share rss forum feed

MrsFixitSC
IvVe Got A License To Chill
Premium
join:2001-12-09
Moncks Corner, SC

Any Bokeh Insight?

Click for full size
I'm starting to experiment with bokeh...and this is one of my first forays...I seem to be able to get the effect part cared for in one image, and I seem to be able to get the focal point cared for in another, but can't seem to get them to work together and I'm not sure what I'm missing. If the effect works, then the focal point is way dark. Or if I get the focal point correct, the bokeh effect is lost. using a flash overpowers the bokeh but highlights the focal point and I lose the bokeh...any thoughts or tips on how to proceed?? This was/is the best of the images, but is somewhat washed...it's the closest I've come yet.
--
~~~RCL Liberty of the Seas-Nov 2008~~~

~~~A bad day of vacation, still beats a good day at work~~~

~^~^~Proud Parrothead~^~^~

krazyboi
Premium
join:2008-06-27
Mckinney, TX
kudos:1

what are your camera settings?

adjust

@tmodns.net
reply to MrsFixitSC

For flash you could reduce its intensity by putting a filter or tissue in front of it or cover it partially or move it away. You may also be able to reduce intensity with a camera adjustment for fill flash -1 -2 etc. Or some external flaxhes have manual partial power settings.

For incandescent or led lights etc you can vary their distance or dim them. Their advantage is being able to see the effect

Jodokast96
Stupid people really piss me off.
Premium
join:2005-11-23
Erial, NJ
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to MrsFixitSC

I'm far from a lighting expert, but I think flash is the wrong way to go here. I'd try some static lighting in this case as it should make it easier for you to balance everything out since you should not need all that much. A few of these »www.lowes.com/pd_203213-1373-FL-···_price|0 (or anything you may already have) should get you there cheap.

jjoshua
Premium
join:2001-06-01
Scotch Plains, NJ
kudos:3
reply to MrsFixitSC

We need some exif information to help with this. Try experimenting outside with good lighting.

Jodokast96
Stupid people really piss me off.
Premium
join:2005-11-23
Erial, NJ
kudos:2
reply to MrsFixitSC

One other thought. Is the cutout you're using to create the heart shape obscuring the image in anyway? It looks like it may, which is where the washing out may come from.

orion940
Attractive like a magnet
Premium
join:2001-12-23
Windsor, CT
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to jjoshua

said by jjoshua:

We need some exif information to help with this. Try experimenting outside with good lighting.

That was my first thought. Get the effect working in better light. A can of soup on a table with the kitchen or something in the background. Or something outdoors. Get a snapshot you like with that lighting, then go to the more difficult subjects.

Then you can see what needs to be worked on.

Post up the ones you like that you have.

O.
--
Windsor, Home of the Decorative Zamboni