share rss forum feed

sonofjay
Mission Accomplished - Bush May 1, 2003
Premium,MVM
join:2001-05-14
Malden, MA
kudos:1

[TV] Tripleplay, Vacation Hold questions for a relative

Hi, doing some research and help for a senior relatives with a place in Canada who are looking at the $99 triple play 3-year agreement with Rogers. Found answers to many questions right on rogers.com but had a few more. Knowing how answers from the CSRs differ all the time I thought I would ask her to get the real deal. Thanks for help!

Questions:

1) Seasonal Disconnect/Vacation Hold/Temp Ticket - how does this work when under a 3yr triple play agreement? Assume contact gets put on hold and extended for the months while on vacation?

2) Vacation Hold - How does phone work while account is on hold? Do incoming calls receive number not in service message? Or do calls get forwarded to another number or voicemail?

3) Vacation Hold - How does email work while account is on hold? Does email still work? Does the rogers.yahoo.com homepage/portal still work?

4) Vacation Hold - Cost of vacation hold is $3.95/month. Is this per service ($3.95 x 3 = $11.85) or per account ($3.95 for all)

5) Equipment - For the $99 tripleplay agreement, 1 HDPVR and 1 HD Receiver are included. Is it possible to swap the HD receiver for another HDPVR (for an additional fee)

Glad DSLR has this forum here. Thanks! -S
--
Mission Accomplished

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..

With a 3 year contract you'll get good leverage from Rogers. You'll need to talk to someone in retentions though, likely there supervisor.

Not sure how vacation holds work, my ex did one on her Cogeco (they can't get Rogers) and it said number was not currently in service.

As for email, why not set up hotmail or gmail and not worry about losing everything?

As for home phone, you might be better off going with a VoIP..which technically Rogers is, but you can get them pretty cheap.

As for PVR, you could buy one, the Shopping Channel has one for $179, refurbished unit, 2 year warranty from Rogers.

See if you can get VIP cable for 2 years at 70% off and get the least expensive Internet your parents need. I pay $17 for VIP cable, you might be able to get the same deal. BTW, if you do get a discount cable package, the discount applies to hardware too.
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

sonofjay
Mission Accomplished - Bush May 1, 2003
Premium,MVM
join:2001-05-14
Malden, MA

Thank you very much for the info. We called Rogers and were told that the seasonal disconnect is $3.95 per service. The season disconnect extends the contract for the number of months disconnected (so if they traveled for 5 months then the agreement is extended 5 months).

Also, when on seasonal disconnect, any incoming phone calls will receive an number of out service message when calling (according to CSR).

The option you suggested of going with a double play (phone/tv) and a 3rd party Voip provider for phone is an option we are going to look into now. Who do you recommend for non-technical folks? I had Vonage in the US for 6 years and found it to be reliable, but expense for Voip. Again, easy to use and reliable is the most important factor.

Right now, given that they can seasonally disconnect they are leaning towards the $99 triple play but if makes sense from a technology and $$ perspective then it could be the way to go.

Thanks again.
--
Mission Accomplished

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..

Oddly you could use magicjack since its $40 a year, Canadian number. That's the one that doesn't need a computer. freephoneline.ca is $4.95 per month, that's to pay for 911 and system access. Neither would require much configuration. If they don't call out a lot, Vonage does have a $8 plan which is unlimited incoming, and I think 5 cents per minute outgoing.

Where about are they headed?
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein