Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Phraxos
Premium
join:2004-06-12
UK

Difference between Wireless LAP images?

I have just got hold of a wireless LAN controller to play with.

Can someone explain the difference between the rcvk9w8 and the k9w8 image for a LAP? The former is listed as a recovery image but from what I have seen you can recover a LAP with a k9w8 image so what am I missing or not understanding correctly?

Also, my understanding was that with WLC setup that the controller did most of the work - so why are LAP images bigger than AP images?!

phantasm11b
Premium
join:2007-11-02
What model AP and WLC? The autonomous AP's required a seperate image and had a full suite of commands. Each AP had to manually configured. The recovery image could be used to convert an autonomous AP to lightweight mode so that a controller can manage it. I've converted a few 1200 series AP's and a few 1142's. Mostly I run 3500's and 3600's with either a WiSM or 5508 in an HA pair.

Let me know what the models are and I can provide some more information.
--
"There are two American flags flying on the property I reside on. Anyone who tries to take them down will be rendered inoperative." -Lindy

Phraxos
Premium
UK
I've converted a few LAPs to APs but not yet the other way round.

My understanding is that for older APs you have to use the Upgrade Utility but for the APs I'm 'playing' with (1140, 1260 and 3500) I just telnet the image to them - archive download-sw /overwrite /reload tftp: //location/image-name

If that is the case, why would I telnet a recovery image rather than the full LAP image?

Also can you convert an AP to a LAP the same way as you can convert a LAP to a AP, i.e. using the mode button to auto TFTP an image-name.default file? And if you can can you just use the full LAP image or do you have to use the recovery image?

The WC is an SRE 300

Delco24

join:2004-02-15
Cary, NC
reply to Phraxos
The recovery image does not include radio drivers so its a much smaller file. When an AP with a recovery image joins the WLC, it automatically downloads the full image from the controller.

When doing conversions (with anything recent), you can use the k9w8 or the rcvk9w8 - it doesn't matter. The reason you had to use the Upgrade Utility with the older APs (anything manufactured before November 2005) was because Cisco did not include a MIC (Manufacturer Installed Certificate) so the utility had to generate a self-signed certificate so it could join the WLC. With the newer APs, you can easily just use the archive command to download the k9w8 image to convert them. Cisco didn't always publish the full k9w8 image in the past so the recovery image is all you had when doing conversions.

Regarding your other question on using the mode button - yes, you can pull either the AP or LAP code using this method. Again, it doesn't matter if you use the recovery or full image.

Phraxos
Premium
UK
reply to Phraxos
Thanks for the replies. That's very comprehensive and has given me a much better understanding.

One follow up - does a WLC only download an image to a LAP if it has a recovery image or will it also do it if the WLC has a more up to date image for the LAP? Or does it always download the image, whether it is newer or not?

phantasm11b
Premium
join:2007-11-02
reply to Phraxos
Sorry I'm late but it seems you've got your answer. In regards to your follow on quesion though, the WLC will push an image to an AP if it has a newer version of code than the AP currently has.
--
"There are two American flags flying on the property I reside on. Anyone who tries to take them down will be rendered inoperative." -Lindy

Phraxos
Premium
UK
reply to Phraxos
Thanks, you have both been really helpful.

Da Geek Kid

join:2003-10-11
::1
kudos:1
That is again only if it's running a LWAP/CAPWAP version that is older than the WLC's version. WLC will not touch the AP if it's not in LWAP/CAPWAP version.