uniqs
computerman2
Premium Member
join:2002-04-20
Trenton, MI

computerman2

Premium Member

Smart Electric Meters and DSL?

Will Smart Electric meters interfere with DSL? Electric coming installing them in our Condos in the next few weeks. Currently have a Netgear 7550 N Gateway.

d_l
Barsoom
MVM
join:2002-12-08
Reno, NV

d_l

MVM

A switch to smart meters, both electric and gas, did not measurably affect my relatively strong RT DSL signal. I asked the installer how the meters communicated with the utility and he said that it was over the cell phone network. I had thought all smart meters were using the power lines to report usage data, but obviously that method wouldn't work for the gas meters.

Your mileage may vary if the meters use the power lines for signalling.
computerman2
Premium Member
Trenton, MI

computerman2

Premium Member

Well from the Utlities Website says electric meter will be over power lines communication and the gas meter will be a small radio transmitter, I guess Cellular for that one, I guess will just see how things perform once installed at this point. Got a Relatively Strong Remote Terminal DSL signal right now.

Though did take forever to download all of Battlefield 3 Premium and Expansions Christmas lol, But if I have to ever do a clean install of Windows 8, I guess will just let it take it's time getting my files

BlueMist
join:2011-01-24
Cookeville, TN

1 edit

BlueMist to computerman2

to computerman2
I'd upgrade your fire insurance before they install them.

From what I've read some of the smart meters use thinner prongs on the meter then what the older meters used. Plug the new meters into the older, and possibly looser, meter base socket and fires have occurred due to the sockets heating up.

Not saying your building will have a fire but the extra insurance will help replace things should the worst happen...

Try a Google search with "smart meter Fire" minus the quotes and start reading...
scross
join:2002-09-13
USA

scross to computerman2

to computerman2
It has been noted that simply removing and reinstalling the same old-fashioned meter is a potential fire risk, because the break/make connection on oxidized or burned contacts can lead to overheating. Installers are supposed to check this and have the socket replaced if it's a problem (quite possibly at the owner's expense, I might add), but obviously they aren't always doing this.
computerman2
Premium Member
Trenton, MI

1 edit

computerman2

Premium Member

Will read up on smart meters, and learn all I can prior to the install, and pray nothing bad like a fire happens...

There calling these meters from DTE Advanced Meter..but will read up

ilikeme
Premium Member
join:2002-08-27
Stafford, TX

ilikeme to computerman2

Premium Member

to computerman2
Both in Houston and Denton the power companies have their own wireless networks to read the meters. The antennas are located on the utility poles all around town.

ArgMeMatey
join:2001-08-09
Milwaukee, WI

ArgMeMatey to computerman2

to computerman2
I would not expect any problems unless there are existing problems with your DSL service. Any radio-based smart meter would have to be thoroughly tested for RF emissions.

If you wish, contact the utility or the Michigan PSC to get specifics on the meters they are using. Or if you know some place that already has them installed, get a photo to post and get the FCC ID. Then check the FCC website to get the test data and frequency info.

I had DSL from 2003 to 2012, and a 900 MHz meter was installed around 2005. Never suspected, never had any unexplained issues that affected ADSL service. My electric meter is a foot or two from the NID and DSL splitter, which would be very common in the field, so you can bet they have a ton of emission and interference data to work with.