Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

jamesonnorth

join:2012-12-22
Modoc, IN
reply to chisel

Re: Antennas - Yagi or Grid?

Take it from a guy who tried very hard for a very long time to get a long wireless link to work: higher antennas function better in all circumstances, and amps usually help when dealing with external antennas. If you can elevate the antenna so it goes through an area that's only 60% as dense as on the ground, do it because that's another 40% more signal that can get through. I'd use a parabolic dish or a parabolic grid with an amp and high quality low-loss cable as high as you can get it. If it's feasible, go for above the treeline, but with LTE being below 2GHz, line of sight isn't such a huge deal. You might be able to get away with a large omni or sector/panel antenna and a really high powered amp, as it'll be less difficult to aim and an omni will be best for wind-resistance.

chisel
Premium
join:2009-09-01
Henderson, KY
I agree about height, but that didn't help on top of my chimney because of the trees and possibly the power lines. Going higher than the treetops was cost-prohibitive (I looked at crankup/crankover towers) so I put up a 4.5" diameter 16' pole approx. where I'm standing in the second pic. Will need to cut some small trees and larger limbs, and at 16' up, the antenna will have nothing in the way except maybe distant tree tops. I might even be able to see the tower but haven't been to the top of the pole yet.

Along with a high-powered amp., I purchased 1/2" coax and have trenched in the ground wire and conduit, but haven't finished the installation yet because I ran out of good weather...about 4" of snow on the ground now but next weekend the high is supposed to be 40 so maybe then.