share rss forum feed

goalieskates
Premium
join:2004-09-12
land of big

1 edit

1 recommendation

Zuckerberg's sister tripped up by Facebook policy

Dustup over image of Mark Zuckerberg's sister, Randi Zuckerberg, on Facebook (CBS)

quote:
Even Mark Zuckerberg's family can get tripped up by Facebook's privacy settings.

A picture that Zuckerberg's sister posted on her personal Facebook profile was seen by a marketing director, who then posted the picture to Twitter and her more than 40,000 followers Wednesday.

That didn't sit well with Zuckerberg's sister, Randi, who tweeted at Callie Schweitzer that the picture was meant for friends only and that posting the private picture on Twitter was "way uncool." Schweitzer replied by saying the picture popped up on her Facebook news feed.

The picture shows four people standing around a kitchen staring at their phones with their mouths open while Mark Zuckerberg is in the background.

Randi Zuckerberg, who used to run Facebook's marketing department and now produces a reality television show, eventually said Schweitzer was able to see the picture because they had a mutual friend. Those tweets have since been taken down.
So was that a feature or a bug? Either way, there's some poetic justice here, and the ultimate message is, private isn't private.

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
join:2000-08-06
Galt's Gulch
kudos:3
said by goalieskates:

Either way, there's some poetic justice here, and the ultimate message is, private isn't private.

+1

Oh the ironing
--
Don't feed trolls--it only makes them grow!

Steve
I know your IP address
Consultant
join:2001-03-10
Foothill Ranch, CA
kudos:5

4 recommendations

reply to goalieskates

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch

1 edit
Thanks for posting. This has me ROTFLOL
quote:
Digital etiquette: always ask permission before posting a friend's photo publicly. It's not about privacy settings, it's about human decency.

Randi Zuckerberg

BTW Randi, good luck getting that pic off the intertoobs now.

--

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
said by StuartMW:

Thanks for posting. This has me ROTFLOL

quote:
Digital etiquette: always ask permission before posting a friend's photo publicly. It's not about privacy settings, it's about human decency.
Randi Zuckerberg

Oh the humanity! I think it's about time to get Human Rights Watch involved, and possibly several UN agencies... or Randi could just throw a bowl of pasta at her brother standing over in the corner.
--
“The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.” A. de Tocqueville

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch
Yep, Amnesty International needs to get involved as well. Her human rights have been violated.

Muttley laugh
--

Ian
Premium
join:2002-06-18
ON
reply to goalieskates
I'm having a hard time believing that someone could really be that stupid. I suspect it's more to hype the new Facebook "poke" app with publicity. Anyone really believe the Zuckerburg family was shot all "candidly" slack-jawed with amazement over the new thing? Maybe I'm too cynical.

But assuming she is that stupid, her brother should sit her down and explain to her about the Internet and social networking sites.
--
“Any claim that the root of a problem is simple should be treated the same as a claim that the root of a problem is Bigfoot. Simplicity and Bigfoot are found in the real world with about the same frequency.” – David Wong

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch

1 recommendation

said by Ian:

I'm having a hard time believing that someone could really be that stupid.

I'm not.
quote:
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.

Albert Einstein

There are hundreds of millions of FB users that do that same thing every day.
--

hortnut
Huh?

join:2005-09-25
PNW
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit
reply to goalieskates
Looking at the Picture, it has the appearance of being "posed".

- Positions of those in the Photo
- Similar facial expressions
- Can see everyone's face clearly
- Stuff on the counter does not seem 'right'
- All in the room, know or should know what they are doing and did
- Keeping the "buzz" going on this "mistake" by bringing in new buzzwords, such as human decency this morning. It was not used in last evening's articles.

Any publicity for a new product is good publicity.

I call "Bull" on the whole thing. It is a non-story and should just die.

Edit: Looked at all my friend's Christmas Pictures that have been posted so far and none come even close to the professional quality of the one in question.

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-13
USA
kudos:24
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
·Speakeasy
reply to Steve
Ah, yes. Rules of netiquette! Of all the people to lecture anyone in this manner!

OZO
Premium
join:2003-01-17
kudos:2
reply to goalieskates
It's "social" media for god sake. It's what your brother has created. Now enjoy it...
--
Keep it simple, it'll become complex by itself...

DrStrange
Technically feasible
Premium
join:2001-07-23
West Hartford, CT
kudos:1
reply to goalieskates
I'm shocked, SHOCKED, I tell you, to find invasion of privacy going on in this establishment!

Blogger
Jedi Poster
Premium
join:2012-10-18
reply to goalieskates
The concept of "private" and the Dodo bird have something in common in today's world.

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch
Yeah, but I'm not sure the Dodo bird ever existed.
--

red2

@wanadoo.fr
reply to goalieskates
Either way you look at it, this story is just perfect for us cynical folks.

Can you believe that Zuckerberg's sister just didn't realize that anything you "share" may end up being shared again and again...?

or

Can you believe that, like the series of Apple prototypes "mistakenly" left in public places, Facebook thought that this intentional public relations ploy would gain it lots of attention and press...and it would be the positive kind?

From my perspective, they lose either way.

siljaline
I'm lovin' that double wide
Premium
join:2002-10-12
Montreal, QC
kudos:18
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico
reply to goalieskates

La Luna
RIP Lisa
Premium
join:2001-07-12
Warwick, NY
reply to goalieskates
Either this is BS, or Randi doesn't know how to use the privacy settings, which I find hard to believe. So that brings us back to BS.

siljaline
I'm lovin' that double wide
Premium
join:2002-10-12
Montreal, QC
kudos:18
It's highly rumored that Randi slipped on her photo privacy settings.
It was the soup du Jour on Twitter.

not

@comcast.net
reply to La Luna
lol, what about the other guy in the movie? Ya know, his partner that he shafted. He didn't know how to change his Facebook status.

As a side note... Zuck really needs to stop wearing hoodies.

vaxvms
ferroequine fan
Premium
join:2005-03-01
Wormtown

1 recommendation

reply to goalieskates
I'm sure Randi has never posted a friend's, or anyone's, photo without asking.
--
CMKRNL

Phoenix22
Death From Above
Premium
join:2001-12-11
SOG C&C Nrth
reply to La Luna
yup.............wellt........bs it is then.....ok by me b