nunya
LXI 483
MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
·Charter

nunya

MVM

[HSI] Any color you want, as long as it's black.

I got my Jan. statement and it went up $70/mo for the 100/5 internet service.
I decided to call Charter and see what "options" I had available. I keep getting this flyer for the $89.97 "triple play", although my interest in the TV is low, and my interest int he phone service is zilch.
I guess I just wanted to bitch and moan for a while about the total lack of options.
It's $50 for 30/4.
The guy was nice enough, and "strongly advised" me to keep the 100/5 for $70 because they cannot do that any more. He didn't try to bullshit me too much.

Charter is starting to remind me of the phone company. In the late 90's and early 00's, the ILECs were so hellbent on getting long distance (remember long distance?), that they totally didn't see the writing on the wall about the death of dialtone.

Charter was/is so hellbent on getting dialtone, that now that they have it they don't want to let it go. Never mind that 50% of the country doesn't even care about dialtone any more.
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned)

I hope you realize that standard pricing for 100/5 is $110 a month now. So getting for $70 is a good deal. How much do you think you should be paying for 100 Meg?

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO

nunya

MVM

As little as possible.
whoaru99
join:2003-12-17

whoaru99

Which is where you're at.

cork1958
Cork
Premium Member
join:2000-02-26

1 edit

cork1958 to nunya

Premium Member

to nunya
Yep,
Their minimum speed tier is going to bite them in the butt, big time, I sure hope anyway.

I don't have $50 worth of need for speed either, let alone $110 worth!!

Was perfectly happy on the cheaper 15/3 or 18/3, what ever it was.
15444104 (banned)
join:2012-06-11

15444104 (banned)

The arrogance of the new executive team at Charter will cause more grief for the customers and the rank and file employees when the calls to cancel start flooding in.

It is important when you cancel that you specifically mention that you are cancelling because of a lack of choice in service level with no price leading value offers and lower speed tier everyday regular prices.

mmainprize
join:2001-12-06
Houghton Lake, MI

mmainprize

Yes ain't that the truth.

Remember a few years back when all the IPS were bitching about the Internet Bandwidth HOGs (the 2%).
Well, now they treat us all like HOGs, and charge like one before we even start downloading.
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned) to 15444104

to 15444104
said by 15444104:

The arrogance of the new executive team at Charter will cause more grief for the customers and the rank and file employees when the calls to cancel start flooding in.

It is important when you cancel that you specifically mention that you are cancelling because of a lack of choice in service level with no price leading value offers and lower speed tier everyday regular prices.

While I agree that if one calls to cancel they be specific about their reasoning but you overestimate how effective that may be.

Many people's only other choice for broadband is satellite or mobile what are far more expensive than Charter. Even people like me who have DSL as an option is not much of deal. At&t offers 12 Mbps for $48 a month. I'd rather pay the extra $2 and get 30 Mbps even if I don't need 30 Mbps. 6 Mbps is $43. Sure a savings of $7 a month but I need more than 6 Mbps.

I have a feeling Charter will up speeds within the next few months and offer a lower tier speed for $30-$35 or so. So if people would be patient I think you'll get you lower speed cheaper tier.
15444104 (banned)
join:2012-06-11

15444104 (banned)

said by 88615298 See Profile

I have a feeling Charter will up speeds within the next few months and offer a lower tier speed for $30-$35 or so. So if people would be patient I think you'll get you lower speed cheaper tier.

Too bad they didn't think of the consequences at the time they decided to "test" customers tolerance for such stiff arming tactics.
This economy is very tough and while there are still a number of people that can pay anything they want for things like internet, many of us cannot. We don't have open ended budgets.

The most I personally can tolerate is around $25/mo.
If they had kept a low speed tier for value oriented customers I would have been happy to stay long term. I always pay my bill on time and in full, and have never been late. While they probably make a very small profit on me (and others like myself), they still have made some profit and would have continued to make one because I am willing to stay with a company that makes reasonable offers for reasonable service levels.

I have never understood why a company would want to actually ENCOURAGE churn like in this situation.