how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Iceman0803

join:2012-05-18
Glendale, AZ

Cox Ultimate Tier Speed Increase

Called in to Cox customer service the other day, and through the course of my conversation with the rep she mentioned that the ultimate tier would be getting a speed increase in Jan. or Feb. Is there any truth to this and if so what will the speed be increased to?

Cynagen

join:2010-02-02
Phoenix, AZ

If the speed increase is the same as the rest of the country (which is usually 100% of the time, one of the many reasons I love Cox,) then the speed increase will be from 50/5 to 100/20.

Iceman0803

Glendale, AZ

Nice! Thanks for the reply!

emk

join:2010-03-12
San Diego, CA
reply to Cynagen

Is this true? If it is then i cannot wait!

Iceman0803

Glendale, AZ

said by emk:

Is this true? If it is then i cannot wait!

That's what I was told by a Cox CS rep. But, who knows how accurate their info is or which markets it applies to.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:4
reply to Cynagen

said by Cynagen:

If the speed increase is the same as the rest of the country (which is usually 100% of the time, one of the many reasons I love Cox,) then the speed increase will be from 50/5 to 100/20.

highly unlikely the upload is going to be 20mb in a centurystink area like arizona.
--
Despises any post with strings.

Iceman0803

Glendale, AZ

dvd536 See Profile
highly unlikely the upload is going to be 20mb in a centurystink area like arizona.

How does that factor in to whether or not Cox will raise their upload speeds? Just curious.

hoozdapimp

join:2003-02-12
San Diego, CA

Because Cox usually only does as much as they need to in order to stay competitive in any given area.

Iceman0803

Glendale, AZ

said by hoozdapimp:

Because Cox usually only does as much as they need to in order to stay competitive in any given area.

I remember a CL rep hinting that they were going to be offering ~100/20Mb tier sometime this year in my area. Who knows how accurate the info is but, if true, it gives Cox enough of a reason to say competitive IMO. It's all speculation at this point though.

bryant313

join:2011-05-24
Las Vegas, NV

while various cox markets have different levels of competition i still believe that the upgrades will be in markets that have more than 4 bonded downstream channels and a minimum on two bonded upstream channels

while i do realize the competition drives the speed i still think that they will offer higher upload and download speeds regardless of competition due to the fact that the other major cable isp's have upgraded their speed tiers and it would be detrimental to cox if they did not upgrade their higher speed tiers

Iceman0803

Glendale, AZ

said by bryant313:

while various cox markets have different levels of competition i still believe that the upgrades will be in markets that have more than 4 bonded downstream channels and a minimum on two bonded upstream channels

while i do realize the competition drives the speed i still think that they will offer higher upload and download speeds regardless of competition due to the fact that the other major cable isp's have upgraded their speed tiers and it would be detrimental to cox if they did not upgrade their higher speed tiers

If your theory holds true that would mean that my area will see a speed upgrade. I'm currently bonded on 6 channels down and 3 up. Also, I do agree with you that they will upgrade regardless of any competition. It just wouldn't make any sense IMO for them to NOT do it.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS

Everyone will eventually see it. Tiers are very standardized. My market has very stiff competition from both U-Verse and FiOS and while we were the first market to get HSI, we're always one of the last to get speed upgrades. So I don't subscribe the the competitive markets get it first theory otherwise the market I'm in would get everything first.

Chtucson

join:2001-01-13
Tucson, AZ
reply to Iceman0803

Any Chance We get Premier increase to 37m/6 from 25/5 seems 60 is already pricey for service I cant see paying 100 a month for ultimate I'm in Tucson and speeds need increase bad cant do much with 25m line anymore.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
Phoenix, AZ
reply to Iceman0803

said by Iceman0803:

said by hoozdapimp:

I remember a CL rep hinting that they were going to be offering ~100/20Mb tier sometime this year in my area. Who knows how accurate the info is but, if true, it gives Cox enough of a reason to say competitive IMO. It's all speculation at this point though.

code for "select areas" aka new developments.
your house 5 years old or older? don't hold your breath waiting!
--

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
Phoenix, AZ
reply to Chtucson

ultimate is simply a rip-off!
yearly *downstream increases come because the provider knows they go largely unused.

upstream boosts rarely come because upstream can always be utilized.

* when was the last time a site gave you even 10mbps down?
--

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170
kudos:2

I use my 50Mb service all the time and wish I had more. Upload it's that big of deal as 5Mb is good enough for me to sling HD. Don't want it, don't buy it.

Iceman0803

Glendale, AZ

2 edits
reply to dvd536

Steam gives me 50 to 55Mb on average (when downloading content) not to mention there have been times where I've had multiple users streaming various types of media (at the same time), which I know will use well over 10Mb depending on the circumstances. I also have multiple Directv DVR's that are connected to the internet (for VOD content if I remember correctly). So, yes, while it's unlikely that anyone will SUSTAIN a 10Mb connection for an extended period, it's absolutely possible to max and/or exceed 10Mb. In short, my 60Mb connection (65 w/ powerboost) serves me well

EDIT: skeechan makes a good point about streaming HD content as well. The higher the quality the more bandwidth you need to stream reliably. Ah, the digital age...

nickphx

join:2009-10-29
Phoenix, AZ
reply to dvd536

Whenever I download I usually pull 60mbps+.. If the site I'm downloading from has a crappy route, I run the download from a colo in phoenix, then I grab it from there. D:

rainabba
Premium
join:2009-07-01
Chandler, AZ
reply to dvd536

What's the point of your post? It's blatantly wrong and sounds whiny. Myself and many others here regularly saturate the 60Mb that Ultimate provides (I have 2 such connections actually) and I'm sure there are occasions where I'll use 100Mb (though maybe not often, it will be much appreciated when it's there). 6Mb up is just about right too and anything more will be like the jump from 50 to 100 down for me; desert

nickphx

Phoenix, AZ

I was looking to get a second connection , did you have to create a 'roommate' account with cox?

nickphx

Phoenix, AZ
reply to Iceman0803

That's if your address is already capable of their max offering of 40mbps down.. They're just rolling out bonded vdsl2 , you get an additional copper line and a new modem with two rj11 ports.