uniqs
share rss forum feed

The Snowman
Premium
join:2007-05-20
kudos:4

2 recommendations

Initiative to classify Westboro Baptist Church a hate group

Initiative to classify Westboro Baptist Church as a hate group is the most popular White House petition ever

On December 14, 2012, a White House petition was created in an effort to have the Westboro Baptist Church categorized as a hate group. Just 13 days and more than 260,000 signatures later, the petition is the most popular in the history of the White House initiative. Once a petition garners 25,000 signatures, it earns a response from the White House. There are two additional petitions asking that the WBC's tax-exempt status be revoked. Both of those petitions have also eclipsed the 25,000-signee mark. Back in August, President Obama signed the Honoring America's Veterans Act, which barred anyone—including the Westboro Baptist Church—from picketing within 300 feet of the funerals of fallen American soldiers. It also prohibited the demonstrations from two hours prior to the funerals to two hours after the funerals.

»www.philly.com/philly/entertainm···ver.html

DownTheShore
RIP tmpchaos
Premium
join:2003-12-02
Beautiful NJ
kudos:14
I went over to that petition site the other day and saw the anti-WBC ones. I made sure that I signed all of them.

kickass69

join:2002-06-03
Lake Hopatcong, NJ

1 edit
reply to The Snowman

Re: Initiative to classify Westboro Baptist Church a hate group

I've never liked the idea of classifying anything as a 'hate' group the same way I don't agree with 'hate' crimes. Anything or anyone can be labeled that if a certain group or even the government doesn't agree with it. We can all agree to dislike something like this and call it that, not to go overboard and make this 'hate' categorization even worse than it is.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12
reply to The Snowman

What does classifying them as a hate group entail?

sivran
Seamonkey's back
Premium
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX
kudos:1
Well, it's wikipedia, but:

Highlights:
quote:
Hate groups are also tracked by the FBI.
The FBI does not publish a list of hate groups, and "[I]nvestigations are conducted only when a threat or advocacy of force is made; when the group has the apparent ability to carry out the proclaimed act; and when the act would constitute a potential violation of federal law."
In the US, crimes that "manifest evidence of prejudice based on race, religion, sexual orientation, or ethnicity, including the crimes of murder and nonnegligent manslaughter; forcible rape; robbery; aggravated assault; burglary; larceny-theft; motor vehicle theft; arson; simple assault; intimidation; and destruction, damage or vandalism of property", directed at the government, an individual, a business, or institution, involving hate groups and hate crimes, may be investigated as acts of domestic terrorism.

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hate_group

So, since the WBC is--so far--nonviolent mainly because they want to provoke others to violence and sue the pants off them, getting them classed as a hate group wouldn't really seem to accomplish much.

I wonder if we can somehow classify WBC protests as fighting words without doing more harm than good...

Still...zomg terrorists!
--
Think Outside the Fox.

kickass69

join:2002-06-03
Lake Hopatcong, NJ

1 edit

1 recommendation

The irony in that Wikipedia description is that if any of those said crimes are done against Whites, most of the time nothing is done about it.

But nonetheless, that description is so broad and encompassing it's no wonder the war on terrorism will never end.

Zach1
Premium
join:2006-11-26
NW Minnesota
reply to kickass69

said by kickass69:

I've never liked the idea of classifying anything as a 'hate' group the same way I don't agree with 'hate' crimes. Anything or anyone can be labeled that if a certain group or even the government doesn't agree with it. We can't we all agree to dislike something like this and call it that, not to go overboard and make this 'hate' categorization even worse than it is.

It will be interesting to see how this works out since many religious organizations purvey messages the could be construed as "hate" based. As for the tax-exempt status of WBC or, for that matter, any other "church", why should any religious sect be exempt and thus, tax-payer subsidized?
--
Zach