bt
join:2009-02-26
canada

1 recommendation

bt to kcorscadden

to kcorscadden

Re: Ppl need a reality check about leaving due to their stance

said by kcorscadden:

TSI fought the Big 3 and the CRTC in the past, not the provincial/federal courts due to copyright infringement.

Few, if any, are asking TSI to fight the courts. They're asking them to fight against Voltage's request for disclosure in court.
kcorscadden
join:2007-04-04
Kingston, ON

kcorscadden

Ok, then ppl should be asking whether or not Voltage has the right to ask for this info and not blaming TSI for their stance.

Tx
bronx cheers from cheap seats
Premium Member
join:2008-11-19
Mississauga, ON

2 recommendations

Tx

Premium Member

said by kcorscadden:

Ok, then ppl should be asking whether or not Voltage has the right to ask for this info and not blaming TSI for their stance.

Go read a few hundred articles off of www.torrentfreak.com and see what Voltage is all about. They abuse the court systems with the pay up or else schemes. TSI's stance is setting a precedence in Canada. That's one of the reason people are upset.

The abuse it with a legal loophole allowing them to create court orders without ever intending to go to trial using pay up or else schemes
bt
join:2009-02-26
canada

1 recommendation

bt to kcorscadden

to kcorscadden
said by kcorscadden:

Ok, then ppl should be asking whether or not Voltage has the right to ask for this info

And just who exactly should people be posing that question to?

(hint: the people who aren't happy with TSI want them to be questioning that very point in court)
cynic10
join:2011-02-05

2 edits

cynic10 to Tx

to Tx
said by Tx:

said by kcorscadden:

Go read a few hundred articles off of www.torrentfreak.com and see what Voltage is all about. They abuse the court systems with the pay up or else schemes. TSI's stance is setting a precedence in Canada. That's one of the reason people are upset.

The abuse it with a legal loophole allowing them to create court orders without ever intending to go to trial using pay up or else schemes

Exactly this!

Op failed to understand the bigger picture just like the very ppl who seem to be arguing for Voltage or agreeing TSI's actions.

I'm not even on the list of guilty and I don't even download those junk.

But gee, I guess by some ppl's logic because I'm arguing against the copyright trolls I must be guilty. To them I say Screw off! Hopefully one day they find themselves accidentally on the receiving end because they were "Identified" as the IP responsible and sued to oblivion with not much proof.

Such ignorance and apathy is why those trolls are able to run loose. And the "If you did nothing wrong so you have nothing to fear" statement is such a moronic saying. It reminds me of the same argument used in getting those TSA at the airports and now look what happened.

If anything OP needs a reality check and need to educate himself further. This is more than just about copyright.
FatBastid
join:2012-12-27
Toronto, ON

FatBastid

Those people watch too much American TV, our laws and court system are supposed to be fairer than theirs and we should fight tooth and nail against greedy bastards who want to piss on our Canadian ways, not bend over. Let precedents like this take place and it's a slippery slope, that's why CIPPIC wants to intervene. Those who still can't understand that are just useful idiots in the hands of the trolls.

andyb
Premium Member
join:2003-05-29
SW Ontario

andyb to Tx

Premium Member

to Tx
said by Tx:

said by kcorscadden:

I have no idea about a loophole but we do not know what action voltage is going to take.History in 1 idiotic country does not mean its duplicated here(though it can be wont argue there).

As for TSI stance well the ISP's are supposed to be neutral as in dumb pipes.You either want them to be monitors or you dont.False positives can be worked out with the ISP to prove before hand.No need for a lawyer or going bankrupt in most cases.

Either way always get a GOOD lawyers opinion,not one who will take the case just to make money

Tx
bronx cheers from cheap seats
Premium Member
join:2008-11-19
Mississauga, ON

Tx

Premium Member

said by andyb:

said by Tx:

said by kcorscadden:

I have no idea about a loophole but we do not know what action voltage is going to take.History in 1 idiotic country does not mean its duplicated here(though it can be wont argue there).

As for TSI stance well the ISP's are supposed to be neutral as in dumb pipes.You either want them to be monitors or you dont.False positives can be worked out with the ISP to prove before hand.No need for a lawyer or going bankrupt in most cases.

Either way always get a GOOD lawyers opinion,not one who will take the case just to make money

Problem is, if i were ever to get accused. I already live a busy enough life, between my hobbies, work, my kids, my wife and my house chores. I rarely get 5 seconds to go out and look for a lawyer for their advice, spending money to get said advice.

The burden really shouldn't be on me to now go shopping for a lawyer and find out my next move should i ever get accused.

Though i don't pirate (i used to when i was young but i tend to enjoy living guilt free now) i don't want the burden of all of this to now mean taking time off work to protect my family and our money.

How is this fair to consumers? We depend on our ISP's our anything, doesn't matter who, to challenge something if accused. Just because someone says "yup they did it, we have an IP" we're guilty and now it's up to us to prove otherwise? No way man.

I was once accused long long time ago, wasn't any fishing expedition like Voltage but i called their lawyers office right away and i had to fill out a lot of paperwork proving i was innocent. I was lucky back then, that the lawyers believed me and i was off the hook.

I'm passionate about this because i was one of those wrongly accused. It takes you to be accused to see the otherside it seems. Otherwise you get people like the OP telling people to give their head a shake.

With technology these days, people are becoming more and more naive with just how exposed it leaves people. Look it up, you'll read several refuse to this day about using wifi. They hate it as it poses security risks.
Tx

Tx to andyb

Premium Member

to andyb
said by andyb:

said by Tx:

said by kcorscadden:

If i remember correctly Voltage went after people in the UK but i could be wrong. No matter where the border is, Voltage is run by the same trolls. Their business model is the same no matter your location. Earn profits by suing as many as possible.

Even at a success rate of 40% of people paying up to the demands of a "pay up or else" letter, that's a good day for them. Only difference for Voltage in Canada is the maximum they can get from us. In the states, the skies the limit.

apvm
join:2003-02-14
London, ON
Linksys WRT1900AC
SmartRG SR505N
Huawei HG612

apvm to Tx

to Tx
said by Tx:

How is this fair to consumers? We depend on our ISP's our anything, doesn't matter who, to challenge something if accused. Just because someone says "yup they did it, we have an IP" we're guilty and now it's up to us to prove otherwise? No way man.

Tx is right on the money here. I am not going to support an ISP that don't respect us.

Looking at other ISP's pricing now, the pricing of EB fits my budget, still searching.

andyb
Premium Member
join:2003-05-29
SW Ontario

andyb to Tx

Premium Member

to Tx
said by Tx:

I was once accused long long time ago, wasn't any fishing expedition like Voltage but i called their lawyers office right away and i had to fill out a lot of paperwork proving i was innocent. I was lucky back then, that the lawyers believed me and i was off the hook.

Back then you would of got an email that you should of deleted rather than respond to it.That was a fishing expedition.

The burden has been put on you by the current government,not the ISP.The ISP doesnt change laws.

Fact of the matter is the ISP can do nothing unless it a false,then the ISP can state so and does have the obligation to state that you were not using the IP or that their servers screwed up so no ID is possible,etc

The isp should always be a dumb pipe.Anything else we become the US