uniqs
share rss forum feed

Rob_
Premium
join:2008-07-16
Mary Esther, FL
kudos:1

Samsung galaxy S3 (boost)

How do I set this to let the phone light up upon receiving a new text message? Also, the screen goes dark in 10 seconds and it's set for 2 minutes, is that in another settings? I want it to stay lit for that amount of time

Thanks, Rob

dib22

join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO

1 edit

A little digging around that I did mentions others seeing this, but no real solution.

Does it act the same with a case on and with the case off?

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL
reply to Rob_

Notifications are independent of the sleep settings.

And never seen a device were that could be set to more than the default few seconds.

Expecting something check the phone now and then. Many you don't even have to wake it up... just hit the home or power button briefly and any notifications should be listed on the sleep screen for a few seconds. (assuming you have allowed them)
--

Rob_
Premium
join:2008-07-16
Mary Esther, FL

What's odd is, I watched a YouTube video and it still DIMMED!! What's the point? Still a nice phone but..

Also, are the two buttons on the left hand side notification buttons?

-Rklb

Mister_E

join:2004-04-02
Etobicoke, ON
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico

The screen timeout should work - my wife's S3 is set to 2 minutes and it works perfectly.

As for text message notifications - the S3 does have an LED that can be configured to notify you of different events. Otherwise, there are apps that can flash the entire display (No LED, Missed Call Reminder).

For the S3 screen dimming - check your Power Saving options - there's an option in there for Screen Dimming - disable it and test.

Also, check your screen brightness settings - if set to Auto it will dimm/brighten dependent upon the lighting in the environment (i.e. dark rooms=low brightness / bright outdoors=max brightness).

lordpuffer
RIP lil
Premium
join:2004-09-19
Rio Rancho, NM
kudos:2
Reviews:
·CableOne
reply to Rob_

When I had the Galaxy S2, and currently with my Galaxy Nexus, there are many times that the notification light does not come on with a message. I have concluded that it must be some glich in the Android OS.

However, I have been wrong before.

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL
reply to Rob_

said by Rob_:

What's odd is, I watched a YouTube video and it still DIMMED!! What's the point? Still a nice phone but..

-Rklb

Now that shouldn't happen, if the sleep is set to a long period like 30 min.

But again notification illumination is an unsetable preset few seconds for if you are semi paying attentionn a noisy place you might not hear the tones or they are turned off..
--

RokHed

join:2000-09-09
Pennsville, NJ
reply to Rob_

Is powersaver on? that may dim your screen as well.