share rss forum feed

Maxo
Your tax dollars at work.
Premium,VIP
join:2002-11-04
Tallahassee, FL
reply to ds7

Re: Why NOT XFCE?

It's an Intel card. I wrote a shell script that would do multi-monitor and had it run at login, but it looked horrible as I watched it go from single to double on log in, and I felt that such a hack was stupid to have to rely on.

The need to set keybindings for common apps is also less useful than having everything; applications, files, etc. available in about three or four keystrokes.

pablo
MVM
join:2003-06-23
kudos:1

said by Maxo:

The need to set keybindings for common apps is also less useful than having everything; applications, files, etc. available in about three or four keystrokes.

I love using key bindings for my GUI applications. KDE provides a nice framework. Over the years, I've tweaked some of my settings so they're all the same. Like "g" in gwenview (re)"gets" the image. Similar, "g" in Thunderbird (not a KDE app) (re)"gets" email ... etc.

Cheers,
-pablo
--
openSUSE 12.2/KDE 4.x
ISP: TekSavvy Bonded DSL; backhauled via a 6KM wireless link
Assorted goodies: »pablo.blog.blueoakdb.com

HoboJ

join:2008-03-27
Cornwall, ON
reply to Bill_MI

I have never found a reason to try XFCE. It offers nothing that a half dozen other DE's don't already offer afaik. Though if it does offer something truely unique and interesting I wouldn't mind knowing about it...

Bill_MI
Bill In Michigan
Premium,MVM
join:2001-01-03
Royal Oak, MI
kudos:2
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..
reply to ds7

said by ds7:

My values in a GUI: speed, simplicity, keyboard support, text labels, a logical menu, utilities to configure the system, quick access to applications.

I sense we're very similar with custom keyboard shortcuts for the things we do all the time. Looks like pablo is in our little group on KDE.

I'm sure you've also seen this feature get hammered in recent years. Unity actually kept it alive but it's so different than my scheme.

Heck, custom keyboard shortcuts is TOTALLY BROKEN in the recent Mint 14 Cinnamon release and last I checked the bug was still unassigned. And I HATE hacking to get what I want as much as the next guy.

Hall
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH
reply to GILXA1226

said by GILXA1226:

I installed Enlightenment 17...

I am in shock that E is still around and in active development. It was my favorite interface ... 10+ years ago !! It was at 16.5 then !!

Ultimately, all of these interface options really don't help *nix in the end. They'll never get a decent userbase with so many "options". I know, I know, options are a good thing. I remember running Gnome and loved the consistency, but then there was an app or two that were built under KDE - throw out that consistency ! Same when I tried KDE and had some Gnome apps.

Selenia
I love Debian
Premium
join:2006-09-22
Fort Smith, AR
reply to Bill_MI

It is an excellent lightweight desktop with a few caveats to scare some away. I personally use it to recycle some old Pentium 3s for some kids I babysit. I go headless on the other recycled machines for router/squid/various servers. Xfce requires knowing how to tune config files to truly customize it any way one would want. Also, one must be choosy that apps don't rely on Gnome libs or such or you'll be running almost as bloated, without the integration Gnome/KDE offer. I personally love KDE and run it on my newer machines, for which it presents no challenge to the machine. Still runs lighter than Windows and much prettier, not to mention way faster. I think xfce has caught on with the old machine recycling crowd, but for those who can run the modern desktops, can't beat them for integration and neatness. However these people represent a vast minority of desktop users, which is why xfce only has a few % of users. E16/17 is also an excellent alternative for this crowd. However, I cannot stand LXDE. I don't know how anyone can. However, it has also caught on a bit with that crowd.
--
A fool thinks they know everything.

A wise person knows enough to know they couldn't possibly know everything.

There are zealots for every OS, like every religion. They do not represent the majority of users for either.

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

1 recommendation

reply to Bill_MI

said by Bill_MI:

Just curious why XFCE hasn't caught on?

I used it on some very underpowered hardware years ago. It made the system usable, which was a plus. It's been at least 10 years since then - modern CPUs/GPUs and many GB of ram make XFCE's tradeoffs of functionality for performance unnecessary for me.
--
My place : »www.schettino.us

timcuth
Braves Fan
Premium
join:2000-09-18
Pelham, AL
Reviews:
·Charter
·AT&T Southeast

said by JohnInSJ See Profile
I used it on some very underpowered hardware years ago. It made the system usable, which was a plus. It's been at least 10 years since then - modern CPUs/GPUs and many GB of ram make XFCE's tradeoffs of functionality for performance unnecessary for me.

How much are you talking about? I have a high powered CPU, modern HD graphics card, and 8 GB of fast RAM. Running the full blown Gnome 3 DE still seemed sluggish, so I went back to LXDE/Openbox. Everything is lickety-split, now.

Tim
--
"Life is like this long line, except at the end there ain't no merry-go-round." - Arthur on The King of Queens
~ Project Hope ~

Bink
Villains... knock off all that evil

join:2006-05-14
Castle Rock, CO
kudos:4
Reviews:
·VOIPO
reply to Bill_MI

I used to use Xfce and was pleased with it. It is far lighter than the KDE and GNOME behemoths while still providing a nice GUI. That said, I have mostly given up on prettied GUIs nowadays. I mostly use cwm now and find it just keeps the whole DE out of the way and allows me to quickly and efficiently navigate through my programs/work.

ground

join:2008-01-16
Toronto, ON

1 recommendation

reply to Bill_MI

XFCE is a good DE, but I find it too heavy, in fact it's very similar to Gnome 2.x in terms of h/w requirements. When Gnome 3.x came out XFCE got more attention from conservative Gnome users who didn't want to upgrade. I personally switched to LXDE.

boog
Premium
join:2000-07-24
Trenton, OH
reply to Bill_MI

I think a lot of it is just what your used to.

I got tired of all the laggy 'features' when I couldn't afford to upgrade my computer. So, I switched to xfce.

I go so used to it, that I still run it on everything. Of course it runs better on my netbook, but I even use it on my amd phenom desktop that will run other DE's just fine.

I have been using it for so long that nothing else feels right. I have tried others, but keep coming back to xfce.

FiReSTaRT
Premium
join:2010-02-26
Canada
Reviews:
·Velcom
reply to Bill_MI

I use it even though I'm rockin' 32GB of RAM The main attraction was that I was able to customize it to give me the look and feel of GNOME 2.x. It offers a bit of eye-candy without being too sweet, it's lightweight in comparison with its main competitors, uber-stable and looks good when configured.

The downsides:
1) It's not what I'd refer to as a lightweight desktop any more

2) Thunar really needs some work. I'm using Nemo instead (how many years has Thunar been dragging the can't display /home bug?)

3) It's a real hassle to tweak. Once it's tweaked it looks great and it's portable so you don't have to do it again, but it's not for your average desktop user

4) Not keyboard-friendly by default

For a while, I abandoned XFCE to go with Cinnamon 1.4, but then I went back. Cinnamon may have worked out most of its stability kinks by 1.6 but it still has next to zero customizability. Yes, we are getting dumber and dumberer, but give us the option to much things up even if you have to obfuscate it
--
If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange these apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas.
—George Bernard Shaw

Trihexagonal

join:2004-08-29
US
reply to Bill_MI

I've tried XFCE but prefer a WM over a DE and use fluxbox exclusively. I don't care for icons and set the toolbar to auto-hide.

If I use anything else I'm constantly right-clicking on the desktop for the menu out of habit.

pablo
MVM
join:2003-06-23
reply to FiReSTaRT

Hi FiReSTaRT See Profile,

How about a screen shot of your tweaked out environment?

Thx!
-pablo

Bill_MI
Bill In Michigan
Premium,MVM
Royal Oak, MI
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..
reply to FiReSTaRT

said by FiReSTaRT:

2) Thunar really needs some work. I'm using Nemo instead (how many years has Thunar been dragging the can't display /home bug?)

I'm curious if you've ever tried PCManFM and how it compares? It used to remind me a lot of Thunar but I still keep PCManFM handy because of its basic directory listing speed.

I'm glad this thread got restarted - I'll second pablo's request.

FiReSTaRT
Premium
Canada
Reviews:
·Velcom

1 recommendation

Nothing to write home about.. Wanted 2 panels at the bottom, mostly because I sometimes close maximized windows by using the mouse, wanted Menu and Places (I wish the menu was searchable and popped open with the super key, like the Mint menu), quick launch icons ftw, a desktop switcher that can work with mouse alone, no hot corners, a shutdown menu, played with window transparency a bit and did the same for the bottom panels to add continuity to the desktop image without detracting from the theme). One hassle was that I needed to set margins for the desktops so the windows would snap to the top of the top panel as opposed to having their bottoms hidden by the panels.

--
If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange these apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas.
—George Bernard Shaw

intok

join:2012-03-15
reply to Bill_MI

Because it's still not quite Gnome 2. Till it is I'll stick with Mate.

Bill_MI
Bill In Michigan
Premium,MVM
Royal Oak, MI
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..

said by intok:

Because it's still not quite Gnome 2. Till it is I'll stick with Mate.

No doubt about it, Mate and XFCE are the 2 at the top of my list. Thanks.

Bill_MI
Bill In Michigan
Premium,MVM
Royal Oak, MI
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..
reply to FiReSTaRT

said by FiReSTaRT:

Nothing to write home about...

Thanks! It's a grand example of customization. Is that Mint 13/14? Compiz doing transparency?

I love the Enhanced Zoom of Compiz but it's been so buggy recently and I find lots forcing older versions. :-(

FiReSTaRT
Premium
Canada
Reviews:
·Velcom

said by Bill_MI:

Thanks! It's a grand example of customization. Is that Mint 13/14? Compiz doing transparency?

I love the Enhanced Zoom of Compiz but it's been so buggy recently and I find lots forcing older versions. :-(

It's Nadia. I'm not too familiar with the XFCE nuts and bolts but I'm almost positive the XFCE WM does its own compositing. Not nearly as fully-featured as Compiz, but good enough to give a bit of candy and spice up your daily use desktop. Of course you have to have driver support for it, but since Intel has very good open source driver support, using the built in graphics does the trick for all my needs.
--
—George Bernard Shaw