join:2004-07-18
Houma, LA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Vonage
·Comcast
·Comcast Digital ..

[Signals] Docsis 3 Upgrade And Channel weirdness?

For months, my Arris 502G had Docsis 2.0 on the upload. It was solid. Now, after 5 years, I finally got upgraded to Docsis 3 and an Arris 722G.

I have DS bonding with all 4 channels, but only 1 US channel that reads Docsis 1.x. Why would it be 2.0 on my old modem, but 1.x on the new one?

Also, how soon after the upgrade, did ya'll see US channel bonding?

n_w95482
Premium
join:2005-08-03
Ukiah, CA

Can you post a screenshot of it? Some modems list other info, like symbol rate, channel width, modulation, etc.

As for my area, we got upstream bonding (one 64 QAM, one 16) a few weeks after downstream, with an additional four downstream channels 5-6 months after that. Since then, it hasn't changed.
--
KI6RIT

Chris 313
Come get some
Premium
Houma, LA
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Vonage
·Comcast
·Comcast Digital ..

Click for full size
ARRIS 722G Signals
said by n_w95482:

Can you post a screenshot of it? Some modems list other info, like symbol rate, channel width, modulation, etc.

As for my area, we got upstream bonding (one 64 QAM, one 16) a few weeks after downstream, with an additional four downstream channels 5-6 months after that. Since then, it hasn't changed.

There you go. And ok. I guess I'll just sit back and wait. And I guess you have an 8/4 modem? If memory serves, the Arris 722G is a 4/4 modem.

I still wanna strangle that "tech" who pawned this modem off on me after the struggle. I should've just had them mail me one like they originally wanted to do. Still, if it works and is capable of 120+ before a switch, why bother worrying about it, eh?

EG
The wings of love
Premium
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ
kudos:10
reply to Chris 313

The new modem has probably locked on to a legacy DOCSIS 1.x channel. This may not be a permanent situation. These legacy channel types still exist for compatibility with older modems. Have you tried powercycling and or resetting it to all defaults to see if the channel changes ?

If no joy, Comcast Steve can change it for you but things are dynamic and may change again.

Chris 313
Come get some
Premium
Houma, LA
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Vonage
·Comcast
·Comcast Digital ..

said by EG:

The new modem has probably locked on to a legacy DOCSIS 1.x channel. This may not be a permanent situation. These legacy channel types still exist for compatibility with older modems. Have you tried powercycling and or resetting it to all defaults to see if the channel changes ?

Yeah, I get that. If I hadn't noticed things, I'd still have the 502G I'd been rocking for 4 1/2 years. And yes, I have. It comes back to 1.x each time so far.

Shall I give it a month and see what happens?

EG
The wings of love
Premium
Union, NJ

Try CCSteve. Seems that in an upgraded to DOCSIS 3 area you should at least be locked on to 64QAM 5.120 Msym/sec ATDMA channel type.

Chris 313
Come get some
Premium
Houma, LA
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Vonage
·Comcast
·Comcast Digital ..

said by EG:

Try CCSteve. Seems that in an upgraded to DOCSIS 3 area you should at least be locked on to 64QAM 5.120 Msym/sec ATDMA channel type.

That's what I thought as well. I think I asked him about that and he must've missed my Q, because it wasn't answered.

I'll try it again and see. Thanks, ya'll

EG
The wings of love
Premium
Union, NJ

Good luck with it Chris !

n_w95482
Premium
join:2005-08-03
Ukiah, CA
reply to Chris 313

Hmm, strange that it would do that. Definitely poke Steve and see what he has to say.

As for my modem, I'm currently using a Motorola SB6120 due to being on business class. If they end up approving a regular 8/4 modem, I'll look into getting one. It rotates around the available channels whenever it reboots. Currently it's using 1/3/5/6. I know of two people here with Zoom 5341J's that show 8 down, 2 up ( RR Conductor See Profile being one of them).

Have you looked into getting your own modem? With the current rental fee, a Cisco DPC3008 or Zoom 5341J would pay for itself in under a year.
--
KI6RIT

Chris 313
Come get some
Premium
Houma, LA
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Vonage
·Comcast
·Comcast Digital ..

1 edit

said by n_w95482:

Hmm, strange that it would do that. Definitely poke Steve and see what he has to say.

As for my modem, I'm currently using a Motorola SB6120 due to being on business class. If they end up approving a regular 8/4 modem, I'll look into getting one. It rotates around the available channels whenever it reboots. Currently it's using 1/3/5/6. I know of two people here with Zoom 5341J's that show 8 down, 2 up ( RR Conductor See Profile being one of them).

Have you looked into getting your own modem? With the current rental fee, a Cisco DPC3008 or Zoom 5341J would pay for itself in under a year.

I will. Biz Class, eh? And yes, I can get about the channels. Mine does 55.53.54,56 in that order. Wacky, eh?

And yes, I have looked into get my own, but it's useless. I have Comcast phone and until they get the Amazon program for EMTAs up and going, I can't buy one. And if I won't stay with Comcast phone in the future, I won't spend 150 on an EMTA.

It bugged me a great deal that I was paying top shelf, modern prices for equipment I had from 2004-2008, to 12/21/12, that wasn't worth but the 3 dollars they originally charged a month.

Even though the EMTA I have now is good for another 2 or so upgrades, I'm still a bit irked that Comcast is sending out Gateways that do 8/4 or better and I was given a used device that does only 4/4.