cooling fluid?
--

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit

Correct. But when the pump fails, you trash the whole thing (or send it in). Still, for $50-100, it beats the $500 for setup + constant monitoring of the fish bowl.
--

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
Etobicoke, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL

said by Krisnatharok:

Correct. But when the pump fails, you trash the whole thing (or send it in). Still, for $50-100, it beats the $500 for setup + constant monitoring of the fish bowl.

That sounds fantastic. About three months ago I pulled apart a friend's liquid cooled system, and I didn't like it at all.

The way you're describing it sounds much better.
--

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit

Comparison between two of the brands: »www.anandtech.com/show/6530/clos···compared
--

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
Etobicoke, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL

said by Krisnatharok:

Comparison between two of the brands: »www.anandtech.com/show/6530/clos···compared

That X60 is a sexy beast...
--

berserken

join:2011-03-27
Oakland, CA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to El Quintron

Pretty good benchmark/opinion piece here:

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8HsjgtMzEg

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit

Great video, and it's good to see a comparison between three coolers where the same fans are used on each.

For those blocked, Linus looks at the H100i, the H80, and the Silver Arrow Extreme (air cooler), using Noctua NF-F12 fans on each.

The H100i (two fans) was the best, at 71.8 degrees under load. The Silver Arrow (two fans) came in second, at 75.9 degrees. The H80 came in last, with 84.5 degrees with push-pull (two fans), and 94.8 degrees with one fan.

He did note that the H100i will increasingly pull away from the air cooler and single 120-rad cooler the more you overclock your CPU.
--