spc
Search similar:

uniqs
TLxRaCeR
join:2002-04-17
Anaheim, CA

TLxRaCeR

[DSL] DSL problem with rain. Need help without sarcasism from te

Been a loyal customer since Jan. 2003. 6000/768Kbps AT&T Connection as well as web hosting. 5.6 Mb/s down, 0.65 Mb/s up - are my consistent speeds when it doesn't rain. When it rains, I get a lot of static on my phone line and dsl will not sync.

My current problem has been on and off since the rainy season 2011 in So. Cali. Last year, there wasn't much rain, but when it did rain, my dsl would loose sync. It took days for the line to dry up and sync to its normal speed. Back and forth I would talk to dslextreme tech and they told me they will send an ATT tech out to check the lines. The problem is, by the time the ATT guys comes out, the dsl is back to normal. They make me go through the same process of trouble shooting a couple of times and I was fed up with it. It didn't rain much last year so I didn't loose sync often and I gave up on fixing the problem.

Fast forward to this year. In September, there was the first rain storm of the year. I called in to dslextreme because again, the dsl would not sync up. I told them it was an on going issue with a trouble ticket I had since last year. I told them that when it rains, I lose sync. Again they make me go through the steps of trouble shooting. I also explained to them that they need to call my cell phone because the only reason I have a landline was for the dsl. A couple of days later, the line dried up and I was synced once again. I logged into my dsl account and see that they closed the ticket without even contacting me.

So October comes and goes with very few rainy days and only loose sync a few times. I should have called it in again, but didn't want to deal with the techs. Speeds were lower at 3.5 Mb/s 0.64 Mb/s

November comes around and there has been quite a few rainy days. I would say my dsl would sync maybe 1/4 of the month. I called in again to dslextreme to fix my problem. Again they make me go through the same BS troubleshooting. I told them this only occurs when it rains. Still they make me go through the steps. Again they tell me a tier 2 tech would call me. And again I explained to them to call my cell phone, not the landline. I didn't hear from them so I called in again. OMG. The tech wants me to go through the same troubleshooting steps AGAIN! I told him I already did this with another tech and I was waiting for a tier 2 tech to call me. So again, they tell me that a tier 2 would call me. Finally, I got a tier 2 person to call my cell phone, but I was busy at work to answer. I called in to dslextreme and was answered by a tier 2 tech. Since I was at work, he said he couldn't help me and to call back when I get at home. So later that day I get home and called dslextreme again. Tier 2 picks up the call. Again I explained to him that I lose sync when it rains. He gets all sarcastic and says I've never heard that before. He asks me to do the troubleshooting step AGAIN.. I stop him there and told him that I've been through the same process so many times with tier 1 techs. So then he tells me he will send an ATT tech out to check the lines and I agreed. He calls me back a few hours later to confirm with att on the line for the tech to come out. It was scheduled for the following Monday. Monday comes and goes without att coming to my house. I called dslextreme and they tell me that an att tech came to my residence two days earlier on Saturday. No one was home on Sat. so I can't confirm an att tech came out or not. Dslextreme tech was dumbfounded why that tech came over 2 days ahead of the appointment. The dslextreme tech said att came by on Sat and test results were bad lines inside. Att never came inside my house. The dslextreme tech agrees that att tech was lying. I asked to find out what exactly happened. Dslextreme tech said they would find out but later said they couldn't because of the Thanksgiving holiday.
That same night, I had no dial tone. I called it in to dslextreme that there was no dial. They told me that they can't do anything until the dial tone was fixed by att. I reported the problem to att and the following day the dial tone was there. Att didn't send anyone out. I called att and told them that he dial tone was back and they cancelled the tech to come out. I reported this back to dslextreme. With much frustration, I told them it leave things as it is since I wasn't going to around due to the holidays.

December comes and I am still dealing with the same problem of not syncing when it rains(wet outside). DSL speeds would be from 0.27 Mb/s to 4.9Mb/s down and constant 0.65Mb/s up when it occasionally syncs.

I am requesting someone from dslextreme to call me and help me fix this problem. I am tired of repeating my problem with your over the phone techs. Also hate going through the same troubleshooting list.
Also requesting you guys to prorate my bills. PM me and I will send you my info. Thanks.
TLxRaCeR

TLxRaCeR

Re: [DSL] DSL problem with rain. Need help without sarcasism fro

dslx_nick
ISP Employee
join:2011-12-24
Chatsworth, CA

dslx_nick

ISP Employee

PM was sent... go ahead and reply when you get a chance.
TLxRaCeR
Anaheim, CA

TLxRaCeR

Info sent

Current speed test:

CCarson
join:2001-07-22
Redlands, CA

CCarson to TLxRaCeR

to TLxRaCeR
I understand your pain. I was in the same boat for a few years (Verizon territory). You did the right thing in posting here...it was Nick and Ivan from this forum that took the initiative to try time and time again to get Verizon techs out *while* it was raining. After several tries, they got one out while the problem was happening. The tech found a bad connection up the block, fixed it, and I'm happy as a clam this rainy season.

The morals of the story are:
1. The baby bells (AT&T, Verizon) are lazy, greedy, and will lie in order not to have to roll a truck to fix the problem, and
2. You need to be persistent.
3. You need to be persistent.
4. You need to be persistent.

Best of luck to you. It can get fixed, believe me, but it takes some serious dedication. And I've found that DSL Extreme has always been very good about refunding me for outage time, though you do need to request it.
TLxRaCeR
Anaheim, CA

TLxRaCeR

Thanks dslx_nick and CCarson.. I think they fixed it.

UPDATE: There was no dsl sync and static on my phone line until ATT came out today during the rain. The tech spend about an hour tracking down the problem. He said that he changed my line to a different clean line. He seemed to be in a rush, so I didn't want to hold him up by asking too many questions. It's been about 45 minutes and my dsl is solid. Current speeds are lower than my usual but this is what I getting right now.

Thanks Nick for getting ATT to come out while it was raining. In the past, ATT took about a week to come out, and by the time they did, the lines were dry and wouldn't pursue fixing my problem.

dslx_nick
ISP Employee
Chatsworth, CA

1 edit

dslx_nick

ISP Employee

Glad to be of assistance. According to the latest updates from AT&T, they are still seeing some trouble outside (no need to go inside, so you don't need to be home), so they have a follow-up dispatch to the field scheduled for tomorrow.

Edit: Ack! Disregard the second half of this post, accidentally got this crossed with someone else who also had a dispatch scheduled today. Sorry, my bad. For THIS dispatch, they repaired a defective F2 cable (outside cable), and you shouldn't have any more disruptions due to rain. (Still glad to be of assistance, just sorry for the mix-up!)
TLxRaCeR
Anaheim, CA

TLxRaCeR

Hey Nick.. Can you rebuild my profile? I'm hoping that will bring my speed back up to my usual 5.6Mb/s.. So far, it would only go up to 3.9Mb/s. Thanks.

dslx_steve
Premium Member
join:2011-03-24
Winnetka, CA

dslx_steve

Premium Member

Line tests show that you are getting a low bit rate. This looks like a line issue, not a problem with the profile. I rebuilt the connection for good measure. I'll have a tech contact you.
TLxRaCeR
Anaheim, CA

TLxRaCeR

Your tech called but due to the holidays, I asked to keep the ticket open and hoped the problem fixed itself. I'm still getting slower speeds, so can you have a tech call me to schedule another dispatch. I'm hoping I don't have to be home for AT&T to fix the problem. Thx

dslx_nick
ISP Employee
Chatsworth, CA

dslx_nick

ISP Employee

Yes, will do.