how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

demogr

join:2009-11-12
Madison, WI

[CATV] [MadisonWI] missing channel on Tivo, ok on TV

Approximately 2 weeks ago, my Tivo Premiere stopped being able to tune a set of local digital channels received over cable. DVR Diagnostics reports that it can get a signal lock, but no program lock. Channels not tuned are 607 (WKOWDT), 967 (WKOWDT2), 966 (WKOWDT3) in Madison Wisconsin over Charter Cable. These are the digital cable channels of the local ABC affiliate.

When trying to tune to any of these channels Tivo reports "Problem with the signal on this cable channel. Trying again." Have tried waiting, restarting Tivo, and restarting tuning adapter with no success.

All other channels are working fine, and I can receive these 3 channels directly on my TV, so the problem seems to be specific to the Tivo Premiere.

Can anyone else in Madison confirm a similar problem? Any ideas for a solution?

medvedd

join:2012-12-11
Madison, WI
I have a similar problem - can't get all WKOW stations on TV, but can on my DVR (Moxi):

»[CATV] Missing channels in Madison, WI?

I think something wrong is with the signal, not with our hardware.

demogr

Madison, WI
I agree. There is something about the signal that some devices (but not all) are having problems with. Several other folks on www.tivocommunity.com are also reporting problems with these channels and their Tivos.

demogr

Madison, WI
reply to medvedd
Medvedd, just wanted to let you know that the problem with channels 607, 966, & 967 on Tivos appears to have been fixed just this afternoon. No idea if this will solve your problem with your TV, but thought you should know.

medvedd

Madison, WI
Yep, my WKOW channels are back too!

jel

@wisc.edu
Mine are still missing.

Here is the history of what happened:
This started after an automatic software update to the TiVo Premieres that occurred on or around December 5, 2012. When I talked to Charter in Madison, WI, they said it was a TiVo problem and that a bunch of people in the Madison WI and Fitchburg WI service area were having. It does not affect any earlier versions of TiVo. We have an earlier TiVo and it has not been affected at all.

I live-chatted with TiVo support on December 11. The rep said it was because the SNR was not in the range of 30-35 dB and that I had to tell Charter to fix it.

I called Charter again and they said it was not due to their signal and it was a TiVo problem. They sent a tech out (I insisted) and they confirmed that everything was OK.

I called TiVo support back and the second rep insisted that the SNR had to be in the range of 29-35 db. Note: if you don't know what this means, see
»support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/150
(under Checking Signal Quality and expand Show the Steps and scroll to Step 6.)

So, I got an attenuator and got the signal down to 35 dB. Still no channels 607, 996, and 997. If I took the SNR down to 33 dB, then the primary signal strength was too low and I didn't see anything on any channel. (For what this refers to, go to the link above, go to Lock and Signal Strength and expand Show the Steps under "You can use the box Diagnostics screen to find more detailed information about the signal on a specific channel" then go to Step 6.)

So, with the still missing channels 607, 996 and 997 (WKOW-TV) but the signal strength and SNR in the approved range, I once again called TiVo support. After much troubleshooting with a third rep, not only did they conclude that my TiVo must be at fault, but then revealed to me that there were indeed other reports of this very phenomenon (which the first TiVo rep had claimed was impossible).

I'm supposed to be waiting for them to contact me about how this is going to be fixed. Rolling back the software patch is not, apparently, an option.

jel

@wisc.edu
Mine just came back last night! Yay! I sure wish somebody could tell us what the problem was and how it was fixed.

BluesFan
Waiting For A Stanley Cup

join:2002-05-25
Granite City, IL
reply to demogr
Something similar seems to be happening in the St. Louis area as well. It was odd...last Sunday it came back but then on Monday it was gone again.

Not sure what is going on.

medvedd

Madison, WI
reply to demogr
Here we go again... Since yesterday, everything is fine on TV, but DVR can't find any channel...