Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

alkizmo

join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC
kudos:1

GX23 / G23 fluorescent fixture kits?

Following some recommendations regarding my basement lighting, I'm probably going for non integrated CFL lighting. Basically that means ballasted fixtures for unballasted CFL lights.

What I'm having trouble finding are the fixtures, can/recessed lights to be precise.

Do I have to buy an empty housing, get the GX23/G23 holder(not decided which yet) and buy an electronic ballast, then wiring everything together?

Or are there kits for that? So far, kits aren't available at hardware stores, let alone eBay or amazon.

whizkid3
Premium,MVM
join:2002-02-21
Queens, NY
kudos:9

You can buy the whole fixture; can, bulb, ballast and all. There are literally thousands of different models. Problem is, you're shopping at places where consumers shop and typical consumers don't buy these fixtures. Try a lighting distributor.

alkizmo

Pierrefonds, QC

Well if you say they exist, I will go look for them at a local electrical distributor. It's hard to not give up when looking through an inventory list if you don't even know they exist

thnx!

whizkid3
Premium,MVM
join:2002-02-21
Queens, NY
kudos:9

You can start here:

»www.cooperindustries.com/content···ent.html

and then visit the webpages of a few hundred more manufacturers that offer CFL lighting.

nunya
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
kudos:12
reply to alkizmo

I thought I sent you a shopping list?

alkizmo

Pierrefonds, QC

said by nunya:

I thought I sent you a shopping list?

Nope, actually I've sent you several PMs over the past on different matters and you never get back to me.
Maybe we have a PM issue?

nunya
Premium,MVM
O Fallon, MO
Reviews:
·Charter
·voip.ms
·surpasshosting

Apparently I never sent it, but I did work hard on it.

Look at a Halo H274IC. It's 13W. How many watts do you think you'll need per fixture? 13, 26, 32, 42?
Halo is a very common brand (Cooper Lighting). They should be available at any supply house that carries cooper. The trims too. They can probably be ordered from Home Depot too.
Juno is another common brand (Schneider Electric). They should be widely available too. They can probably be ordered from Lowe's.
WAC and Progress are other brands that are commonly specd on commercial jobs. They might cost a bit more.
--
If someone refers to herself / himself as a "guru", they probably aren't.

alkizmo

Pierrefonds, QC

1 recommendation

said by nunya:

I know the feeling buddy.

said by nunya:

Look at a Halo H274IC. It's 13W. How many watts do you think you'll need per fixture? 13, 26, 32, 42?
Halo is a very common brand (Cooper Lighting). They should be available at any supply house that carries cooper. The trims too. They can probably be ordered from Home Depot too.
Juno is another common brand (Schneider Electric). They should be widely available too. They can probably be ordered from Lowe's.
WAC and Progress are other brands that are commonly specd on commercial jobs. They might cost a bit more.

13W is my target. I'm thinking 10-12 evenly spaced 13w fixtures for 450 sqft surface is plenty. 9W might even do it.

The Halo H274IC seems pretty decent, I bet I could find it at a electric supplier for about 25$.

I guess I'll make my first visit to that intimidating wholesale electric supplies warehouse with a list of model numbers.

Whizkid and your suggestion to basically look at manufacturer's websites for models will work out best since most of these warehouses only talk about their suppliers and no inventory listing, meaning they probably can get me anything from said suppliers even if I gotta order it. I just need to look at pictures on suppliers websites, make a list, and find which ones are sold at a reasonable price at the warehouse.

alkizmo

Pierrefonds, QC
reply to alkizmo

Another question: If I get a dimmable fixture, does the bulb have to be dimmable too? Or is it just about the ballast and the fluorescent itself will do whatever the ballast can do?

nunya
Premium,MVM
O Fallon, MO
Reviews:
·Charter
·voip.ms
·surpasshosting

You have to have a dimmable ballast. Be forewarned, the dimmable FL fixtures aren't "that" dimmable.

If you want to dim, you'd be better off getting regular $7 cans and just using dimmable Ecosmart LED lamps from Home Depot (they work great BTW).
--
If someone refers to herself / himself as a "guru", they probably aren't.

alkizmo

Pierrefonds, QC

1 edit

said by nunya:

You have to have a dimmable ballast. Be forewarned, the dimmable FL fixtures aren't "that" dimmable.

If you want to dim, you'd be better off getting regular $7 cans and just using dimmable Ecosmart LED lamps from Home Depot (they work great BTW).

By "aren't that dimmable", you mean what? They can go only down to 50%.

I'm not looking for much dimming capacity. I will have a couple of sconce lights which will work on LED or incadescent for real mood lighting. But it would be nice to be able to make it a bit dimmer.

The room is going to be a playroom anyway.

LEDs are still quite expensive ATM. About 17$ per 10W GU10 bulbs vs. 3$ for CFL.
Of course, I will weight that into consideration if the fixtures for CFL turn out to be 20$ more than regular GU10 can lights.

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:7
reply to nunya

said by nunya:

Nice try. Most of us have been using that excuse since grade school.