uniqs

newview
Ex .. Ex .. Exactly
Premium Member
join:2001-10-01
Parsonsburg, MD

newview

Premium Member

[Spam] Amazon says they didn't send this ...

To begin with, I am completely opted OUT of any and all Amazon.com spam and always have been. Then ... on Christmas Day I got this little turd in my inbox addressed to an email address created JUST for Amazon.com & NEVER used anywhere else, ever ...

From - Wed Dec 26 09:09:38 2012
X-Account-Key: account3
X-UIDL: UID1157-1306622747
X-Mozilla-Status: 0003
X-Mozilla-Status2: 00000000
X-Mozilla-Keys:
Return-path:
Envelope-to:
Delivery-date: Tue, 25 Dec 2012 02:39:45 -0600
Received: from a194-35.smtp-out.amazonses.com ([199.255.194.35]:43754)
by gator549.hostgator.com with esmtp (Exim 4.80)
(envelope-from )
id 1TnQ36-0005S2-Ae
for [email_address_created_JUST_for_Amazon]; Tue, 25 Dec 2012 02:39:44 -0600
DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; q=dns/txt; c=relaxed/simple; t=1356424783;
s=2uvkuueiefyaargm6tgkndh3xdf5ejpl; d=amazon.com;
h=Date:From:To:Message-ID:Subject:MIME-Version:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding;
bh=TauIOKTfn44X2rKzAIL2tqkhi78u04XyunOEE7AffCE=;
b=r+JvKr4xYCDvKqLarIA7JFhyqHLpMNDPiJV9kNpeHUgvDxPgO0zziGWSLBjAAMUn
wvxOR3f88HJLuSVi1O3ZHT2W21xEiZ+RQgQ8Yu/ll19fZvZttXWSk1qKDEnqooz+j0N
FshYLRy5yW97oLUb+frgLxPr35VgfG1gNd7eH+Fw=
Date: Tue, 25 Dec 2012 08:39:43 +0000
To: [email_address_created_JUST_for_Amazon]
Message-ID:
Subject: Shop Digital Deals Week at Amazon Instant Video
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
Bounces-to: 2012122508394123bf43510a4e465c9214ade02caa1997-C2TQGJEZ38OPCE@bounces.amazon.com
X-AMAZON-MAIL-RELAY-TYPE: subscription
X-AMAZON-RTE-VERSION: 2.0
X-SES-Outgoing: 199.255.194.35
X-Spam-Status: No, score=-7.5
X-Spam-Score: -74
X-Spam-Bar: -------
X-Spam-Flag: NO

----- snip endless spammy advertisement -----

Please note that this message was sent to the following e-mail address: [email_address_created_JUST_for_Amazon]

I contacted Amazon and asked them, not too politely, why I was getting this crap in my inbox when I have been opted out of their marketing emails since like FOREVER.

They replied ...
quote:
The e-mail you received wasn't from Amazon.com. We recommend that you delete the e-mail. For your protection, do not respond to it, and do not open any attachments or click any links it contains.
They went on to give me warnings about phishing emails and advised me to change my password ... yada, yada, yada.

I say bullshit ... this email went thru Amazon's mail servers and was initiated BY Amazon or some company they SOLD, RENTED or SHARED my email address with, against my preferences.

I also sent the SAME not-too-polite inquiry as a REPLY to the original "marketing" message ... and got the following back in reply:
quote:
Thank you for writing to Audible.

Your email has reached an unmonitored email address, however please visit us at »www.audible.co.uk

Thanks again
Customer Care Team
Audible.co.uk ... WTF?!? I have never, ever been to that web site in my entire life ... why the hell would I? I live in the good, ole USofA.

Anyway, I went to »www.audible.co.uk (first time EVER) and saw that they were an Amazon company ... ahh HA! I thought ... the plot thickens. I saw where you could sign-in with your Amazon.com credentials, so I did ... and then went immediately to the preferences section of my so-called "account" with them ... and lo & behold, I was subscribed to their "newsletter". Needless to say I was pissed.

Obviously Amazon "shared" my email address with audible.co.uk or some such ... and is now denying it. I hammered out a reply to the customer service email I had previously received that denied that it came from Amazon, and not-so-politely told them of my discovery that my email address, created for and used exclusively ONLY on Amazon.com ... was now in the hands of their affiliate company audible.co.uk ... and WHY IN THE HELL are you sharing my email address?

They replied:
quote:
I hope that I can clear up any misunderstanding. Amazon.com is not in the business of selling customer information. We never have been.

Our current privacy notice (»www.amazon.com/privacy-policy/) specifies that we *will not* disclose customer information to third parties except in certain limited circumstances, one of which is the unlikely possibility that a part of our business is acquired by or merged with another company.

Furthermore, our privacy notice makes clear that we only share information with affiliated companies if a customer chooses to enter into a transaction with one of these companies.
I say Amazon are damn liars, since I have never visited that site, never had reason to visit that site, would never have signed up for their crap emails EVER and that they, Amazon, shared my email address with audible.co.uk, who then added me to their email spam list.

What say you all?

tmpchaos
Requiescat in pace
Numquam oblitus
join:2000-04-28
Hoboken, NJ

tmpchaos

Numquam oblitus

Click for full size
All of the above companies are owned by Amazon- so it isn't improper for them to share information. Not the best of ethics, perhaps, but they are not third parties.

nwrickert
Mod
join:2004-09-04
Geneva, IL

nwrickert to newview

Mod

to newview
said by newview:

They replied ...

quote:
The e-mail you received wasn't from Amazon.com. We recommend that you delete the e-mail. For your protection, do not respond to it, and do not open any attachments or click any links it contains.

Amazon hired some dumb-as-rocks customer service reps, and that was who you contacted.

That happens altogether too often.

I don't get marketing mail from Amazon. I opted out long ago. It is possible that it takes a while for their databases to be updated after your opting out. There were possibly some marketing messages in preparation.

carpetshark3
Premium Member
join:2004-02-12
Idledale, CO

carpetshark3

Premium Member

I bought a Nook from B&N. I read the TOS and everything else, and while you could opt out of spam from B&N itself, there were 2 smaller affiliates that you couldn't opt out from listed right on the opt out page. B&N had no control over them.