uniqs

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5

Premium Member

Hybrid cars best value over 5 yr total cost of ownership

Consumer reports lists a Prius as having best value. And 5 yr TCO is the reason why.

Hybrid's resale % remains high and results in lower total cost over the length of ownership.

»www.csmonitor.com/Busine ··· -Hybrids
Dodge
Premium Member
join:2002-11-27

Dodge

Premium Member

quote:
The latest recognition from Consumer Reports comes as Toyota is enjoying strong sales for its flagship hybrid line-up, the Prius. This year, Toyota has set a record for the Prius, selling more than 200,000 models in the U.S.

How many of these were fleet sales? A lot of Priuses went to NYC taxi as all cabs have to be "green" by 2014 (or somewhere there). Worst cabs EVER btw! Bring back the crown vic!!!
quote:
Best Value Large /Luxury SUV: Lexus RX 350
Worst Value Large /Luxury SUV: Nissan Armada Platinum

Seriously? These are in the same category? Why is anyone still listening to anything consumer reports says at this point?

Mospaw
My socks don't match.

join:2001-01-08
New Braunfels, TX

Mospaw to FFH5

to FFH5
If a car is purely a transportation appliance to its owner, where things like style, personality, etc. are not really considerations, and where paying the absolute least amount of money to operate a car is the biggest factor, I guess their right.

But man oh man what a boring list of cars. I've never been in a Prius but have driven a Hybrid Camry (which I realize isn't on this list, but it's the same drivertain as a Prius). It was well built and comfortable, but it drove terribly. No response to the pedal and it felt numb all over. The worst part was the A/C wasn't keeping up with the mild 95 degree day in Vegas.

I know a lot of people would disagree, but I'd rather pay more for the car and have something fun, engaging, interesting, or at least not an appliance.

And I agree with Dodge, who listens to Consumer Reports any more?

Cho Baka
MVM
join:2000-11-23
there

2 recommendations

Cho Baka

MVM

said by Mospaw:

But man oh man what a boring list of cars. I've never been in a Prius but have driven a Hybrid Camry (which I realize isn't on this list, but it's the same drivertain as a Prius). It was well built and comfortable, but it drove terribly. No response to the pedal and it felt numb all over. The worst part was the A/C wasn't keeping up with the mild 95 degree day in Vegas.

The drivetrain is completely different on the Camry Hybrid and the Prius. Concept of operation is identical, but the engine, transaxle and battery + tuning are different.

I am not sure what generation you drove, but the second generation (2012 MY) is extensively redone and the driving dynamics are far improved. 200 system HP and pedal response that is more linear/aggressive (Normal and ECO modes). It isn't a sports car, but then it obviously isn't pretending either.

As for the A/C, I strongly disagree with your assessment of AC performance. The last place I worked had multiple cars as runners, one was a Prius. The Prius was always chosen first on hot days (40+ deg C + humid) as the A/C was better than anything else.
One of the greatest advantages is that compressor speed is independent of engine speed, so max compressor operation is possible even when stopped - a situation that conventional vehicles are stuck a compressor speed that is limited by the engine idle speed.

Mospaw
My socks don't match.

join:2001-01-08
New Braunfels, TX

Mospaw

We drove the Camry hybrid when we were looking for my wife's last car, so it was around the middle of 2008. My apologies for inaccurately representing the drive train. The sales person had said that it's the same system Toyota uses in the Prius which I had interpreted as "identical".

Sounds like the 2012 is a lot nicer car to drive. Presumably the one I drove was a 2008 and "completely numb" is the best way I can describe it. The A/C was terrible, surprisingly so. It blew cool-ish air, but not cold, and not enough to keep the cabin as cool as it should have been. If I'm not mistaken, it's all electric as opposed to engine belt-driven, correct? If so, then yes it should have been ice cold regardless of engine speed.

It also could have been that particular Camry. Like I said, I've never been in a Prius, so I can't comment on A/C in them, but I would presume it's similar to the Camry system (and could be wrong). I know several Prius owners (some multiple owners) and they love them. I presume the A/C works well enough for them!

The real shocker was the price. It was around $34,000 and since it was a hybrid and they were in high demand, there was zero wiggle room on that price. Needless to say, we got a different car.

Cho Baka
MVM
join:2000-11-23
there

Cho Baka to FFH5

MVM

to FFH5
Correct on the electric drive for the AC compressor.
Also correct in that it is the same type of system in the Prius.

Availability is better now, and in addition there are also cheaper levels available now. Starts at $26,935.