uniqs
share rss forum feed

JoelC707
Premium
join:2002-07-09
Lanett, AL
kudos:5

Not so for me

I have a Panasonic Smart TV that is hooked to two things, my media center computer and an ethernet cable. I use the media center computer to watch any video files I have locally on my file server and browse the internet. I tried DLNA on the TV and didn't like it.

I DO however use the TV for Netflix (also has support for Hulu, Amazon, Pandora, Napster, Facebook, and maybe Twitter). I did set it up for Facebook but after having to reconfigure it every so often I gave up. Besides I can use my phone for Facebook.

I'm curious though, out of their list, I see a lot of things that simply can't be done on a TV by itself. A TV with a computer attached sure, but I've rarely if ever seen a browser on a TV app list, and most don't have a built-in camera so how can I use it for video calling?

bobjohnson
Premium
join:2007-02-03
Orlando, FL
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·T-Mobile US
·Sprint Mobile Br..
said by JoelC707:

I have a Panasonic Smart TV that is hooked to two things, my media center computer and an ethernet cable. I use the media center computer to watch any video files I have locally on my file server and browse the internet. I tried DLNA on the TV and didn't like it.

I DO however use the TV for Netflix (also has support for Hulu, Amazon, Pandora, Napster, Facebook, and maybe Twitter). I did set it up for Facebook but after having to reconfigure it every so often I gave up. Besides I can use my phone for Facebook.

I'm curious though, out of their list, I see a lot of things that simply can't be done on a TV by itself. A TV with a computer attached sure, but I've rarely if ever seen a browser on a TV app list, and most don't have a built-in camera so how can I use it for video calling?

I have a Samsung LED that has the smart hub, etc in it. Never have connected it to WiFi and probably won't. It has a USB port for webcams and such. When I bought it they had a couple with the mic and camera built in... I still use my old HP with Win XP media center with HDMI. That's smart enough for me.
--

JoelC707
Premium
Lanett, AL
Now that you mention it, mine has USB ports too. I know there's a USB wifi adapter for it and I believe you can plug in flash drives for pictures/music/video. It makes sense you could attach a webcam or something too.

bobjohnson
Premium
join:2007-02-03
Orlando, FL
I don't know about your model tv but mine has WiFi built in and Samsung makes a Skype camera for it. I suppose it could be useful but my laptop or phone seems like a better option for all these things..

JoelC707
Premium
Lanett, AL
It's a TC-P42X3 42" Plasma. No built-in wifi but does support it. I searched for the model + camera and didn't see anything specific but I'm not so sure I'd want it anyway. That TV is facing my bed so I have no real need to do Skype or anything like that from my bed LOL.