Search similar:

uniqs

jay608
Going Nucking Futs
join:2007-01-22
Homewood, IL

jay608

Roku

Does anyone have a roku? If so how do you like it, and what channels can you really get.

andyross
MVM
join:2003-05-04
Aurora, IL

andyross

MVM

I was considering getting one, but found out the current Roku2 models do not get along properly with my Onkyo receiver.

Nuckfuts
Premium Member
join:2003-10-18
Joliet, IL

Nuckfuts to jay608

Premium Member

to jay608
My wife got one for our bedroom (Roku HD wireless only) and it works pretty good. It gets good signal strength considering where my U-Verse RG is located. We use it mainly for Amazon Instant Video since we are prime members and found it way better than Netflix. We pretty much only use it for that. We also have HBO with D* so we use the HBOGO app sometimes. Overall she likes it. I really never use it. We have the Amazon app on an Xbox 360 and a WiiU also so she only pretty much uses the Roku and no complaints really.

JimThePCGuy
Formerly known as schja01.
MVM
join:2000-04-27
Morton Grove, IL

JimThePCGuy to jay608

MVM

to jay608
I have several of them.
I use two of them regularly and really like them.
I have a Netflix and Amazon Prime subscription which cost a few $$ but there is a lot of free stuff too.
I also have two BluRay players with Netflix built-in and think the Roku video is much better.
I've had a Roku since 2008 when they were unheard of.
Call me an early adopter?

To the OP:
Netflix, Amazon Video, NASA and TWIT TV are my favorites.
I have the HBO and Skin-i-Max as well as Showtime but rarely use them.
They recently added a 'Global Search" facility where you can search for a title and it will tell you which "channels" offer the title. Works nicely.

J

jay608
Going Nucking Futs
join:2007-01-22
Homewood, IL

jay608

what about channels like your local stations?

JimThePCGuy
Formerly known as schja01.
MVM
join:2000-04-27
Morton Grove, IL

JimThePCGuy

MVM

No local channels on the Roku.
Aereo possibly but that's limited to NYC.

Jon5
Premium Member
join:2001-01-20
Lisle, IL

Jon5 to jay608

Premium Member

to jay608
said by jay608:

I don't have one but my understanding is it basically just runs apps. Netflix, Amazon and whatever else. It's not a "receiver". You'd still need a provider or antenna to get regular TV.

aight
join:2001-12-18
Lafox, IL

aight to jay608

to jay608
I have Roku and I subscribe to Amazon prime, Netflix and Hulu Plus.
For local channels, I bought rabbit ears and I am able to get several
local channels in HD that rivals cable. I've had this setup for almost 3 years.

VegasMan
Living the Vegas life.
Premium Member
join:2002-11-17
Las Vegas, NV

VegasMan to jay608

Premium Member

to jay608
I would so much like to do this but until Food Network starts streaming along with a few others my wife demands I'm SOL.

I also don't care for the quality of some of the channels. They look like crap on a bigger screen.

aight
join:2001-12-18
Lafox, IL

aight

said by VegasMan:

I would so much like to do this but until Food Network starts streaming along with a few others my wife demands I'm SOL.

I also don't care for the quality of some of the channels. They look like crap on a bigger screen.

Some folks will never cut the plug period. It's too much of a jump. I don't watch a lot of TV and when I do, it's mostly the local channels.
Netflix works for me because I can watch series like walking dead and breaking bad & old movies.

cbrigante2
Wait til Next Year
Premium Member
join:2002-11-22
North Aurora, IL

cbrigante2 to Jon5

Premium Member

to Jon5
said by Jon5:

said by jay608:

I don't have one but my understanding is it basically just runs apps. Netflix, Amazon and whatever else. It's not a "receiver". You'd still need a provider or antenna to get regular TV.

I believe the official term is "Media Extender" for a Roku type device. With most HD sets these days you could go with an antenna for locals in HD and use a Roku type device for the other stuff...but I haven't used antenna for HD in a long while now so I don't know if CBS is still near impossible to get.

Nuckfuts
Premium Member
join:2003-10-18
Joliet, IL

Nuckfuts

Premium Member

I surprisingly get CBS in my area even though it is still the weakest of them all. He is in the city so he should pick it up quick well if I can get it all the way out here with an indoor antenna.

VegasMan
Living the Vegas life.
Premium Member
join:2002-11-17
Las Vegas, NV
·CenturyLink

VegasMan to jay608

Premium Member

to jay608
I picked up a Roku2 XS last week for $69 at Costco. So far it's been pretty good the video quality has improved on a lot of the channels they have.
So far I think I have about 20 channels added.
If you do get one be sure and do a Google search for private channel codes.