MVM
join:2005-09-26
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber to hypergiant

MVM

to hypergiant

Re: new installation tomorrow!

said by hypergiant:

Is it possible Verizon is planning to replace my ONT with a newer/updated one (one that may force me to use MoCA)?

Unlikely VZ would replace the ONT unless you're getting a speed tier that requires GPON. You did not indicate what speed tier you're getting.

There are no MOCA only ONTs.
said by hypergiant:

Are there any reasons why I would want to use the supplied router?

The VZ supplied router will be adequate for the speed tier you're getting. You didn't mention the router you have. Some older routers are not capable of supporting VZ's higher speed tiers.

The tech should be willing to provide a cat5 connection from the ONT, especially if it makes his install easier.

The tech will probably want to install the VZ router to ensure everything is working correctly with VZ equipment. Once he's done that, you're free to replace the Actiontec with your own router. Just be sure to release the DHCP lease before switching routers.
»Verizon FiOS FAQ »How do I release my DHCP lease? Why would I need to?
hypergiant
join:2012-12-27
Wesley Chapel, FL

hypergiant

said by More Fiber:

The tech should be willing to provide a cat5 connection from the ONT, especially if it makes his install easier.

The tech will probably want to install the VZ router to ensure everything is working correctly with VZ equipment. Once he's done that, you're free to replace the Actiontec with your own router. Just be sure to release the DHCP lease before switching routers.

Thanks! Does this mean that the router they provide only has an ethernet WAN port and no coax?
Expand your moderator at work

ilikeme
Premium Member
join:2002-08-27
Stafford, TX

ilikeme to hypergiant

Premium Member

to hypergiant

Re: new installation tomorrow!

said by hypergiant:

said by More Fiber:

Thanks! Does this mean that the router they provide only has an ethernet WAN port and no coax?

The router will have both and ethernet WAN and coax WAN ports.
hypergiant
join:2012-12-27
Wesley Chapel, FL

hypergiant

Cool. I'll ask them to install using the ethernet WAN port on the provided router. That way if I run into any issues I can easily bypass it to directly connect my firewall to the ONT.

Thanks for your help, folks!