All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs

Rattler
join:2001-04-13
Havertown, PA

Rattler to DGGSLF

to DGGSLF

Re: [IMG] FiOS TV app on Samsung bluray...

Click for full size
said by DGGSLF:

Is the app store also called Smart Hub on the BluRay player?

The App Store is an icon in the Smart Hub screen.

FWIW, attached is a pic of what I see when I enter the Smart Hub on the BluRay. The only item that changes (every 5 - 10 secs) is the icon in the upper right hand corner that basically shows recent additions to the store.

I can then go to the app store but the FiOS app is not one of the 45 apps listed under the Video heading...

I have not downloaded anything other than what was automatically done when I first activated networking and entered the Smart Hub, triggering the Samsung auto-updates.
DGGSLF
join:2007-04-14
Lynn, MA

DGGSLF

Rattler, you're right. Let me clarify a bit, using your graphic.

My "Samsung Apps" widget is similar to yours, except on my TV, the Apps widget/store is in the upper right corner of the screen and my "Yupp TV" advertisement banner shows up approximately where your Samsung Apps widget shows up. On my TV, it also changes every 5 -10 seconds and that is also where the FiOS TV adertisement shows up. Also, just like your player is showing on the graphic, each new advertisement, including the FiOS TV ad, says "press Enter for more info". Once you do that, it gives you the option to install but never does.

I also have a mini screen in the upper left corner that shows the current channel I'm viewing.
DGGSLF

DGGSLF

I saw where Samsung was displaying a newer version of their app store at CES. Has anyone with a 2012 TV (or Bluray player) been able to download the new app store or will it only be for 2013 models?

Rattler
Havertown, PA

Rattler

I sent a request to Samsung support, earlier this week. I included a link to the V* page that says the FiOS app was compatible with my Blu-Ray player (BD-E5900). I also asked if the app was not compatible, did they have a possible ETA for its availability. Here is the essential part of their response:
We researched and found that the FiOS TV app is not compatible with any of our Blu-Ray Disc players. There is not an estimated time of release set for this particular application at this time. Unfortunately, we are not able to view the provided link. However, we will most definitely forward this information along with the link to the appropriate department. Please check back with us periodically for the availability of the app by following the link provided below.

»www.samsung.com/us/appstore
It looks like V* and Samsung aren't communicating with one another.

I also downloaded new firmware and that made no difference in seeing the app in the Samsung app store.
DGGSLF
Lynn, MA

DGGSLF

Thanks for the reply. That is unfortunate as we keep getting conflicting information from Samsung and VZ.

I still can't get the app to work on my 2011 TV though VZ said it should work just fine. I have seen it working on my sister's 2012 model.

I wonder if the LG TV/Bluray players are seeing similar issues?
mikev
Premium Member
join:2002-05-04
Leesburg, VA
·Verizon FiOS
(Software) pfSense
Panasonic KX-TGP600

mikev

Premium Member

said by DGGSLF:

I wonder if the LG TV/Bluray players are seeing similar issues?

I have an LG BP620 Blu-Ray player and the Verizon app is downloaded and working just wonderfully on it.
Duckbacker
join:2005-06-16
Nesconset, NY

Duckbacker

I'll second that. It works great on my LG BP620.

Rattler
Havertown, PA

Rattler

said by Duckbacker:

I'll second that. It works great on my LG BP620.

Out of curiosity, do you go onto the LG app site, via the LG player, to get to the FiOS app? I searched LG's site from my PC and could not find any app listings.

I have the Samsung blu-ray in a room where I can't (conveniently) run coax and would seriously consider getting the LG player so that I could get some of the FiOS programming I'm subscribed to into that room (without having to cough up for another HD box and deal with running the coax). All I'd lose would be the Anynet+ link between the Samsung player and TV - no big deal.
mikev
Premium Member
join:2002-05-04
Leesburg, VA
·Verizon FiOS
(Software) pfSense
Panasonic KX-TGP600

mikev

Premium Member

said by Rattler:

Out of curiosity, do you go onto the LG app site, via the LG player, to get to the FiOS app? I searched LG's site from my PC and could not find any app listings.

I did to first download it to the player, but I've since added it to the bottom row on the main screen, so it's right there when I turn on the player.
RocklandFios
join:2008-07-24
Nyack, NY

RocklandFios to Rattler

to Rattler
I upgraded the software to version 1030 on my Samsung BD-D5300 bluray today and I was able to download and install the FIOS Tv app. I am now able to browse the guide, watch shows and access the VOD library.
DGGSLF
Lynn, MA

DGGSLF

I saw this update yesterday, so I checked my 2011 smart TV. Still does not offer me the FiOS TV app. Bummer :-(

»www.hdtvmagazine.com/new ··· home.php