Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

jamesonnorth

join:2012-12-22
Modoc, IN
reply to Smith6612

Re: [DSL] Milking Frontier for all their network is worth

Since Frontier is focusing a lot of money into getting their network up and running like it should, it doesn't surprise me they own all the fiber from CO's to remote locations. It does surprise me they'd stick with companies like VZ, who refuse to lease more bandwidth to them.

In my area, if Frontier wants more bandwidth, there are lots of options, even though I'm in the country. Zayo, which is a company with nationwide and international fiber, has dark fiber running along a highway just a few miles away, and they've said they're willing to lease multiple gigabits to anyone who wants it for not too high a price. However, I bet Frontier has plenty of bandwidth to my CO because I've never experienced a congestion issue. It was a Verizon CO until Frontier took over, and Verizon only ever offered T1 service from that CO. I know there weren't very many T1 subscribers out here, so I imagine VZ never invested in much backhaul. I also would guess mine was a CO Frontier wired up with Fiber since we couldn't even get DSL service until around 2008 or 2009. With new a new backhaul connection installed in 2007 or 2008, why run a T3/DS3 or a bunch of T1s? It only makes sense to lease a OCx line.