Coming soon to a cup near you..
Premium
join:2005-01-16
WA, USA
kudos:4

4 recommendations

Rare color photos from 1930s-40s

quote:
These vivid color photos from the Great Depression and World War II capture an era generally seen only in black-and-white. Photographers working for the United States Farm Security Administration (FSA) and later the Office of War Information (OWI) created the images between 1939 and 1944.
(Library of Congress Flickr pilot project)

»www.flickr.com/photos/library_of···1370361/

A pretty amazing step back in time. I think of all, just the normal everyday life of the era depicted there is the most interesting.
--

My 9/11 Tribute..online since 9/14/01
Need an Avatar? Check out Wafen's Avatar Pages

Dustyn
Premium
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
kudos:11
It's quite refreshing to see that era in colour.

EGeezer
zichrona livracha
Premium
join:2002-08-04
Midwest
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Callcentric

2 edits

3 recommendations

reply to caffeinator
Thanks for the link!

The LOC Flickr account is a great idea! From WWI to Baseball to Jazz, and a "Photographer in the Picture" set...
»www.flickr.com/photos/library_of_congress/

Another wonderful find is this photo by Dorothea Lange, titled; Resettled farm child from Taos Junction to Bosque Farms project. New Mexico. Photograph for the Farm Security Administration, December 1935.

( also see »www.historyplace.com/unitedstate···dex.html )

I'd venture that Lange was to photographic documentary as Alan Lomax was to recording and documenting folk music.
--
Buckle Up. It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car.

DownTheShore
RIP tmpchaos
Premium
join:2003-12-02
Beautiful NJ
kudos:14
reply to caffeinator
What strikes me about the images is how much the town images resemble my memories of my town in the early 1960's; how little things had changed up until that point in time.

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL
kudos:1

1 edit
reply to caffeinator
said by caffeinator:

These vivid color photos

Well that's the thing not saying it isn't genuine but really not a=all that vibrant, and sort of the pastel character of colorization. Particularly would seem the warning yellow in that arm band should be much more vibrant blaring if a true image vs just matching the over all image saturation.

But on a side note, still color well preceded single process (not Technicolor) motion picture film by several years. (mainly for speed reasons). Original Kodachrome MPic film was ASA 25 (maybe slower) pretty much limiting it to daylight or BLAZING artificial light at even silent 16 fps.

And yes still rare.
--

Stacy
FotoDogue
Premium
join:2001-11-02
New York, NY

1 recommendation

said by caffeinator:

These vivid color photos

said by Hayward:

Well that's the thing not saying it isn't genuine but really not a=all that vibrant, and sort of the pastel character of colorization. Particularly would seem the warning yellow in that arm band should be much more vibrant blaring if a true image vs just matching the over all image saturation.

But on a side note, still color well preceded single process (not Technicolor) motion picture film by several years. (mainly for speed reasons). Original Kodachrome MPic film was ASA 25 (maybe slower) pretty much limiting it to daylight or BLAZING artificial light at even silent 16 fps.

And yes still rare.

This isn't from the original chrome. Notches on the edge indicate this scan is from Kodak Separation Negative 4131, Type 1 sheet film.
»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Notch_code

caffeinator
Coming soon to a cup near you..
Premium
join:2005-01-16
WA, USA

2 recommendations

reply to caffeinator
Well, IDK why it seems as it's my quote when I'm quoting the LOC's text. But, here is their information on the photos:

»www.loc.gov/pictures/collection/···und.html

I swear, you guys will pick anything apart. Just enjoy the pretty things.
--

My 9/11 Tribute..online since 9/14/01
Need an Avatar? Check out Wafen's Avatar Pages

Jodokast96
Stupid people really piss me off.
Premium
join:2005-11-23
Erial, NJ
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL

1 recommendation

reply to caffeinator
Still my favorite »www.shorpy.com/Large_Format_Kodachromes

Found this one very interesting »www.shorpy.com/node/14110. This was originally done in 1947 in B&W, but was only recently colorized this year. Both are fantastic!

DeathK
Premium
join:2002-06-16
Cincinnati, OH
reply to caffeinator
Great collection of images!

However it further cements why I hate Flickr. You have to go through too many button clicks just to view the original size image. They also don't give you an option to view all the images in the slideshow in original size. You have to click on "View all sizes" for each one and it just takes you out of the slideshow experience.
--
Photos By Greg Strong

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR

3 edits
Click for full size
These items are actually larger than original per option
Not sure of your monitor size but if I fullscreen the browser on my 1080x1920 monitor and then start the slideshow, I'm pretty sure I'm getting original size (and possibly larger)...

Edit to add screenshot; also caption should read: These items are actually larger than original per option
--
♬ Dragon of good fortune struggles with the trickster Fox ♬

DeathK
Premium
join:2002-06-16
Cincinnati, OH
reply to caffeinator
All the images in that collection are 1024 pixels on the long side at original size. What's actually shown to you by default on each images' own page or in the slideshow are all 640 pixels on the long side. I don't see anyway to get around this as they give you no option to view the slideshow in original image size.

My monitor is a 42" LCD with a 1920x1080 resolution. That's not the issue though.

[edit] Regarding your example image, I had already tried that option in the past thinking it might work. All it does is scale the smaller 640 pixel image to fill the screen. It doesn't show you the original size image with no scaling.
--
Photos By Greg Strong

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
Ah, I see. Well shoot.