spc
uniqs

Ken1943
join:2001-12-30
Brighton, CO

Ken1943 to Wolf29

to Wolf29

Re: [Qwest] DSL Modem with separate router

Modem only is not that easy to find. Best thing is to get a Centurylink branded modem/router. I have a M-1000 ( old) and wanted a spare. Went to Amazon and got a PK5000. Both were easy to change to RFC 1483 Transparent Bridging. In your router go to ppoe settings and put your user name/password. Reboot both and you will good to go. You have to check that whatever you buy, that it will handle your dsl speed.
I have 7mbs so not much trouble.
The only trouble I have had was a bad router. The D-Link wasn't sending user name/password. While I was on with tech support, changed to spare router and was good to go.

dslanywhere
@embarqhsd.net

dslanywhere

Anon

If you're in the Old Embarq territory your are DHCP. From your post it's showing " "ptd.net", which appears to be in PA which is the old Embarq area.

Put the modem in bridge and set your stand alone router to "obtain IP automatically". You should be good to go then.

Wolf29
@ptd.net

Wolf29 to Ken1943

Anon

to Ken1943
Yeah, I'm finding that out about just finding modems only. My other choice was the C1000A or the PK5001Z which my neighbors just got through CL and seems to be working well for them.
Wolf29

Wolf29 to dslanywhere

Anon

to dslanywhere
I'm actually in Northern NJ but my current provider is out of PA and the service our county. I used to have Embarq actually. I will try out the bridge option as suggested. I'll also keep the modem/router combo open as another option.

Thanks for the suggestions.

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
MVM
join:2001-10-13
North Las Vegas, NV

billaustin to Wolf29

MVM

to Wolf29
The C1000A is one of the newest modems in the CL line-up. It works with both VDSL and ADSL circuits. You can use it as a modem/router, or put it in bridge mode and use it with your router of choice. It is available at Best Buy in CenturyLink packaging for $99, or you can rent it from CL for $4.95/month.