share rss forum feed

Libra
Premium
join:2003-08-06
USA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

[DVR] Anyone experience quality issues with recorded programs?

I've noticed that when watching a program I previously recorded on the DVR there are times that the picture breaks up and the sound is also affected (to the point where I missed something).

Has anyone else experienced this and/or know what is causing it?

Thank you.

Sincerely, Libra

tnsprin

join:2003-07-23
Bradenton, FL

Re: [DVR] Anyone experience quality issues with recorded program

If your DVR is working correctly their should be no quality difference for recorded programs. Of course if your hard disk is failing or something else is wrong with your DVR, all bets are off

Rattler

join:2001-04-13
Havertown, PA
reply to Libra

It could have simply recorded what would have been displayed if you were watching the show live...
--
Never raise your hands to your kids. It leaves your groin unprotected. -- Red Buttons

Libra
Premium
USA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

said by Rattler:

It could have simply recorded what would have been displayed if you were watching the show live...

Why would that be? We left DirecTV to get away from that. I didn't know you could experience this with Fios (although it's not as bad as DirecTV).

Sincerely, Libra

PJL

join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA
kudos:2

said by Libra:

said by Rattler:

Why would that be? We left DirecTV to get away from that. I didn't know you could experience this with Fios (although it's not as bad as DirecTV).

Sincerely, Libra

Your experience is not typical. My recordings are flawless 99.995 percent of the time. Report the issue to Verizon. Your STB is likely failing.

Rattler

join:2001-04-13
Havertown, PA

If it happens frequently, then there may be an issue with the STB, the connection to the STB or a problem in the ONT. If it happens only in recordings and with increasing frequency, then that might be symptomatic of a hard drive starting to gather wool.

Every once in a while, you can get tiling or other "noise" in the original broadcast, it just happens occasionally - certainly not with the frequency you'd get with D* due to rain or weather fade. If you happen to be recording when it occurs, you'll see it in the recording - the DVR can't repair a faulty incoming signal.

I rarely have issues with recordings but I did have one, the other day, where there was a period of about ten seconds of tiling and frame freezes that were probably in the original programming.
--
Never raise your hands to your kids. It leaves your groin unprotected. -- Red Buttons

billhere

join:2011-10-21
Santa Monica, CA
reply to Libra

Try re-setting your DVR from a menu choice or by calling Verizon. That sometimes clears up all sorts of problems.

jargavet

join:2012-06-22
Crofton, MD
reply to Libra

It can also be on the broadcast it self. In which case there is nothing you can do. Could also be line related. I had artifacts replaced the splinter with a higher mghz rating and it was much better... For a bit. It has come back but its intermittent. There is an option now in the menu to view specific channel single noise ratios and errors.

Webcobbler

@verizon.net
reply to Rattler

Occationally, I will DVR a program ( say a 1 hour show For example ) , but then about 20 minutes into it, the DVR would skip to about 45 minutes into the program. I am not fast forwarding or anything. I am just watching the program normally. It seems to just lose that portion of the recording.

I can not explain it, because it does happen randomly. But it does occur more then I would like.

My 7232 will be 2 years old, this January. If that makes any difference. But I don't think it should.

Libra
Premium
USA
reply to Libra

I appreciate everyone's replies. When I experience it, I am viewing on my STB from one of our DVRs. I'm not sure where my husband is experiencing it. If it becomes frequent and/or bothersome I will contact Verizon.

Sincerely, Libra