Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

1 recommendation

Kearnstd to PX Eliezer704

Premium Member

to PX Eliezer704

Re: Crooked business practices

because those people are not calling into tech support.

Younger generations are actually very poor with computers. They might be better at facebook than me(im 32). But most do not even know what a router is. when i was working Comcast Tech support I would get people who I could tell where in college and they did not even know how to power cycle a router or how to hook the cable box to the TV set.(even worse when its HDTV, the HDMI cable is not rocket science.)

Better at tech my ass.
PX Eliezer704
Premium Member
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River

PX Eliezer704

Premium Member

said by Kearnstd:

Younger generations are actually very poor with computers....

Better at tech my ass.

You are correct.

When my daughter started college last fall, we needed to visit the IT department because of a specific glitch getting her computer on their LAN.

I was astounded to see college kids down there who had NO IDEA how to do easy tasks such as updating their Windows software (which was a requirement for getting online with the college).
jc10098
join:2002-04-10

jc10098 to Kearnstd

to Kearnstd
And being we fall into the 30-49 Age range... Id say we've seen technology quite a bit. However, I'm 30 and I didn't own a personal computer (not counting the Atari) until I was 16. I taught myself much of what I know. i have friends nearing a few years older than I that are using smartphones but are pretty limited on their understanding of computers.

I'd put it this way. Kids growing up now are connected from birth. Whether they know the fundamentals is a bit tricky. Most are younger so while they know Facebook at 12 or 13, we can't surmise what 15 or 20 years brings. Kids understand their phones, browsing, etc.

Certainly, kids today have no clue about DOS. I took Dos in high school and I forget just about every bit of it. I also despise Linux (ya ya string me up). I know some but nothing to brag. However, I can set up a router, build a computer, troubleshoot, get file sharing going, etc etc. I'm sure a lot kids today don't know.

However, they are still young and we're second guessing their abilities once they reach adulthood.

Remember folks, the first time 50 percent of the U.S. owned a home computer wasn't until the year 2000 and internet hit the 50% mark in 2001.

Census Bureau Source on Computer Ownership

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy to PX Eliezer704

Premium Member

to PX Eliezer704
said by PX Eliezer704:

said by Kearnstd:

Younger generations are actually very poor with computers....

Better at tech my ass.

You are correct.

When my daughter started college last fall, we needed to visit the IT department because of a specific glitch getting her computer on their LAN.

I was astounded to see college kids down there who had NO IDEA how to do easy tasks such as updating their Windows software (which was a requirement for getting online with the college).

If I were in college, I would obtain Internet service through a commercial provider (using a mobile broadband card if necessary) as I would not want the college snooping on my Internet usage.