uniqs
wirelessdog
join:2008-07-15
Queen Anne, MD

wirelessdog to callendula

to callendula

Re: Losing speed between wisp module and computer

Pictures speak a thousand words...

1. That installation is horrible. The connection between the radio and the antenna is not weather sealed. The zip ties holding the radio to the pole will fail at some point.

2. The percentages you are quoting are the results of link efficiency tests. You might want to call them and make sure they a.) run 10 second tests and b.) run three in a row. 95% and above is ok, anything less will be problematic. If they run the said tests at the default 2 second intervals it really isn't an accurate test.

3. You are using a Motorola Canopy 900mhz system. Here is the issue and probably why you are seeing slow speeds. The Access Point only has an aggregate throughput of 4megs. That would typically equate to 3megs down and 1meg up. Herein lies the issue. That is the total for ALL customers. So if they have 50 customers on the access point you have the 3down/1up split between all of them.

It is certainly possible to manage QoS, etc to manage a high number of users - we have 50+ on a Canopy 900mhz system but you have to make sure everything is set and set properly or you will have issues. If they run their network anything like they installed the equipment they aren't going to be knowledgeable to properly have QoS, protocol filters, control slots, etc in place.

I would venture to say there is nothing you can do on your end to help rectify the problem.
jcremin
join:2009-12-22
Siren, WI

jcremin

said by wirelessdog:

The connection between the radio and the antenna is not weather sealed.

This is the same thing I was going to point out. Any bit of moisture in that connector has the ability to cause major problems and there's nothing sealing it to prevent water from getting in to begin with.

If they told you they guarantee 1 meg service, then have them come out and show you that you are getting at least that much. I don't personally know Canopy, but I can say that it is a bad idea to judge throughput solely based on what the AP reports. Real world throughput may be much lower.

Another potential issues is a congested backhaul, where the bottleneck isn't between you and the tower. This means that there may in fact be plenty of speed to the tower, but somewhere between the tower and their main feed could be slowing things down.

I have a hard time believing that it really is congestion, as those types of issues are usually worse at peak times and much better in the middle of the night. It sounds like you have slow speeds all the time, which I would say is more likely an issue with the 900mhz wireless link to your house, whether it is at the tower or with the install at your house.

callendula
@nothnbut.net

callendula to wirelessdog

Anon

to wirelessdog
said by wirelessdog:

Pictures speak a thousand words...

Thanks for the suggestions! Oh..ok..thanks for clearing that up--with the spread out of speed between the customers. I thought that meant 3mbps for EACH customer..not having to split between them. That is where my understanding was faulty. So they are sending out 3 across the area and whoever is using it at the time, makes it split between them. I can see how that would be a problem, especially over the years since we have had it. It would make sense to think that they have added more customers since we first signed up. Thank you for clearing that up for me!

This company is not the original we signed up with. The first one we had was bought out--which we thought maybe was the problem. Perhaps they were not as skilled at what they did. But, it could be that, or the fact that they've gained customers and haven't updated their system to handle it.

They have said we could get a 50-70ft pole and then use a 2.4 (I think) antenna. That is supposed to get a faster speed. However, the pole was $200-300 for installation. I'd hate to spend the money only to find we aren't having any better speed. Any ideas about that route?
callendula

callendula to jcremin

Anon

to jcremin
said by jcremin:

This is the same thing...

I am mad that they didn't set this up correctly. If it is something on their end..I guess I am stuck. Being rural, we don't have any other choice than satellite..and that costs much more plus the weather affects it.

Yep, constant slow speed. I guess we will try a new cable just to see (they supply equipment free so wouldn't hurt to try). We called, but they are closed for vacation, so guess it will be later next week before we can have them send a tech back out and have them check the connections again, and the other suggestions here in this thread, etc.

Semaphore
Premium Member
join:2003-11-18

1 edit

Semaphore

Premium Member

At the very least that coupler between the Module and the antenna needs to by taken apart and checked for water. If there is water in there then they should both be replaced as they will oxidize and the connection will only get worse. If there isn't water in there it's a miracle but it should then be properly weather proofed using COAX seal and/or Self Amalging tape and 3M electrical tape. You can find a thread on the WISP forum where John Galt explained the best way to do that. BTW That type of connector is called an N connector and there is a widely held belief that they are weather proof an of themselves - that's is absolutely wrong - they MUST be weather sealed.

I'd also ask the WISP to check the Ethernet Stats on the unit. Input or Output errors on the Ethernet interface could point to a faulty interface/protector or NIC. Not too likely on Motorola equipment but it does happen. A Semi-Deaf interface would yield poor performance at all times as it might be trying to run Half Duplex and your gear is trying Full Duplex - I find a lot of Wifi routers don't do well with determining when to use HD vs. FD.

S

Edit - I can't spell and COAX isn't spell checkable lol

callendula
@nothnbut.net

callendula

Anon

said by Semaphore:

At the very least that coupler between the Module and the antenna needs to by taken apart and checked for water. ....

A Semi-Deaf interface would yield poor performance at all times as it might be trying to run Half Duplex and your gear is trying Full Duplex - I find a lot of Wifi routers don't do well with determining when to use HD vs. FD.

S

Thank you! Is there a way to force my router to use one or the other exclusively to see if it changes anything with regards to the fd or hd? If that is something I could try while waiting for their offices to open again next week.
wirelessdog
join:2008-07-15
Queen Anne, MD

wirelessdog

said by callendula :

said by Semaphore:

At the very least that coupler between the Module and the antenna needs to by taken apart and checked for water. ....

A Semi-Deaf interface would yield poor performance at all times as it might be trying to run Half Duplex and your gear is trying Full Duplex - I find a lot of Wifi routers don't do well with determining when to use HD vs. FD.

S

Thank you! Is there a way to force my router to use one or the other exclusively to see if it changes anything with regards to the fd or hd? If that is something I could try while waiting for their offices to open again next week.

Not on a consumer grade router. Trying going direct into your PC and forcing it to 10/half

Semaphore
Premium Member
join:2003-11-18

Semaphore to callendula

Premium Member

to callendula
Forcing your PC to a specific speed/duplex may make it worse, or may make it better. Try 10/Half, 10/Full 100/Half and 100/Full to see if any of them make a difference. Your PC must be directly connected to the short flat black cable on the Power injector so that it is directly connected to the Motorola.

You could try a continuous ping to the ISP's gateway at the same time (ping -t on windows). You will see 'request timed out' or 'general failure media disconnected' when the speed/duplex is changed but it should return to 'reply from ' once the mode has switched. Better still you would ping the Motorola unit itself but it might be in bridge mode so finding it's IP may not be easy.

Doing this you WILL create errors on the Ethernet interface when you switch Speed/Duplex, You will also create carrier detect/carrier loss events, so if the WISP checks the Ethernet stats and the unit has not been power cycled they SHOULD see errors.

(Hint if they don't see errors they are either not looking in the right place or someone has since power cycled the unit or they are not being ummm entirely 'transparent')

S