how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

elefante72

join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY

Its all a waste

Technology changes so fast, and these "apps" are free so TV companies are worried about margin, so they just let the apps dies or stay out of date. The "android" problem.

They would be better served if they have a plug in processor (coming) and that way one can pay for software and the hardware is updated as the options become more rich.

The whole AppleTV thingy is the same. If you can buy an ATV for $99, why would you want a non-changeable one built into the TV?

My last Roku was $50, and it gets updated regularly by the app developers, so if I replace my TV I just plug it in and go. No playing w/ a new user interface and spending 1 hour getting passwords entered.

In fact entering authentication is the #########1 problem for all of this crap.

Also my Samsung TV wouldn't work properly HDMI-CEC to send the signal back to my receiver (known Denon bug), so check another issue to useless DRM and I'm not going to watch a movie through sickly speakers. I could have spent $50 to get a monoprice HDMI switch to strip out the DRM, but at that point, enter Roku.

There is a reason on computers they are monitors and cheap, because the brains come elsewhere but you pay $$$ for the quality you are looking for.

Factor in Airplay and Miracast, and now the smarts are in a tablet or a stick. Even more useless to have a smart TV.

djrobx
Premium
join:2000-05-31
Valencia, CA
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VOIPO
The features I'd like to see in a TV are:

1) Airplay (with video support). Because I don't want to futz with inputs to get to a device that supports it when I click the button on my phone.

2) WORKING, reliable, and fast HDMI HDCP handshaking. Seriously, who designed this standard? It seems like every manufacturer has trouble getting this right. This includes HDMI Control and other features designed to eliminate the need to have all of my gear in the line of sight of my remote.

3) RVU client - give me the ability to have a full featured "cable box" with nothing more than a coax cable hooked to the TV, and the actual cable box hidden away somewhere.

4) Full Surround sound speaker outputs. Most people use powered subwoofers, so you really don't need a high wattage amplifier built in. It would be nice to do away with the AVR, since most TVs already have input switching features.

I think "smarts" are best left to external devices that can be upgraded/changed out at low cost. We just need the connectivity options that allow seamless integration to work as designed. HDMI supports ethernet, IR control, sending audio back to a receiver, etc.

--
AT&T U-Hearse - RIP Unlimited Internet 1995-2011
Rethink Billable.
Expand your moderator at work