spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

kimmygibbler

join:2012-08-10

Gen4 and rain fade?

I tried installing a new HT1000 modem at a site with an SQF of 108 peaked. But OVT would not pass so I could never activate the terminal. The EsNo values were way under target, but again the SQF was 108, and tried another radio unit. I know the 9000 was very subject to rain fade, but does anyone know if the Gen 4 system is degraded much by heavy rain and/or rainclouds?

grohgreg
Dunno. Ask The Chief

join:2001-07-05
Dawson Springs, KY

Same freq range, same transmitter output, same atmospheric vulnerability. That said, pretty sure the Gen4 system employs a larger rain fade margin. So when the connection drops, it's more likely to be the inroute that breaks lock first.

//greg//

PCsongBird

join:2006-12-07
Hawthorne, FL
reply to kimmygibbler

Greg is right, the 1000 has a greater resistance to rain fade than our 9000 did, and this is coming from Florida, where we get to test this a lot!

Kaosfury

join:2011-06-27
Altavista, VA

line of sight

bad radio / modem not putting out correct voltage.

bad ground block / connector (never had this happen in my life)

warped dish / reflector?

diablo1892
Plough, sew, water, harvest. Repeat.

join:2011-04-21
Friendly, WV
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·HughesNet Satell..
reply to kimmygibbler

Well its deffinately, by far worse imo.. But what do I know? I never had 9000, i was never positive if it was the storm or Hughes. When my signal drops somewhere below 80 something I start getting those so called web accelerator errors that corrosive is always pointing out to me, my modem just starts messing up real bad, unusable, can't do anything with it untill the connection returns back to normal.
--
HT1000/ BeamID 32/ Power Max plan/ 4 pcs on a D-Link wired switch/ wireless D-Link router with password
Support only the gaming company's that matter the most, pay for something that actually is worth buying
or has a good reason for how much it's worth.

PCsongBird

join:2006-12-07
Hawthorne, FL

1 edit

Well Diablo, there is probably something else at play with your system I am thinking. During Hurricane Sandy we used the 1000 through most of the storm. While the storm passed by us offshore here in Fla, we still had 50+ wind and some very heavy rain bands. I was amazed, but we were online and doing fine with signal between 30-40. A few times it dropped down to 0 and of course we did loose the signal then, but it would always come back up when the heavier bands passed. Our normal sig during that time of the year (still hot and humid) was around 121. Right now with cool dry air at 50 degrees our sig is 131. As I understand it, the mod code and the bit depth will vary with the sig strength, adapting along the way to maintain a signal in bad weather on this modem.
--
HN9000-Elite-Spaceway3/HT1000-PowerMax-EchoStar17/Dual 3.2G P4 Rackmount Pro Tools Computer/HP Pavilion dv7 i7/Toshiba Satellite 5105/Linksys E3000/WinXP Pro SP3/Win7 64bit/Chrome

diablo1892
Plough, sew, water, harvest. Repeat.

join:2011-04-21
Friendly, WV
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·HughesNet Satell..

said by PCsongBird:

Well Diablo, there is probably something else at play with your system I am thinking.

Sure, then i guess i'm looking forward to buying an entire modem, while i'm at why don't i replace everything like the satellite and the cable(everything) but there's just 1 little problem, its gonna take 2 years before this will happen. The service is just so expensive.
--
HT1000/ BeamID 32/ Power Max plan/ 4 pcs on a D-Link wired switch/ wireless D-Link router with password
Support only the gaming company's that matter the most, pay for something that actually is worth buying
or has a good reason for how much it's worth.

grohgreg
Dunno. Ask The Chief

join:2001-07-05
Dawson Springs, KY

The "service" should cost you nothing during the warranty period. Whereas it's likely a bug on Hughes end, many times you don't actually have to wait till it clears itself. Go into the Advanced menu, specifically to Web Acceleration/Control. Disable, then immediately Enable, try browsing again. If that doesn't improve things, go back and Disable temporarily. Browsing will slow some, but at least it will work. Next time you use the Internet, you can likely first go back to that page and Enable again

//greg//
--
HN7000S - 98cm Prodelin/2w "pure" Osiris - ProPlus - G16/1001H - NOC:GTN - NAT 67.142.115.130 - Gateway 66.82.25.10 - DNS 66.82.4.12 and 66.82.4.8 - Firefox 15/MSIE9 - AV/Firewalled by NIS2012

A Tech

join:2008-11-10
reply to kimmygibbler

Get a squinter and try again. If it difficult to get it to squint with equal values get another reflector.