Camelot One
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-21
Greenwood, IN
kudos:2

New fence - kick/bottom plate question

Click for full size
New fence
My original plan was to wait until the spring to replace the fence, using the aluminum "versapost" system, with a 4" concrete base all the way around the yard. But the wife brought home 2 new puppies a day before I left town, and the old fence was in really bad shape. So I had a fence company come out and put up a new fence. They used 4x4 treated pine posts, 3 2x4 Cedar rails, and 6" cedar pickets. (3/4" actual thickness) Your basic wooden fence. I have the picket side all the way around my yard. I also have the higher ground, by a couple of inches, on 2 of the 3 sides. (mulch, not dirt)

The problem is the bottom. They left the pickets a few inches off the ground (as they should), but that won't do much good for the dogs. And creating a concrete line under it would be quite a pain. I've seen suggestions for running a 2x6 (or 2x something) TP kickplate along the bottom, buried an inch or two in the dirt. Thinking on that plan, I could run it on my side, in front of the pickets, or on the back side, tucked between the posts and the pickets. I think the back side would look better, but if I put it on the picket side, I could pile mulch up to it without rotting the pickets.

Another idea I had was to use the same brown metal edging I have on the other side of the beds. I think that might look better, but they are only about 4" high at the most, so I wouldn't be able to go into the ground much.

In either plan, I am a little concerned about drainage. It seems like I would be creating a damn of sorts. I guess a french drain could cure that.

I am open to any suggestions you might have. I need to do something quickly, before the dogs figure out they can get out.
--
Intel i7-2600k /ASRock P67 Extreme4 /4x 4Gb G.Skill /2x Intel 510 series 250Gb SSD /3x WD20EADS 2TB /2x PNY GTX 260 /Silverstone 850W /Custom water cooler /Antec Twelve-Hundred

VioletVenom
Lets go Gators
Premium
join:2002-01-02
Gainesville, FL

What's your main reasoning for considering some sort of edging on the bottom? Esthetics or dog retention?

dosdoxies
Premium
join:2004-12-15
Wallingford, PA
reply to Camelot One

I don't know if this is of any use to you. We have a couple of Dachshunds who are notorious diggers. We had a 4' chain link fence put around our back yard and I put 4x4 landscape timbers (they might be 6x6, it was a long time ago) at the bottom between the posts. I drilled a hole on each end and used 2' sections of 3/8 or 1/2 rebar driven into the ground. They don't try to dig under them.
--
The more people I meet, the better I like my dogs.

Camelot One
Premium,MVM
Greenwood, IN
reply to VioletVenom

The purpose would be dog retention. They don't seem interested in digging much, but in the places where there is a noticeable gap, such as behind the rock, they take notice.

But I would prefer to find a way to address the problem without it looking hideous, since I just spent a year and a half landscaping and building the screen room back there.
--
Intel i7-2600k /ASRock P67 Extreme4 /4x 4Gb G.Skill /2x Intel 510 series 250Gb SSD /3x WD20EADS 2TB /2x PNY GTX 260 /Silverstone 850W /Custom water cooler /Antec Twelve-Hundred

VioletVenom
Lets go Gators
Premium
Gainesville, FL

Puppy bumpers!

»www.puppybumpers.net/index.htm

In all seriousness I'd consider chicken wire or the such. If you have access to the backside of the fence it could be installed out of sight and wouldn't be an eyesore.

edit a word

Camelot One
Premium,MVM
Greenwood, IN
reply to dosdoxies

I'm not too concerned about them digging under, its more to fill the gaps that tease them into trying. Though that may change as they get more comfortable here.

VioletVenom
Lets go Gators
Premium
Gainesville, FL

I see. I think your original idea would be best suited then, in terms of esthetics and cost wise. Landscaping with stone, or something similar, against the fence would run quite a bit I'd surmise from your picture as it appears to be a fairly large backyard. Yeah, not coming up with anything else at the moment.

Camelot One
Premium,MVM
Greenwood, IN

Sadly, not nearly as big as it looks. 154 linear feet total on the fence. And the "puppies" are already about 35lb each, so it would take a decent size hole for them to get out.
--

Camelot One
Premium,MVM
Greenwood, IN
reply to Camelot One

I had planned on spraying the cedar with a clear sealer, can anyone recommend a locally available stain for the TP kickboard that would somewhat match?

mityfowl
Premium
join:2000-11-06
Dallas, TX
reply to Camelot One

2x4 or 2x6 treated depending on the gap.

Don't bury, just dig a little where it needs to get a nice transition into the next board.

Don't worry about the water if you have any slope at all it will find it's way out.

If I was in dallas I would shoot you some pic of mine and my neighbors but I'm suffering through the holidays in miserable Phoenix

Cute dogs.

VioletVenom
Lets go Gators
Premium
Gainesville, FL
reply to Camelot One

Hehe, not so puppyish in size, gotcha. Perhaps someone else in here can come up with some other ideas for you. At 154 LF stone might not be too cost prohibitive, considering what your budget is and how you want it to look.

Jtmo
Premium
join:2001-05-20
Novato, CA
reply to Camelot One

Hard to do now, but this product would have been nice to put under the slats. »easytrimfenceguard.com/pictures/

Other options:
Aluminum sheet metal 6 inches or less attached to the bottom and into the dirt.

Border or other landscape rocks.

Dog guards »digdefence.com/

Drive wooden stakes into the ground every 8-10 inches.

natedj
Elected
Premium
join:2001-06-06
Columbia, SC
reply to Camelot One

Why not just build up the mulch bed a little higher all around the fencing. That way you still get your drainage.
--
Good judgement comes with experience...Experience comes after bad judgements

Camelot One
Premium,MVM
Greenwood, IN

said by natedj:

Why not just build up the mulch bed a little higher all around the fencing. That way you still get your drainage.

I was told cedar rots very quickly when in contact with the ground. If that isn't the case, then I am chasing the wrong problem.
--

Xioden
Premium
join:2008-06-10
Monticello, NY
kudos:1
reply to Camelot One

You could try some plastic chicken wire or mesh, just dig down a foot or so, lay it in and staple it on.

Also make sure to check you can in fact have the fence with the "presentation" side facing in. It varies from place to place, but some places don't allow it and they will cite you for it.

Camelot One
Premium,MVM
Greenwood, IN

said by Xioden:

Also make sure to check you can in fact have the fence with the "presentation" side facing in.

The rule here is that you replace it as it was, and in my case, that was all picket side in. Just got lucky on the neighborhood layout.
--

Camelot One
Premium,MVM
Greenwood, IN
reply to Camelot One

To update this...... after letting the wife take a look at each of the options, I think I have a plan.

Going to start by cutting some 2x4 spacer blocks out of TP, to go between the bottom of each post and the picket in front of it. (runners are screwed to the front of the posts, so there is a gap) Then screw 5/4 x 6" decking boards (TP) in front of the pickets, so that each end is sharing a 4x4. And for extra support, probably cut some TP stakes and put those behind pickets at 2' intervals.

Anyone see any flaws to this plan?
--

Annmarie
Lillian
join:2000-11-11
kudos:5
reply to Camelot One

OTish - having owned those two wonderful Terriers the can be notorious diggers. By nature they are ratters I do believe.

One is a White West Highland Terrier and the other a Scottish Terrier or possibly a Carrin Terrier? Correct me if I am wrong.

Any sort of dyed mulch and possibly even natural cedar mulch can bleed color and would look horrendous on the pups.
It looks horrendous on hands, clothing and shoes.

Whatever solution you do come up with make sure it cannot snag onto the dogs' collars. Even if the dog gets snagged and you are right there with it they can panic making it very difficult to rescue them.
--
Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are good is like expecting the bull not to charge because you are a vegetarian.

Expand your moderator at work

PeeWee
Premium
join:2001-10-21
Madera, CA
reply to Camelot One

Re: New fence - kick/bottom plate question

Hot -wire?

Draiman
Let me see those devil horns in the sky

join:2012-06-01
Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Camelot One

If it were me I'd just use some garden/chicken metal fence between the ground and the cedar. I'd dig down like 4-6 inches to bury the fence then staple it to the back side of the cedar with like 1/4" wide crown staples.
--
IF YOU FIND ANY MISTAKES IN MY WORK...Please consider that they are there for a purpose. I try to please everyone and there is always someone looking for mistakes!

garys_2k
Premium
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI
Reviews:
·Callcentric
·callwithus

said by Draiman:

If it were me I'd just use some garden/chicken metal fence between the ground and the cedar. I'd dig down like 4-6 inches to bury the fence then staple it to the back side of the cedar with like 1/4" wide crown staples.

^ This ^

The chicken wire won't be a visual issue, will require little maintenance, isn't costly, is easy to trim and install, won't impact drainage and ought to be plenty to keep the dogs in the yard.

mityfowl
Premium
Dallas, TX

said by garys_2k:

said by Draiman:

^ This ^

The chicken wire won't be a visual issue, will require little maintenance, isn't costly, is easy to trim and install, won't impact drainage and ought to be plenty to keep the dogs in the yard.

Until someone goes to weed eat the bermuda and St. Augustine grass we have.

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

said by mityfowl:

said by garys_2k:

said by Draiman:

^ This ^

I have no issues with a weed eater around chicken/garden fence/wire. It works great to deter our dog from trying to dig. It's a proven method to handle the issue. I got the idea from another dog owner who got it from another dog owner. I didn't just get up this morning and decide to make up something that sounds good to post.
--
IF YOU FIND ANY MISTAKES IN MY WORK...Please consider that they are there for a purpose. I try to please everyone and there is always someone looking for mistakes!

garys_2k
Premium
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI
Reviews:
·Callcentric
·callwithus
reply to mityfowl

said by mityfowl:

said by garys_2k:

said by Draiman:

^ This ^

He said he had mulch around the bottom of the fence. Hence, no grass to trim.

mityfowl
Premium
Dallas, TX

said by garys_2k:

But that doesn't take into account the neighbor(s) on the other side of the fence.

margerydany

join:2012-11-14
Dallas, TX
reply to Camelot One

To prevent sagging bottom rails should be supported with a kick plate.

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to mityfowl

said by mityfowl:

said by garys_2k:

But that doesn't take into account the neighbor(s) on the other side of the fence.

If we based our lives around that kind of stuff we'd be in deep shit!
--

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
kudos:1
reply to Draiman

said by Draiman:

I have no issues with a weed eater around chicken/garden fence/wire.

When using a weed eater on fence wire I have to use a lot more line. That would be my last choice.

Critsmcgee

join:2011-12-02
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

said by robbin:

said by Draiman:

I have no issues with a weed eater around chicken/garden fence/wire.

When using a weed eater on fence wire I have to use a lot more line. That would be my last choice.

You still use line? You need to look into Aero-Flex! It makes no difference if you have chain, wood, concrete, or anything else for a wall you need to trim around with that.
»www.aero-flex.com/