share rss forum feed

floydb1982

join:2004-08-25
Kent, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Clearwire Wireless

[Outlook] Can I use IMAP over POP3?

I want to setup my Outlook.com email with with Windows Live Messenger. I know that Microsoft uses POP3 for email. I hate POP3 because your emails are downloaded to your computer were as IMAP leaves your email's on the server. Can I use IMAP instead of POP3 when setting up my Outlook.com email in Windows Live Mail???

Hank
Searching for a new Frontier
Premium
join:2002-05-21
Burlington, WV
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
Yes, I have used IMAP with Outlook. Google it and you will get several hits. One such hit is »www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=···69,d.dmQ

Shootist
Premium
join:2003-02-10
Decatur, GA
reply to floydb1982
Even though POP downloads email to the computer does not mean you can not leave a Copy on the server. I have been doing that for years. There is a setting in each email program for each email account to leave a copy on the server for X days. The X number of days is determined by You. I normally leave messages on the server for 14 day unless they are deleted by me on my computer and then they are removed from the server.

This way if you have 2/3/4/5/6 devices (computers or other devices) when you check your email on any of them, within the X number of days you have designated, you get those same emails on all devices.

Sure IMAP may be better in some ways but not in others. Like Google putting everything in the All Mail Folder and deleting anything from that folder deletes it completely from their system and your devices.
--
Shooter Ready--Stand By BEEP ********

Hank
Premium
Burlington, WV
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
I failed to mention that Shootist, some very good points. I don't like IMAP for several reasons. I set my POP accounts to retain a copy of the email on the server for 14 days. I also up Outlook backup. It is no longer furnished with Outlook but you can still get the app from the Microsoft web site and it does work with Outlook 2010. I can't say for later versions for Outlook. I have it set to backup my files every 7 days.

Joey1973

@verizon.net
reply to floydb1982
POP3 can leave your messages on the server if you tell it to. You can also just download the message headers first (instead of the entire message) and then download the message only when/if you open it.

Premium
join:2003-09-29
New York, NY
^^ What he said ^^ it's juat options, it has nothing to do with the protocol that you use.

Kramer
Premium,Mod
join:2000-08-03
Richmond, VA
kudos:2
reply to Hank
said by Hank:

Yes, I have used IMAP with Outlook. Google it and you will get several hits. One such hit is »www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=···69,d.dmQ

I believe the OP is referring to Outlook.com not the application Outlook. Outlook.com does not as of yet support the IMAP protocol, so the answer is no. There is no client that would allow IMAP support using the service. There is no way to simulate iMAP using POP. No matter what you do, you would not have the same sent mail among different devices, read mail would be different, etc.

Hank
Premium
Burlington, WV
Yes, after rereading he is talking about outlook.com.

Kramer
Premium,Mod
join:2000-08-03
Richmond, VA
kudos:2
reply to floydb1982
Let me offer a work-around until MS supports IMAP, which they have hinted they will. Create A GMAIL account and forward all mail from the Outlook.com account to it. Set up GMAIL to send-as the Outlook.com address using their (outlook.com) servers to send. Set that as your default sending account. No one will know you have the GMail account or its address if you desire. Set up your mail client to attach to the GMail IMAP server. There you have it.