uniqs
share rss forum feed

hypergiant

join:2012-12-27
Wesley Chapel, FL
reply to More Fiber

Re: new installation tomorrow!

said by More Fiber:

The tech should be willing to provide a cat5 connection from the ONT, especially if it makes his install easier.

The tech will probably want to install the VZ router to ensure everything is working correctly with VZ equipment. Once he's done that, you're free to replace the Actiontec with your own router. Just be sure to release the DHCP lease before switching routers.
»Verizon Online FiOS FAQ »How do I release my DHCP lease

Thanks! Does this mean that the router they provide only has an ethernet WAN port and no coax?

ilikeme
I live in a van down by the river.
Premium
join:2002-08-27
Sugar Land, TX
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Vonage
said by hypergiant:

said by More Fiber:

The tech should be willing to provide a cat5 connection from the ONT, especially if it makes his install easier.

The tech will probably want to install the VZ router to ensure everything is working correctly with VZ equipment. Once he's done that, you're free to replace the Actiontec with your own router. Just be sure to release the DHCP lease before switching routers.
»Verizon Online FiOS FAQ »How do I release my DHCP lease

Thanks! Does this mean that the router they provide only has an ethernet WAN port and no coax?

The router will have both and ethernet WAN and coax WAN ports.
--

Fiber Optics is the future of high-speed internet access. Stop by the BBR Fiber Optic Forum

hypergiant

join:2012-12-27
Wesley Chapel, FL
Cool. I'll ask them to install using the ethernet WAN port on the provided router. That way if I run into any issues I can easily bypass it to directly connect my firewall to the ONT.

Thanks for your help, folks!