Netgear R7000

CoolMan

Re: [HSI] Cable Modem signal levels continue to drop

Ping results to www.google.com
Ping statistics for 74.125.130.103:
Packets: Sent = 1337, Received = 1300, Lost = 37 (2% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 21ms, Maximum = 267ms, Average = 27ms

Signal levels dropped again, this time very bad and now I am having problems. Speed has dropped, packet loss is present now, ping spikes in games, overall slowness.

I used the Chat support and explained everything and they insisted I was receiving a good signal from there end. They also apparently don't understand what Signal to Noise Ratio is or Downstream power levels... Said they showed my modem had been online for 9 days. They had me reset the modem/router/switch which did not help, had me restart the PC in safe mode with networking to check speed again. They told me I would be charged a service call to have a technician come out since I don't subscribe to the inside wiring plan.

Finally after the 2nd chat, I was able to convince them to schedule a technician to come out. They will probably end up charging me as well for it.

Thank you Charter for such a great present at the holidays! :uhh:
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned)

said by CoolMan:

Thank you Charter for such a great present at the holidays!

And you know this is Charter's fault how? Seeing as you don't know what the problem is to begin with.
sittin_tech
join:2004-04-13
Rochester, MN

sittin_tech to CoolMan

to CoolMan
I think I recommend back in October to get this checked out before it became an issue.

CoolMan
join:2008-01-07
Maryville, TN
ARRIS BGW210-700
Netgear R7000

1 edit

CoolMan to 88615298

to 88615298
said by 88615298:

said by CoolMan:

Thank you Charter for such a great present at the holidays!

And you know this is Charter's fault how? Seeing as you don't know what the problem is to begin with.

Well I haven't done anything to the connection, and the signal levels change very sporadically (mainly the Downstream power level and downstream SNR). This time they have just dropped so low (and not within recommended specifications) that it can't keep a consistent signal with the HFC network. The return path upstream signal level appears to be fine, its only the downstream experiencing the problem currently.

I checked the coax connectors in the enclosure outside as well as inside coax and nothing has changed, no corrosion etc.

As I stated earlier in the thread the coax from the street runs directly into the enclosure outside then there is a ground block inside the enclosure then it runs inside to one barrel connector and then around 25 ft to the modem. No splitters, all the coax connectors are Charters and very good quality.
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned)

said by CoolMan:

Well I haven't done anything to the connection,

Didn't say you did. Could be a problem on their end maybe not. If others near you are also having issues well that would be obvious then. Could be anything. just because you don't se corrosion doesn't mean there isn't any. Maybe some other damage somewhere. Could be some sort of interference. Who knows.