Premium,Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 edit

Sleeping Dogs

It's 66% off so it's like $15. I'll give it a shot.

Initial impressions - this is a GTA clone PS 3 port. Meaning it looks shitty.

Graphics are extreme blurred from 2008 at high speeds. However rain reflection is the best I've seen. D+.
Controls are worse than assassins creed. F-
Camera is an absolute Double F-. Horrible in every way imaginable.
Story is kind of funny. However it alternates every other word in Cantonese and English. There are subtitles. C-
Interface is a D.
World interaction is a F. You need to be at the exact pixel to interact with world objects.
Tutorial is bad.

There are a lot of technical issues too - game cannot do 60hz but it can do 59 or 120hz it can do 119. Solution is deal with it.

Overall, I give it a D. It's $15 what was I expecting?
--
"If something about the human body disgusts you, complain to the manufacturer" - Lenny Bruce
What this country needs is a good five dollar plasma weapon.

diablo1892
R.I.P. Donald Lee Wise

join:2011-04-21
Friendly, WV
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·HughesNet Satell..
That's why i don't buy it or even touch it for that matter.. After watching some youtube videos and reeding up on it, i think i will save my money and wait for it to drop even further. Still a bit of an amazing GTA clone on the plus side.

What can you expect from GTA games? The glitches are deffinately visible in games like this type.

Mike
Premium,Mod
Pittsburgh, PA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
The ability to interface with your character and move it along the world and not have the camera clip into a building every 2 seconds.

I read 8.5 to 9 reviews from Googling it. The game is shitty. Liars.
--
"If something about the human body disgusts you, complain to the manufacturer" - Lenny Bruce

Ghastlyone
Premium
join:2009-01-07
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5
reply to Mike
said by Mike:

Overall, I give it a D. It's $15 what was I expecting?

It's $16.99, so you actually got ripped off an additional 2 dollars that you didn't realize.

Cthen

join:2004-08-01
Detroit, MI
Reviews:
·Verizon Wireless..
reply to Mike
Even at that cheap price, you got ripped. Not as much as me who bought it on it's release day. With all the cinema which cannot be skipped, I think I actually got to play 30 minutes out of 3 hours of that crap.

After that, I never bothered playing it again.
--
"I like to refer to myself as an Adult Film Efficienato." - Stuart Bondek

Mike
Premium,Mod
Pittsburgh, PA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
I'm upgrading it to a D+.

After you get used to the shitty parts and ignore them, there are some unique features here.

RADIO STATIONS ACTUALLY TELL YOU THE SONG. (once you unlock radio controls lol). You can also change the volume of the song quickly.

Accurately - cars in China suck. Use a motorbike.. even though they have a turning radius of an aircraft carrier.

Melee combat is pretty advanced for a GTA clone. It's like Arkham City meet Minecraft made by heroin addicts.

It's very pretty at night, assuming you're in a lighted district, it's raining, and you're standing still. If you move, the camera goes full retard + LSD trip mode + shaky cam.
--

Goggalor
Psychonaut
Premium
join:2009-06-09
Your Mind!
kudos:2
Mike, are you playing with keyboard/mouse or with a controller? Most people that have played it on the PC, said the same about the controls until they tried it with a gamepad.

I am one of those that would give the game a 8.5 or 9, though, I played it on 360 (I also paid full price). Most of your negatives are your opinion:

•Subtitles do not bother me one bit (I play with subtitles on in every game I play, just in case I did not hear a line properly or some other noise(s) drowns out the speaker) and makes the game feel more authentic.
•The controls, again from what I have read for PC, are much better on a gamepad.
•Story is not the greatest (it is good, though!), but the voice acting is well done and makes up for some of it.
•I will agree on the interface, as digging around in some of those menus/changing options (such as clothing) were annoying.
•World interaction down to the exact pixel? *shakes head*
•The tutorial is a tutorial. It explained the basic controls and was effective at it.

Mike, maybe just try enjoying a game instead of critiquing every aspect you see to the point of unplayability? You did the same with Metro 2033, which is another great game.
--
From Psychonauts -
Lungfish Civilian: (describing Goggalor) He's impervious to bullets! ... and love!
--

Ghastlyone
Premium
join:2009-01-07
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5
reply to Mike
Games like this one or GTA, etc. I use a wireless 360 controller.

FPS, MMOs, etc. I use KB/Mouse. I remember trying Batman Arkham City and GTA4 with KB/Mouse and it just felt weird.

That's why a 360 controller for Windows is a great investment.

Mike
Premium,Mod
Pittsburgh, PA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Goggalor
Metro 2033 was so bad I considered converting to Amish. It ruined electricity for about a week and a half for me.

Maybe I should get a 360 controller. I can't do shooters without the precision of a mouse.

The last good game I played was Saints Row 3. I give it a 9/10.

Assassins Creed camera fights you too. Horrible PC controls.
--

Goggalor
Psychonaut
Premium
Your Mind!
said by Mike:

Metro 2033 was so bad I considered converting to Amish. It ruined electricity for about a week and a half for me.

Maybe I should get a 360 controller. I can't do shooters without the precision of a mouse.

The last good game I played was Saints Row 3. I give it a 9/10.

Assassins Creed camera fights you too. Horrible PC controls.

You give SR3 a 9/10, but you give a D- (a 6.0-7.3/10, depending on the part of the country you're in) to Sleeping Dogs?

And, again, Metro's starting guns and ammo are meant to be junky as they're all homemade, instead of precision-tooled by machines like current military hardware.
--
From Psychonauts -
Lungfish Civilian: (describing Goggalor) He's impervious to bullets! ... and love!
--

Mike
Premium,Mod
Pittsburgh, PA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
Poor camera, clunky controls, poor interaction with the world. That will pretty much ruin any game.

Fix the camera, fix the controls, fix the world interaction.

It's a B+ game then.
--

Goggalor
Psychonaut
Premium
Your Mind!
said by Mike:

Poor camera, clunky controls, poor interaction with the world. That will pretty much ruin any game.

Fix the camera, fix the controls, fix the world interaction.

It's a B+ game then.

Controller, controller, and controller.
--
From Psychonauts -
--