dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
UverseTech2
join:2012-08-04

UverseTech2 to DataRiker

to DataRiker

Re: Recurring U-verse problems, stay or bail?

DataRiker is correct about the Motorola 1216 and 1225 shipped DOA, one customer watched me go thru 3 bad 1225s before finding a good one. I have to say the 2250s feel and act like the Cisco dvrs they even have the similar black case, and they almost always worked. It would not surprise me if these were OEM Cisco boxes.

I had a habit of replacing all 3800's with 3801's in the field when on repairs, and one in particular had the SSID 2WIRE666 which I removed from a residence in Katy,TX this January due to an intermittent wifi issue. The ipad was great at remembering the wifi keys, so when I was doing an install in Irving 5 months later all they had were the 3800 and I inadvertently grabbed this same unit. I would have never know but as soon as it booted my wifi was connected and then I remembered this box from earlier in the year. I then removed this unit and made sure nobody else would ever use it.

This I know was a one in a million chance but it really confirmed the blind input and output of returned equipment.

This whole issue with defective units returning to the field was due to the inexperienced or lazy techs just swapping out perfectly good gear causing the refurb dept to ignore things.

DataRiker
Premium Member
join:2002-05-19

DataRiker

Premium Member

said by UverseTech2:

I had a habit of replacing all 3800's with 3801's in the field

Don't even get me started on 3600's. I don't even use them anymore, nobody has said anything yet...

Mangix
join:2012-02-16
united state

Mangix

My experience with the 3600HG-V is that it has superior internet performance to both the 3800 and 3801. I seriously believe it to be a firmware issue where not enough bandwidth gets allocated to the internet portion, both when the TV is on and off.

I need to get a hold of a motorola 2310 and do some comparisons.

Athos
@sbcglobal.net

Athos to DataRiker

Anon

to DataRiker
"Don't even get me started on 3600's. I don't even use them anymore, nobody has said anything yet..."

My 3600 has been running without problems for two years now. Is it possibly an installer problem on your end?

DataRiker
Premium Member
join:2002-05-19

2 edits

DataRiker

Premium Member

No. They have had two recalls for defective wireless, are the most common DOA, and do not perform well after 2200 ft.

Also ATT recommends the 3801 for marginal installs. ( I'm sure Uverse tech can once again back this up; see this way too many times with my own eyes to doubt ATT's advice on this one)

I've had way to many defective 3600's to justify using them. The main culprit is the wireless though, 2 recalls and we have been warned they are still being drop shipped.
UverseTech2
join:2012-08-04

UverseTech2

Once again this is a very accurate assessment, so accurate I never installed a 3600, even on the self installs that I went into the premises to do a quick install knowing that if I did not it would never work. I would swap the 3600 they received in the mail with a 3801.
Everybody possible received the 3801. I would only use a 3800 on the FTTP installs because they were nothing more than a switch on these, and I had to save the 3801 for everyone not on fiber.