share rss forum feed

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle
kudos:5

Music: Is there such a thing as this?

Ok, you're gonna bust my chops, but I am preparing a MP3 player for my GF overseas. She has a taste in music most of you will probably laugh about.

She likes stuff like ABBA, Air Supply, and The Carpenters.

I would like to find a site or engine that will give me a list of similar artists, like how Pandora works, but an actual list. Music Genome basically.

I like stuff such as Calexico and Radio Head, I am a former musician so my taste is pretty eclectic. But my taste is quite different from her's.

Also, she's a Filipina, if any of you out there are also and know of artists from that island nation, please tell me about them.
--
Join Teams Helix and Discovery. Rest in Peace, Leonard David Smith, my best friend, you are missed badly! Rest in peace, Pop, glad our last years were good. Please pray for Colin, he has ependymoma, a brain cancer, donate to a children's Hospital.

NotTheMama
What Would Earl Do?

join:2012-12-06

2 recommendations

Karen Carpenter had a great voice.

n1zuk
making really tiny tech things
Premium
join:2001-10-24
Malta
kudos:2
reply to signmeuptoo
Quick search came up with this = »www.spotiseek.com/?ref=logo

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle
Hmm, that WILL help, thanks!

disconnected

@snet.net
reply to signmeuptoo
Most Filipinas like Lea Salonga. That's been my experience.
Expand your moderator at work

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle

1 edit

Re: Music: Is there such a thing as this?

He'd have to fight with me before he could get to her! But seriously, I would say that is accurate, the 80's, she was born during the Summer of Love. So right about the mid 80's she was a teen, and we all know the music we bond strongest with is the music of our teen years.

And, like all good Pinoys, she loves karaoke, and sometimes even sings to me (I love that).

@disconnected: I will check on Salonga, thanks for the tip! She must sing songs about being a long suffering woman tied to an unfaithful husband...

Ok, so listening to Salonga right now, and read the wiki about Miss Saigon. No wonder they like her! In fact, I'm not like Chris, I won't take a wife in the USA, I am devoted to my girl.
--
Join Teams Helix and Discovery. Rest in Peace, Leonard David Smith, my best friend, you are missed badly! Rest in peace, Pop, glad our last years were good. Please pray for Colin, he has ependymoma, a brain cancer, donate to a children's Hospital.

Darkfairy
Aeolus, your daughter flies.
Premium
join:2003-03-17
Tampa, FL
reply to signmeuptoo
Up Dharma Down are pretty cool. They sing in English.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0sUW0BM-2g

--
Fairy Blessings,
Stefanie

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle
reply to signmeuptoo
I'm doing a virus clean, I will check that out when I can boot out of safe mode. I got nailed by ilivid... I will be gone for the day and night, so I'll check them out later, but I will check them out. Any other suggestions, please, I am interested. I ordered a 4 gig microSD, and the player takes it and already has 4 gigs, so I want to fill it up for her. It's my sister's old player, a Sandisk clip+ indigo (not my girl's favorite color, but she does think it looks cool). My favorite color is a LASER wavelength.

In any event, Salonga is pretty cool, listened to her on Spotify. She has a terrific voice, but she isn't as pretty as some Filipina actresses (Vietnamese and Filipino women are some of the most beautiful in the world, IMHO, but I also find many African American and Hispanic women lovely too).

Pinoys LOVE the movies and theater and performance art and music. Every Pinoy I know has an id that wants to be a famous artist!
--

HappyFrappy

join:2000-10-04
North
reply to signmeuptoo
signmeuptoo, why don't you use a sandbox solution to avoid browser hijacks/trojans? Heck, even a virtual machine or a dedicated Linux box for risky browsing habits. Personally I kept a spare G4 era Mac to run a PPC Linux distro... since the Playstation 3 had "other OS" killed there is a smaller PPC user base, security by obscurity can be useful like OS/2 Warp

Anyways I'd highly recommend "hypem.com -aka The Hype Machine" for searching musician/band names they don't have iLivid or any of those toxic ads and if you use flashgot you can save the streamed mp3s after they've loaded/played. I've found some tracks/covers of lesser known musicians or bands on that site, they mainly pull mp3 data from RSS feeds(musicians themselves, labels, music blogs, etc).